Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One could wonder if Airstreams use of the GYM ST225/75R15D is another way to generate ancillary sales of parts and repair service due to tire failure.

It seems that eveything today in the corporate culture is a sub-profit center. Even shipping charges that are twice or three times the value of the stamp on the envelope or package generate a small profit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Airstream, for whatever reason, supplies four GYM ST225/75R15D tires on the tandem axle trailers (or two on the single axle trailers) plus one as a spare. They have to be responsible that the tire will do the job or there would be a huge liability exposure.

If the load capacity of the tires they mount are equal to or exceed the axle capacity, and if the GVWR of the trailer is within what the sum of the axle capacities and the tongue weight, then Airstream has met the requirements, I would think.
If the tires fail, I would guess the majority of the burden lies with the tire manufacturer, as it is they who tell Airstream that their product meets the desired specs for use.

From a corporate level, at least some of this is about risk management, and they ( GoodYear and Airstream ) know there are going to be "some failures" in the field. Some of these failures may be user error ( overloaded, underinflated, overspeed ) and some may be due to manufacturer defect. It's why the tire company has a warranty, etc.

What amazes me about the whole thing is why many folks defend the whole ST tire scenario. Why should we accept a product that limits us to 65 mph and has to be replaced on age alone in three to five years when we can instead use a tire ( LT in this case ) that has a 100 mph limit, giving us a potentially larger margin of safe operating envelope, and which has a ten year lifespan ( according to Michelin ).
I'm just not seeing why I should have any love for a ST.

With all due respect to the poster who commented, I suspect Airstream
has thought long and hard about all of this, as evidenced by the fact they fit Michelin LT to some of their trailers as OE and make it optional on others. Sounds to me like it's simply about dollars....as in more dollars of profit for them if they can get a consumer to accept ST at the normal selling price of the trailer. And then when you do option the bigger wheels and LT tires, even more profit, as they are essentially double charging you for wheels and tires, as the option price is nearly what it would cost you to go out and buy the 16" upgrade after you get the trailer home.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That comment about Airstream double charging for better tires is correct. I have ordered a 2014 27FB Classic to be built in January with only the options we want. I asked about having the 16" Michelin tires and 16" SenDel wheels installed while the unit is being built. After all, the Eddie Bauer model can be built with these tires so they are in the building.

They mount the 15" tires and wheels on the trailer and then apparently charge for the installation and the 16" tires and wheels with no credit for the 15" that would typically come off and stay in their inventory. Also, while Airstream makes a profit on this option sale, if it comes from from the factory, the dealership gets a piece of the pie as well.

I elected to source the 16" Michelin tires and SenDel wheels locally, have Costco mount the 5 tires on the new wheels and personally take them to the trailer and install them myself along with a set of Centramatics (perhaps even install them on the dealership lot). I will then sell the 15" GYM ST tires along with the 15" factory rims and recover some of the costs of the upgrade.

I am also looking into the Dill TPMS system, but on their web site they only have two valve stem diameters (0.453"and 0.625") and the SenDel wheels have a 17mm (0.699") valve stem hole for a T-14-R valve stem.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #46
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I am also looking into the Dill TPMS system, but on their web site they only have two valve stem diameters (0.453"and 0.625") and the SenDel wheels have a 17mm (0.699") valve stem hole for a T-14-R valve stem.
switz,

Interesting observation .699" stem. Certainly merits contacting Dill if you haven't. I contacted them when I researched my purchase. Got info straight from someone willing to listen and offer answers.

I think 16's are my next project.

One thing I have done while the trailer is waiting for the next outing, I have a pair of 1 ton p/u screw jacks and have taken some weight off of the axles and tires.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One thing I have done while the trailer is waiting for the next outing, I have a pair of 1 ton p/u screw jacks and have taken some weight off of the axles and tires.

Have a look at the way ROBERT CROSS stores his TT for winter.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote