Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Overcooked gear list provided.

We travel the country border-to-border and coast-to-coast and have many times with exactly zero of the items listed carried in our truck. Others carry large loads of gear to their favorite campsite, set up and spend some wonderful time there.

Spend some of the $65,000 big cool diesel truck cost and associated tax, interest and maintenance expenses on a $2500 hitch and a very good solar and battery storage system. Then manage the load you need.

Your present truck is a perfect match to your 27' Airstream, not too big and not too small. The question really is, does it match YOUR load-carrying needs. Many people haul way-the-heck too much crap around the country.

Oh, climbing and descending steep hills; that's why they come with a transmission. Select the gear you need and motor on.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
The Airstream rental company called Airstream To Go uses Yukon Denalies and Chevy Tahoes as their tow vehicles for their 28' trailers, so this combination has been tested. The 28' is very similar in size and weight to the 27FB. https://airstream2go.com/our-fleet

That being said, I am aware of two recent accidents involving a loss of control on this combination from this company. In one of them near me, the trailer developed sway that could not be corrected causing the TV and trailer to rollover on Hwy 101. The occupants were lucky and walked away. We can all speculate on what caused the sway such as improper loading, too much speed, driver inexperience, improper hitch, etc, etc. Would a larger tow vehicle have prevented this? Maybe or maybe not.

We all have to pay attention to proper trailering no matter what size our tow vehicles are, but it is critical with a smaller tow vehicle to ensure that the trailer is properly set up for the vehicle. I personally like the extra peace of mind I get from towing with a larger vehicle in knowing that if I did make a mistake in loading, or with my hitch, the tow vehicle is there to back me up.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A swaying trailer will take any tow vehicle off the road. And have, there are many videos on the internet if you want to watch.

Little or nothing to do with the op's question because sway is eliminated with a hitch designed to eliminate it, not control it.

The op has a truck, and a good one. He just has to load it within it's capacity like everyone else, no matter what truck we have.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Gainesville , Virginia
Bottom line is - you need to do the math to determine if your ratios are within the limits of safety. Having just made this decision for our Int'l 27FB, we went with an Expedition as it gives me an additional 800 pounds to play with over the Yukon Denali. The Denali would have been my first choice, but being able to have the 800# cushion made the choice a little less painful (and saving $20k didn't hurt either).

One good site I found to help calculate is: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator.

Good luck and travel safely!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
There are a lot of great choices, each having it's own advantages / disadvantages.
My wifes Yukon with the 5.3 can pull the grade with ease and is very comfortable going down the road. My 89 FSuperduty with the 460ci and ZF5 trans/Dana80 rear with a 5.38:1 can pull mine AND your rig too.
It all comes down to personal preferences and associated costs. I laugh all the way to the bank because I don't need the latest and prettiest truck on the road.

There are some awesome older rigs to be found. I have towed with the Ford Diesel F-250 and F-350, The big Dodge with the Cummins. They are identical in that when you mash the throttle it goes, and when you stomp the brake it stops. (I like the jake brake on the Dodge). The rest is commentary.
Go as big as you can afford. If you can pay cash for a good older rig, you will have more $$ to budget for a longer trip with more to spend on other things.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Go at least a 2500 chevy durmax diesel and you will always be a happy camper, plenty of power and room to car all the junk, generator, chairs and on and on and when the better half goes shopping she will have plenty of space to all the finds home.
remember the old saying- happy wife-happy life

Earl
Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . My '11 Ecoboost just towed my FC28 to Alaska & back without issues, except for the slight damage from REALLY bad roads (including a blown Michelin on the TV), so use what you are comfortable with. I also had 4 new Carlisle trailer tires on the AS without a problem. Remember, opinions are like . . . noses, everbody has one, just digest what you read, consider the relevant, & move forward.. . . and Welcome to the forum, regards, Craig
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
I personally like the extra peace of mind I get from towing with a larger vehicle in knowing that if I did make a mistake in loading, or with my hitch, the tow vehicle is there to back me up.

The copilot/navigator pointed out this is why she likes our F250 diesel 4x4 xtra cab short bed 4 wheel antilock disc brakes antisway bars truck and 27' AS set up - the truck is in charge, the trailer is along for the ride.
We went hiking the other day and there was a newer BMW X5 parked at the trail head. She asked what its tow rating was. I said about 6,000#. And our truck she asked. 10,000# for a regular trailer I said. Let's keep our truck. I like the SUVs but prefer the truck for towing.
With us it's unanimous.
Get what fits best.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Go at least a 2500 chevy durmax diesel and you will always be a happy camper, plenty of power and room to car all the junk, generator, chairs and on and on and when the better half goes shopping she will have plenty of space to all the finds home.
remember the old saying- happy wife-happy life

Earl
My wife is a rock collector!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi again from AZ & p.s. . . My truck has a Banks cold air box & cat back exhaust, & air bags on the rear. The AS got a big solar panel & a smart charger to prepare for these adventures..............FYI, regards, Craig
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have fairly extensive Airstream towing experience. We have been doing this for ten years now, and have towed our Airstreams 150,000 miles and have spent 1,600 nights in them.

We have two two vehicles. One is a 2005 Suburban 2500 and the other is a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Duramax. We are towing a 25FB that weighs 7,400#.

We use the Suburban for the winter months, mainly in the flat southeast. The big diesel truck is used in the summer for the big cross country trips.

The Suburban is a great tow vehicle for the flat lands. The Diesel is great for the mountains. It does especially well with sever western downgrades.

Both do the job, but I will have to admit that the diesel is a better overall towing machine.

When the old Suburban get replaced, it will most likely be replaced with another diesel powered tow vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 08-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The answer to the question of "is this an appropriate towing vehicle?" will be found by taking the proposed fully fueled tow vehicle across CAT scales with the driver inside and comparing the numbers on the scale weight ticket for the front axle and rear axle weights (which are totaled to be the current empty weight of the vehicle with driver) and comparing those numbers to those on the sticker on the driver's door post. If the vehicle is designed for towing, the sticker should also state a rating for the maximum trailer weight as well as the maximum combined weight of the fully loaded tow vehicle and fully loaded trailer.

If the remaining payload calculated above is less than the weights of potential accessories to be added to the tow vehicle plus

the total weight of all the potential passengers

plus all the stuff to be carried inside or on the tow vehicle

plus the tongue weight of the trailer (the published number of the tongue weight in Airstream literature is notorious for being significantly understated),

then perhaps a different choice for tow vehicle with greater payload needs to be considered.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
My wife likes to take a lot of stuff every time she wants to add something she will say "it's not very heavy". So I have a 2500 ram crew cab and 8ft. bed with a cap with a cummins. We had to exit I77 due to a wreck a few weeks ago and ended up on a 4.5 mile 8% down grade then back up a 2.5 mile 7% climb those are the days I'm glad to have a big TV. And the milage is not bad 13.75 to 16 mpg varies with area of travel and weather.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Thank you all SO much for your input! I certainly do understand and pretty much agree that ideally, we'd pull our 27' with a truck- maybe even a 2500 diesel. No one seems to be able to argue that that combo ISN'T a good combination. The challenge as many of you know does indeed include $, daily driving needs, space, and just what "works" for your lifestyle and then trying to balance all of those pieces together, which may not always lead you to a 2500 diesel. Believe me, if I had unlimited funds, I'd buy one right away + whatever else I wanted to drive day to day. I wish!

I will work to pull more of the stats on this combo for everyone's reference. I do continue to read as much as I can and search for available alternate options that could include a truck. Of course, THAT is a whole other debate, WHICH truck I won't start that here now! But, even if one decides on a truck, there are still MANY options to consider, and many good options.

I had to chuckle at an earlier post about newbies being over analytical. It's so true! We just can't help ourselves b/c we don't even know what we don't know. When we got this AS, we had not yet even uncovered the significance of payload and how impactful that would be in this scenario.

As a newbie, many of us suffer from analysis paralysis! There is just SO much to learn and it can be overwhelming and of course you want to make exactly the right decision. It's not like buying a pair of $100 shoes, they don't actually work and you either return them or just let them sit in the closet unused. The stakes here are all $30,000-$70,000 and you can't afford too many mistakes in that realm.

But, I truly appreciate everyone's input and honestly, I enjoy the various feedback from different viewpoints! It helps us to see all sides of this argument and really try to determine where we fit into it.