Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I also watch my MPH vs MPG; I usually stay right unless in an unknown area than I use the middle for exiting reasons. That was before the GPS. As for speed, I drive 60-65 WITH SPEED CONTROL, otherwise, the foot get's too heavy.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
They are not permitted in the left lane of a 3 lane highway.

I spoke with a guy who is a CDL trainer at my place of employment. Unless otherwise posted trucks are allowed to pass in the left lane (3rd lane) at least here in Kentucky. Maybe different in other states.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Drive like Hell and you'll git there!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #84
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Lots of good info here.
65'ish for us.

Sometimes on the interstate, when traffic is heavy but still moving at posted speeds, we like to get in behind an 18-wheeler doing similar speed. Not close - we maintain appropriate spacing.

The advantage is that other (smaller) vehicles are less inclined to cut in front of us because of the 18-wheeler.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
I disagree. Most bottle necks are created by someone driving in the middle lane (often somebody towing a trailer) of a three lane highway at the speed limit forcing trucks, that are prohibited from the left lane, to pass on the right. These middle lane hogs are usually afraid of merging traffic from on ramps and claim that they are entitled to travel the speed limit in whatever lane they choose.

Attachment 356660

I prefer to travel at about 100 km/h in the right lane and adjust as necessary to allow vehicles to merge from on ramps.
I agree 100%. If you're not passing someone, stay in the rightmost lane. Unless absolutely necessary, I DO NOT SLOW for merging traffic. It is their responsibility to accelerate and merge with the present speed of traffic, not mine, and not yours. THIS is what causes traffic jams and also puts truckers into the middle lanes (which further slows traffic).
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I agree 100%. If you're not passing someone, stay in the rightmost lane. Unless absolutely necessary, I DO NOT SLOW for merging traffic. It is their responsibility to accelerate and merge with the present speed of traffic, not mine, and not yours. THIS is what causes traffic jams and also puts truckers into the middle lanes (which further slows traffic).
Usually it’s possible to speed up past slow merging traffic so they merge behind you. I’d rather not slow for merging traffic. With today’s mirrors it’s not necessary to physically turn your head to the left when merging but I still see people doing it. If you have a blind spot alongside your vehicle your mirrors are adjusted wrong. I still occasionally come across someone driving alongside me with their signal going for a half mile when all they need to do is brake or accelerate and they can merge.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are driving on major roads in the urban parts of the country, you likely are driving in heavy traffic. That means all three (or more) lanes are occupied. It also likely means that the rightmost (and sometimes leftmost) lane alternates between a normal lane and "exit only 100 yards ahead". Unless you are very familiar with the area, you need to be able to see the signs well in advance. Maintaining a clear view down the road is a really good idea ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #88
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
65 most of the time. Almost always in the right lane. However, when going through metropolitan areas when there is a lot of traffic, and where there are entrance exit ramps every half mile, and right lane must exit situations in the downtown areas, I’ll move to the middle lane. If a semi is trying to pass on the right, he/she will just have to wait until we clear the congestion and I can move back to the right lane.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #89
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Depends where you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
And here's a quote for AAA: "Always enter the freeway at or near the speed of traffic. Do not stop unless it is absolutely necessary. ... The middle lanes are for through traffic, and the left lane is for passing. If you are not passing someone, you should not be driving in the left lane."

Note it says the middle lane is for through traffic and the left lane is for passing, while the merge lane is for exiting and merging. Good advice.
Agree a million % !!

Most of are likely responding with the perspective of our most traveled area. In my case, there are repeated merge and exit ramps; saying it's a "limited access" interstate is borderline ridiculous. Thus, staying in the right lane of a three lane interstate in my area is not a good idea.

Lane selection - it's situational.
ForteePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
This is from the California DMV Driver Handbook, based on the vehicular code. This website also has very good tips for safe towing.

“Towing Vehicles, Buses, or Large Trucks

When you tow a vehicle or trailer, or drive a bus or 3 or more axle truck, you must drive in the right most lane or in a lane specially marked for slower vehicles. If no lanes are marked and there are 4 lanes or more in your direction, you may only drive in either of the 2 lanes closest to the right edge of the road.”
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Arlington Heightsi , Illinois
80 mph.
TheBlackDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
After an exhaustive, multi-year study to optimize tow speed, with respect to fuel consumption, minimal brake applications, and 18 wheeler final gearing and speed limitations between our apartment in Washington, D.C. and home in St. Petersburg, FL along I-95, I-10, 301 and I-75 my rectal pluck research proves that 67 mph is the answer...but when on the road with the AS, I'm only looking to make between 300 to 500 miles (max) per day anyway, so staying alert and safe is of greater concern than speed and distance.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Double nickel max here. What’s the rush?
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:28 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Be the first one to the scene of the accident?
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Not sure I understand this.

