Old 05-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
How stiff is too stiff......in the TV suspension

I'm trying to determine if I need to make changes to my suspension.

I'm hoping this doesn't stir up the old tow vehicle/tow ratings/payload capacity controversies.

I know it is bad for Airstreams to have a very stiff suspension in the TV (or over rated WD).
My Sequoia has what I think is a pretty harsh ride around town (a stiff suspension). When pulling the AS on some sections of interstates the ride is very bouncy and rough (some sections cause a fast bounce in the back seat....my kids bouncing up and down a couple of times per second). I realize rough interstates are to be expected and "normal", but I have no way to compare my ride with other TV's. I assume this bouncing is transferring to the the front of the AS. Is this bad for the AS? Or is the bouncing good compared to a hard/short bump without up and down movement? When I pull my AS I think I should try new shocks until I drive around town and notice the hard truck-like ride.

I have a 2011 Toyota Sequoia. I pulled a 23fb not properly set up. I pulled the 23fb PROPERLY set up. I now pull a 25fb properly set up. I have not weighed the 25fb setup yet, but the wheel well measurements look good. The ride in all three scenarios was not that different despite the differences in tongue weight. I have pm'd other AF members who have Sequoia's and none complain about their ride. Perhaps I'm the problem.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Before you tare into the TV suspension take a look at this.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have an Airsafe to which is bolted a WD hitch. It works!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I'm trying to determine if I need to make changes to my suspension.

I'm hoping this doesn't stir up the old tow vehicle/tow ratings/payload capacity controversies.

I know it is bad for Airstreams to have a very stiff suspension in the TV (or over rated WD).
My Sequoia has what I think is a pretty harsh ride around town (a stiff suspension). When pulling the AS on some sections of interstates the ride is very bouncy and rough (some sections cause a fast bounce in the back seat....my kids bouncing up and down a couple of times per second). I realize rough interstates are to be expected and "normal", but I have no way to compare my ride with other TV's. I assume this bouncing is transferring to the the front of the AS. Is this bad for the AS? Or is the bouncing good compared to a hard/short bump without up and down movement? When I pull my AS I think I should try new shocks until I drive around town and notice the hard truck-like ride.

I have a 2011 Toyota Sequoia. I pulled a 23fb not properly set up. I pulled the 23fb PROPERLY set up. I now pull a 25fb properly set up. I have not weighed the 25fb setup yet, but the wheel well measurements look good. The ride in all three scenarios was not that different despite the differences in tongue weight. I have pm'd other AF members who have Sequoia's and none complain about their ride. Perhaps I'm the problem.
After hooking up ready for the road, stand on the coupler and jump up and down.

The coupler should move vertically at least one to two inches.

If not, then the coupling is too rigid.

Andy
Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think your suspension is too stiff. A little bounce means the suspension is working and doing its job. You might need some better shocks to damp out some of the oscillations. If you had an F350 then I might be worried about it. It is lack of movement that is bad. When the suspension does not move, all the stress goes into the structure of the trailer and truck.

Perry
Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I was considering heavier shocks, but I was/am confused since my ride is rough when not pulling the AS. Doesn't that mean the shocks are fairly stiff?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Either that or you are running too much air in your tires. The only time you would run them near max pressure is when towing. The rest of the time they will rattle your teeth out. I don't know what the rating is on your tires but an 80 psi tire might only need 40 psi when running empty. I don't run mine anywhere near max pressure.

Perry
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I was considering heavier shocks, but I was/am confused since my ride is rough when not pulling the AS. Doesn't that mean the shocks are fairly stiff?
Springs get stiff, shocks just dampen.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Well.....I've got Michelin p275/65 R18 ( I think) Max PSI is 44 for 2,400 lbs. Toyota says 35 psi. I usually leave them at 40. I will drop back to 35 if I won't be towing for awhile. I'd like to change to LT's ( and I may sooner than later) but the michelins have 60k on them and look brand new.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Also consider if your trailer is riding too stiff. I have a GMC Yukon which rides stiff around town, and a 25FB AS. The combination rides poorly. The AS has GY Marathons. This weekend I cut the AS air pressure by 15 lbs and it helped.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
.....snip....
The AS has GY Marathons. This weekend I cut the AS air pressure by 15 lbs and it helped.
I'm subbing to this thread. This is just about popcorn time.....
Old 05-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think a trip to the CAT scales at a truck stop may be a good starting place to get some numbers. Cross the scale with the trailer in tow then go in back and drop the trailer and cross the scales with the tow vehicle only (tell the office it is a re-way so the charge is $2 versus $10 of the first pass).

Then contact your hitch manufacturer to discuss your numbers and see if there are some adjustments that may help when towing. My personal experience with first a Hensley and now a ProPride is that the folks at their respective company can help dial in the system over the phone.

Also share in this thread and others will chime in with suggestions.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote