Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post

P.P.P.S. Okay, I admit it: that exhaust brake is pretty darned awesome.
Yes, it sure is. We traversed a number of 6% and 7% grades in the Mogollon Rim area of Arizona yesterday (our backyard, essentially), climbing from 2500 ft. to 7600 feet and the GMC 3/4 ton with Duramax/Allison performed effortlessly with our fully loaded 2016 30' International. And while going down the grades... no brake input was required... the entire rig was held perfectly in check by the engine brake, without my having to put any wear at all on the truck, nor on the trailer brakes.

My wife was ESPECIALLY comfortable going down the long, steep grades, which is really saying quite a lot!

This isn't to say you without an engine brake you would be sorely lacking. It's just pointing out a factor you might want to consider.

Hogfan... you guys may do fine with the Denali, providing you are able to and are fine with going light on cargo.

If indeed there is 500# of payload left over after tongue weight (as someone else mentioned here earlier), and the two of you weigh perhaps 300#, that still leaves 200# of stuff to be carried in the Yukon before hitting the manufacturer's stated cargo capacity. For some people, that would be enough. For others, perhaps those with other family members included, and more stuff to bring along, it may put them at or over the manufacturer's rated cargo capacity. Some people don't mind exceeding the rating. Others are more respectful of the rating. Which are you?

It should be noted that selecting a less-loaded version of the Yukon will allow for more cargo capacity, as the luxury versions are more weighed down with goodies and these eat into available cargo capacity. You must look at the door jam sticker on the particular vehicle you are considering, to determine what the manufacturer's stated cargo capacity actually is for THAT particular vehicle.

The Yukon is arguably a more "comfortable" every-day-driver than a 3/4 ton diesel truck is. Depending on your choices, the difference in comfort and luxury conveniences isn't that big. Recent models of 3/4 ton diesel trucks can be surprisingly quiet, comfortable, and luxurious.

Have you driven a new 3/4 ton diesel Chevy, GMC, Dodge, or Ford lately???? They're NICE!

And if the price of a new Yukon Denali is within your comfort zone, then you can well afford a very comfortable, full-featured truck if you decide that is what you need for your requirements.

My wife had no problem whatsoever transitioning from our 2015 Yukon Denali to our 2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax/Allison. She feels very comfortable in the truck and doesn't miss the Yukon Denali in the least.

I'm not rallying for you to get a truck, an SUV, nor a van... it sure doesn't matter a bit to me and I have no agenda to discourage you from buying a truck, nor to discourage you from buying an SUV, nor a van.

I have no horse in this race. I just want to be sure that you understand all of the factors to consider in your decision, without being unduly swayed by anyone telling you that in their view, the Yukon is "just right for you", when they know nothing about your unique needs and, thus, it is possible that it may not be "just right" for your particular needs.

As an example of a scenario that no one here has even asked about... perhaps your husband and yourself weigh 370# and you have two young teenagers who together weigh 270#... the four of you weigh 640#. Add in the tongue weight of the trailer and you could be 140# OVER the cargo capacity of the Denali, and that is before you add in the weight of the family dog or ANYTHING else that you might want to bring along in the Denali!

These are the things that only you would know about and that's why NO ONE here can tell you whether the Yukon Denali is the TV for you, or not!

So please, take people's comments here with a lot more than just a grain of salt. People on the internet will spout off with a lot of stuff that can truly be detrimental to your desired aim. ONLY YOU can make a reasonable determination of what your requirements actually are, given knowledge of your unique set of requirements.

Just more info for your decision-making machine, Hogfan.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
You already know which TV to get....

I looked hard at the Yukon Denali when I was picking my TV earlier this year - I collected quite a bit of info on it which I have reproduced below. Info is for the 2015 Yukon Denali 4WD (6.2L V-8). Test data and review is here.

Trailer Weight rating – 8100 lbs
Trailer Tongue weight – 1000 lbs
Curb weight (no options) – 5746 lbs (C & D as tested 5816 lbs)
Max payload (will be reduced by options) -1554 lbs
GVWR – 7300 lbs
Front Axle Weight Rating – 3600 lbs
Rear Axle Weight Rating – 4300 lbs
70-0 stopping distance – 188 ft

Max trailer weight, tongue weight all look good for your 27FB.

Payload?

Assuming a payload of 1400 lbs (as indicated above in a few other posts, go and look at a few Yukon Denali’s at your dealer optioned as you would buy – confirm payload on the tire label on the door jamb on the drivers side)
27FB tongue – approx. 850 lbs (catalogue 770 lbs)
2 passengers – 400 lbs
Weight returned to AS by WD – 150 lbs

Payload remaining = 1400 – 850 – 400 + 150 = 300 lbs

Looks OK unless you plan on hauling a bunch of stuff, travelling with 2 passengers etc

Stopping distance - 70 to 0 is respectable at an average of 188 ft - in the same ballpark as all but the sportier Euro SUV’s and in line with ½ ton trucks. This is also better than any ¾ ton truck tested on C & D. The big three’s ¾ ton diesel rigs stop from 70 in 196 ft, 200 ft, 242 ft.

Based on the above, the Denali looks like a very capable match for the 27FB, loads of torque, power and adequate payload.

Negatives - the C & D test review indicated the suspension tuning left a bit to be desired - soft, floaty. I have also seen some reviews from people on here relative to less than stellar experiences and stability towing with the Tahoe / Yukon. Suspension tuning may be part of the reason. Getting the TV and hitch / WD set up properly would therefore be an area of focus for you with this TV. I’d recommend a CAT scale visit or 2 to dial it in. There are many options for sway control hitches. For this combination with relatively short wheelbase and less than stellar suspension tuning I know which one I’d be picking.

Other factors - given that you will be towing for only 1 weekend per month, a large part of your TV selection process should be focused around enjoyment of the vehicle when not towing. If you are thinking of getting a truck JUST because you will tow 1 weekend per month I think you will regret it. If you have a hankering for a truck (always wanted one, looking forward to owning one, etc) then by all means get the truck. Only you can answer that.

Perspective - I was in a similar position to you earlier this year. I have a 27FB. I test drove a Denali 2500 diesel, looked hard at a Yukon Denali, test drove a BMW X5 35d and ended up with a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. We did not want a truck or a big SUV. We wanted something fun to drive that was also a capable TV. That’s what we got.

You will probably have to put in a bit more time and effort (possibly $) to get the Yukon Denali set up how you like it when compared to a HD truck, you will need to be more mindful of what you can take with you (payload) but if you really want a Yukon Denali, you will have no problem putting in the extra effort to take care of these things and get it set up right.

That’s my 10 cents. Good luck.

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good objective analysis, Ohio!

Note that in Ohiobrits analysis above, simply adding two 150# passengers (or one of these passengers and some weighty cargo) puts the vehicle at manufacturer's maximum cargo capacity rating.

I don't know any of the Hogfan family particulars (how many family members, their combined weight, other desired cargo items in the TV), but if the towing is not involving any other passengers, nor extended trips which might involve much added cargo space/weight requirements, significant grades are minimal, and they don't need, nor want, nor forsee wanting to take along a good bit of outdoor related adventure items... then the Yukon Denali is likely a workable solution. We just don't know enough about all of the extenuating details of the Hogfan lifestyle and cargo capacity/space needs to make a recommendation.

The smart money here is to offer how to do the analysis (as you did) and let the Hogfans come up with their numbers and their own final conclusion as to what will meet their needs.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I'm not rallying for you to get a truck, an SUV, nor a van... it sure doesn't matter a bit to me and I have no agenda to discourage you from buying a truck, nor to discourage you from buying an SUV, nor a van.

I have no horse in this race. I just want to be sure that you understand all of the factors to consider in your decision, without being unduly swayed by anyone telling you that in their view, the Yukon is "just right for you", when they know nothing about your unique needs and, thus, it is possible that it may not be "just right" for your particular needs.
Amen to that.

I hope that once you and your husband seriously evaluate your needs and desires, that you reach an agreement on a choice with which you are both completely comfortable. If you're both satisfied with your decision, you'll likely be more relaxed and find the journey more enjoyable.

Jamey

(In spite of loving classic cars to distraction, I was never much of a truck girl, never envisioned owning a 3/4-ton diesel, and certainly never wanted a Dodge. I am in serious love with our Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn diesel. Humble pie is a lot easier to eat when it comes in Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl.)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
Amen to that.

I hope that once you and your husband seriously evaluate your needs and desires, that you reach an agreement on a choice with which you are both completely comfortable. If you're both satisfied with your decision, you'll likely be more relaxed and find the journey more enjoyable.

Jamey

(In spite of loving classic cars to distraction, I was never much of a truck girl, never envisioned owning a 3/4-ton diesel, and certainly never wanted a Dodge. I am in serious love with our Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn diesel. Humble pie is a lot easier to eat when it comes in Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl.)
Jamey... thanks. Good post.

BTW, can you recommend a good Airstream dealer in Albuquerque? Our fridge needs a good look-at.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #48
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
You need a truck...... a diesel truck....... once you have one, you'll understand.
No, you do not need a truck!

Only a tank is big enough and you need one! Anything else is just not enough with respect to payload, tongue weight limits, and testosterone...

The Denali is more than enough for your 27 footer. We tow with an SUV (yes we do!) and it is no issue. Well, our SUV has more torque than most ½ ton and even ¾ ton trucks... Hitch has been modified, brakes and suspension are also well suited to deal with our 25ft FB. We do not exceed the payload on the TV, 2 people, 2 50lbs dogs, water, snacks, the rest is in the airstream well balanced so that the tongue weight is within reason
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Indeed, thank you Ohio for the detailed analysis of the Yukon. Lots of good stuff. Between my husband myself, and two large dogs, I think we'll be around 550-600lbs. No kiddos. Probably carrying stuff like tools, occasionally 2 Honda generators, Tailgater satellite, small grill, cooler, and misc other junk. Luggage, etc can go inside the AS. Would love some long cross country trips, but probably not in the cards in the next few years with our work commitments. So long weekends in the TX vicinity for the coming years.

Does Chevy allow for a 150lb driver in their payload like Ford does?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Jamey... thanks. Good post.

BTW, can you recommend a good Airstream dealer in Albuquerque? Our fridge needs a good look-at.
You're welcome.

There's only one Airstream dealer, but they're great. Holiday Travel Trailers has two locations on the same street. One is for sales of new units, RV supplies and RV storage, and the other one is the location of their service facility and used RV sales. I'll send you a PM with the name and phone number of the service manager.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
Indeed, thank you Ohio for the detailed analysis of the Yukon. Lots of good stuff. Between my husband myself, and two large dogs, I think we'll be around 550-600lbs. No kiddos. Probably carrying stuff like tools, occasionally 2 Honda generators, Tailgater satellite, small grill, cooler, and misc other junk. Luggage, etc can go inside the AS. Would love some long cross country trips, but probably not in the cards in the next few years with our work commitments. So long weekends in the TX vicinity for the coming years.

Does Chevy allow for a 150lb driver in their payload like Ford does?
Hogfan... I think you've got your answer right there. You know what to do from here. Add up the weight of what you will want to carry with the weight of you and the dogs in the tow vehicle. Then go from there.

Please, let us know what your decision is and how it all works out!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Knuff, what SUV do you tow with out of curiosity?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Jayme, sounds like we play the reverse roles! Everyone's gotta have a worrier ;-) Ironically in our business my husband is the worrier, but at home, I'm the guilty party.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #54

Menlo Park , California
2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Initially, we towed a 20ft FC but upgraded earlier this year to a 25ft International FB. Modified the hitch receiver, got a modified Eaz lift hitch from CanAm and cannot be happier. A few weeks ago, we returned from a CA-NV-AZ-UT tour over multiple mountain passes and could not be happier with the Pepe's performance. Given the price on the Yukon Denali, the Porsche is actually a steal... plus it has a robust and proven Diesel engine...
Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #55

Menlo Park , California
BTW: We modified the 25ft airstream: removed the batteries and spare tire, switched to LT tires on the trailer, added solar and Li-ion batteries (that are under the bed). The Pepe's full spare is transported in the back of the airstream during trips (under the dinette table). No sway issues, very stable. The Porsche brakes (plus of course the airstream's) stop the whole train on a dime...
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
My TV has a 430 MEL gas V-8 and is factory rated with a 5000 lb. towing capacity. The Safari is 3100 lbs. dry weight, plus everything I've got in it still comes in below the factory towing capacity. I've got a nice equalizer hitch. The Airstream tows like a dream and with the trailer brakes, it stops pretty well too.

I agree with a lot of other people here. You have a great tow vehicle. Stay within the factory specs and towing should be safe and eventually fun. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4314.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	246459