Why wouldn't the transport trucks move into the left lane to pass?
I tried to understand this also. I have an old post asking truckers if they preferred I keep right and make them change lanes to pass, or drive in the middle lane and let the truckers steam by on the right.
I found when driving in the center lane I'd get a toot from some trucks.
The consensus was I'd stay on the right and force the trucks to pass on my left. They seem to be fine with that. BTW, if you drive in the middle lane, trucks will NOT go left three lanes to pass, they'll just blow by on your right.

There's some downsides of driving in the far right lane.
1. It's torn up by.....trucks.
2. Trucks entering and leaving weigh stations bunch up there.
3. Auto drivers who enter from the ramp are often so myopic they will not let you back over for miles. Idiots!
4. In hilly areas, trucks passing up hill will run out of steam and fail to pass. I just kick off the cruise control and slow to give them the road.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Life is short. Brakes are excellent. Common Sense is not taught.

Driving too slow can be a hazard to those who have to pass a trailer doing 55 with a speed limit of 70 to 80 in the western USA.

As long as your Airstream is traveling behind you and not in front or alongside you... you are driving at a safe speed. Once you notice your trailer is passing you... slow down and let it pass.

Skill is more important than speed driving or towing. Ego is not a skill set.

From my experiences, when passing slow drivers, they seem to be doing just fine. That is why there are passing lanes. Just pass them and give them plenty of room to go... slow.

Fast movers... give them plenty of room by your slowing down a bit in the event they cannot judge distance when they move back into your lane. A bit of self preservation is advised at all times. Many over estimate their driving skills and underestimate clearances when passing.

We all have our limits. Just do not exceed them. When your pulse picks up, it should be during a hike in the mountains... not behind the steering wheel doing 85 miles an hour pulling an Airstream with a strong cross wind.

Driving up a mountain pass and driving down a mountain pass are two different concepts. If you are going UP at 45mph, going down the same speed is advised. Not doubling the down speed to make up for poor gas mileage... going up.

Did I miss anything? If a driver towing an Airstream passes you... they may be totally competent and it does not reflect upon your driving. Your criticism raises your pulse rate and you need to focus on your limitation... not someone else.

Oh... eyesight is important. Poor eyesight at 55 is no better at 75. The speedometer may be blurry at 50 and 80 to some.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are driving on major roads in the urban parts of the country, you likely are driving in heavy traffic. That means all three (or more) lanes are occupied. It also likely means that the rightmost (and sometimes leftmost) lane alternates between a normal lane and "exit only 100 yards ahead". Unless you are very familiar with the area, you need to be able to see the signs well in advance. Maintaining a clear view down the road is a really good idea ....

Bob
That is one reason I often keep my iPhone (with CarPlay or Apple Play on the dashtop screen) navigation on even when I know I am staying on a certain major road for a while. The nav will always say "stay in the left two lanes" when appropriate. In my experience gives plenty of warning too. Also like the fact it will update with traffic conditions and offer alternate routes when it would save time, among other nice features.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Assuming dry road and minimal winds, low 60s is my max speed. My 40,000 miles of towing experience prompts me to say that our ProPride hitch gives us the confidence that the risk of fishtailing is minimal. Safe travels.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #99
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
My dually diesel likes 62, as does DW when she's following in her Expy towing the rest of the toys. Has worked in 55 California for three years.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Assuming dry road and minimal winds, low 60s is my max speed. My 40,000 miles of towing experience prompts me to say that our ProPride hitch gives us the confidence that the risk of fishtailing is minimal. Safe travels.

If that's the best speed for you and your rig, then drive it as safely as you can. One person's speed and lane choice isn't for everyone under all situations, and although it's tough for drivers to comprehend 1. no one is always right, and 2. no one is always wrong, and situation does matter. If the speed limit is over 70 I still don't exceed 70, and if the minimum speed is 40 mph I don't drop below that unless traffic is going below that for construction or an accident, etc. I've been pulling a travel trailer since August of 1971 and crossed the USA so many times that I've lost count, but its been 48-49 years of pulling with two different trailers and five different tow vehicles. I don't find anything magic about any specific speed until circumstances are factored in.

I remember about 40 years ago driving South in KY on I-75 when going down hill I saw a tire pass me on the passenger's side; I recognized the tire, it was from the rear passenger side of my crewcab pickup. The Equalizer hitch had held the rear up and I could safely stop and put on my spare. The rim had broken outside the bolt holes, but the tire was still good. The point is that it was unexpected and I was going downhill at 65 and it's probably good that I wasn't going 75. Things happen and the right speed is significantly determined by circumstances, equipment, and one's driving comfort. See you down the road.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote