Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #41
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
we usually max at 60-65.... having one set of wheels a blow out could be scary!! Over 70mph things can go wrong really fast.
On I-10 heading north 2 years ago we locked cruise control at about 65mph and every one including semis passed us.... spent 30- 45min at a time and never had to touch the brakes or gas.
If I dont have the trailer im probably in the top 15% of fast drivers ....with a trailer bottom 15%.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I try to be reasonably close to the prevailing speed of traffic, perhaps a little slower when towing assuming that prevailing traffic isn't crazy fast for tire speed ratings. Also I follow a rule of thumb learned riding motorcycles in traffic; Defensive driving to the Nth degree -
Don't let another vehicle surprise you - Don't surprise other vehicles - Failure to follow these simple guidelines might necessitate harsh control inputs that cause loss of control.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #43
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Lots of interesting comments on this thread. I've chimed in on related thread but what the heck, here's my $0.02...

It's not so much a matter of "How Slow Do You Tow?" but a matter of what speed are you driving relative to other traffic and which lane are you in?

Encountering a slower vehicle, whether it's an RV or something else, is fine if they are in the right lane. After all, that's what the right lane is intended for - slower traffic. Think about that for a moment - the signs on multi-lane roads usually read something like this: "Keep Right Except To Pass." So that means anyone, going at any speed should be in the right lane unless they are passing another vehicle. So if you're diving the speed limit, say 70MPH, you should be in the right lane unless there is slower traffic that you are passing. As quickly as you are in front of said slower traffic you should move to the right.

Also think about what it means to pass another vehicle. I don't know if there is a definition of "passing" but a vehicle driving X MPH in the right lane and you going around them in the left lane at X+1 MPH is not passing. With such a slight speed variation it will take several minutes to "pass" another vehicle and in the process you have clogged up traffic. If passing, go ahead and pass, speed up as needed, within reason to get past the vehicle and move to the right.

It seems the problem stems not from a vehicle traveling relatively slowly in the right lane it comes from other vehicles not passing the slow vehicle in a timely manner and moving out of the way once they've passed said slow traffic. Similarly, and in many ways worse, is anyone driving in any lane other than the right lane, when nobody else is around. I refer to them as left-lane cruisers, middle-lane cruisers, etc. - you get the idea.

Once the blockage is created, now the crazies come out of the woodwork. You know, the drivers who think the game Tetris is something you play with your vehicle. The crazies start zigging and zagging and filling every gap in an effort to move forward through the maze. One false move for any of us at that point and it's carnage on the highway.

As others have mentioned on this thread, I content it's not the slow traffic in the right lane that's to blame. Instead, it's the middle-lane cruisers and Tetris players that are at fault.

To continue my rant... Cruise control is not intended to be a replacement for driving your vehicle with an awareness of the surroundings and the ability to speed up or slow down as needed. Adaptive cruise control helps and maybe someday self-driving vehicles will be part of this equation. If everyone stayed right except to pass I believe the multi-lane, limited access highways would work much better and the OP would be less aggravated.

We should all take a look in the proverbial mirror to see if we are one of those drivers who violates the "Keep Right Except To Pass" rule.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Usually the speed limit with a few exceptions. There are some roads that have 75 and 80 mph speed limits where I am not comfortable at those speeds continuously, so will be up to 5 mph below that usually. When towing in Colorado, there were some grade and altitude combinations where I slowed to 55 mph in 65 mph zones but that was rare. Obviously weather conditions come into play too. Regarding the center lane thing, there are many roads where busy onramps preclude staying in far right lane. Agree you should be passing though if in middle lane. My main "RV complaint" would be guys with capable rigs that insist on going 45 mph climbing steep grades, I don't get that, why did you get the big diesel if you are not going to use it? I am also surprised that some very expensive Class A motorhomes seem to be underpowered when climbing by the speed many of them go upgrade.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Lots of interesting comments on this thread. I've chimed in on related thread but what the heck, here's my $0.02...

It's not so much a matter of "How Slow Do You Tow?" but a matter of what speed are you driving relative to other traffic and which lane are you in?

Encountering a slower vehicle, whether it's an RV or something else, is fine if they are in the right lane. After all, that's what the right lane is intended for - slower traffic. Think about that for a moment - the signs on multi-lane roads usually read something like this: "Keep Right Except To Pass." So that means anyone, going at any speed should be in the right lane unless they are passing another vehicle. So if you're diving the speed limit, say 70MPH, you should be in the right lane unless there is slower traffic that you are passing. As quickly as you are in front of said slower traffic you should move to the right.

Also think about what it means to pass another vehicle. I don't know if there is a definition of "passing" but a vehicle driving X MPH in the right lane and you going around them in the left lane at X+1 MPH is not passing. With such a slight speed variation it will take several minutes to "pass" another vehicle and in the process you have clogged up traffic. If passing, go ahead and pass, speed up as needed, within reason to get past the vehicle and move to the right.

It seems the problem stems not from a vehicle traveling relatively slowly in the right lane it comes from other vehicles not passing the slow vehicle in a timely manner and moving out of the way once they've passed said slow traffic. Similarly, and in many ways worse, is anyone driving in any lane other than the right lane, when nobody else is around. I refer to them as left-lane cruisers, middle-lane cruisers, etc. - you get the idea.

Once the blockage is created, now the crazies come out of the woodwork. You know, the drivers who think the game Tetris is something you play with your vehicle. The crazies start zigging and zagging and filling every gap in an effort to move forward through the maze. One false move for any of us at that point and it's carnage on the highway.

As others have mentioned on this thread, I content it's not the slow traffic in the right lane that's to blame. Instead, it's the middle-lane cruisers and Tetris players that are at fault.

To continue my rant... Cruise control is not intended to be a replacement for driving your vehicle with an awareness of the surroundings and the ability to speed up or slow down as needed. Adaptive cruise control helps and maybe someday self-driving vehicles will be part of this equation. If everyone stayed right except to pass I believe the multi-lane, limited access highways would work much better and the OP would be less aggravated.

We should all take a look in the proverbial mirror to see if we are one of those drivers who violates the "Keep Right Except To Pass" rule.
Keep right doesn’t work when traffic is heavy. It leads to endless lane changes back and forth, back and forth. And those who force others out of the left lane often sit in it themselves. When traffic is very heavy you will have vehicles in all three lanes and you can sit there and lose your mind or just chill. You’re not always gonna be able to pass. Sometimes everyone has to wait in line.

I noticed in Europe people sometimes cruise in the left lane. The difference is they immediately move over for faster traffic. Here people seem to speed up when being passed, or “pass back” after being passed, and do all kinds of asinine stuff. I saw a truck pulling a trailer make a left hand merge in CT when we were there, and an angry driver pulled in front of them and came to a full stop because he was angry someone was in the left lane and didn’t move over quickly enough. Good thing it wasn’t me behind him. It would have been worth the ticket to rear end him and let the cops review the video.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
https://www.google.com/search?client...GGsAX61KCQCg30
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
My target is usually 65. Part for safety - thats where Im comfortable. Part for my TV - slower, like 60 it bogs down on even small inclines and I need to shift to 3rd for better torque. Occasionally on a wide open road with little traffic Im ok at 70.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #48
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Not In A Hurry Any More

We drive 60 mph: mainly for safety and to preserve the longevity of our Tundra tow vehicle (300K miles and counting). 60 mph also decreases our risk of tire blowouts which most often occur when driving at excessive speeds. If we're going too slow up a steep grade, we just turn on our flashers like the truckers do and get up the hill at a comfortable speed. We spend very little time on the Interstates.

So far, this has been a great strategy for us and we've had good luck with the Tundra and our Goodyear Marathon tires. The only downside to our 60 mph strategy is that our driving style can be annoying to hotheads. No worries, those same people probably get ticked off about alot of things, like the guy who took exception to me riding my bike on a country road this afternoon. No worries. Life's too short to try and please everybody else. You've earned that Airstream and you've earned the right to pull it at whatever speed works best for you and your travel objectives.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #49
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Not sure I understand this.

Why wouldn't the transport trucks move into the left lane to pass?
Most places that have controlled access, three lane highways prohibit trucks from driving in the left most lane. They can’t legally pass on the left and need to try and overtake and pass ‘middle lane hogs’ on the right.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Tow Speed

On interstates 65 maybe 70 to pass

I’m more relaxed at that speed. An Airstream and TV are not graceful playing
Fast and Furious. And I’m cheap speed = Tire wear and wasted fuel.

Now 50 in a 70 is asking for trouble , we pace with the 65 mph tractor trailers
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
68 MPH for us

If conditions are good, I drive the speed limit up to 70 mph. When speed limits are 70 mph or greater I drive 68 mph. During the past week my son and I traveled from Cypress TX to Davis Mountains State Park TX and back. Much of the drive has a posted speed limit of 80 mph and we had no issues cruising at 68 mph. It seems many of the semi's are governed at 65 mph so we basically fell right in with them.

Round trip was 1100 miles and the only issue I had was 5 miles from home on the return leg where someone decided to pass me on the right in the emergency lane, pull in front of me and slam on the brakes. He speed up, did it again and speed away weaving in and out heavy traffic on TX Hwy 290. It would have been nice to have a camera to capture the license plate number, but no such luck. Cruise was set at 68 mph in a 65 mph zone, so I am not really sure what their problem was.
olgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Not towing ... 61-75.
Towing (in the RIGHT lane) ...from 51 to 65 depending on the traffic and road conditions ...
Old school of not having a stated speed - reasonable and prudent is how our state law used to read before speed limits were imposed.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
Driving further down I-95 towards Miami all normal traffic behavior suddenly ends. Traffic engineers, toss out your text books. You have Latinos relaxing in the left lane (that's their preferred no-hassle lane), you have rednecks relaxing in the slow lane, you have old timers who can't see over the wheel and you have nasty northerners weaving around them all. Put them all together on a six lane highway and it's hard to decide how fast to go or which lane to do it in.
Wow! You forgot the orientals. Stereotyping? Racists? You do know it’s 2019 don’t ya?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Most trailer tires are rated for 60 MPH. Accordingly, I go between 55 and 65. My TV manual warns me against using cruise control while towing, so I don't. I'm always in the slow lane. I find lowering my speed (I drive faster when not towing) also lowers my blood pressure and "towing stress."
Hi

A lot of modern trailers come with tires that are rated over 100 MPH..... You might consider upgrading.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
My top speed is 65 which is comfortable for me. Fuel mileage is good at that speed or slower. I only drive in the right lane except to pass which isn't very often.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Exclamation Towing fast?

Nope, towing fast is not our style. We need extra time to react to the speeding drivers who cut you off and change lanes without signaling. When we got our Airstream we made a pact to drive no faster, EVER, than 65.

By the way... in Florida all 2 lane secondary roads and interstates have a 45 minimum limit. We should know this because years ago we were stopped by a local cop in Melbourne, FL for going too slow on a 6 lane divided highway (looking for a restaurant before GPS) and again in Fort Myers, also looking for a business. Both times we were given verbal warnings.

So, call us slow, call us obstructers, but also call us safe. Neither one of us has had a ticket or at-fault accident in over 45 years. When you travel slower you enjoy the trip more, especially when you arrive safely.
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Bellefontaine , Ohio
We tow at 60mph and stay right. Most people can see we are moving slow and move over to the next lane to pass us fairly quickly without drama. When I have gone faster to keep up with the flow, other drivers will go faster than their norm just because no one likes being behind a trailer even if it is at their speed. If I am going faster with the mindset to keep up with the flow, it seems to cause more road drama as it will take vehicles a little longer to pass and prior to passing they tend to tailgate. When I'm at 60mph I rarely have someone tailgating and rarely does a driver cut me off.
splat matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
+1 although it also works 62-64 on 70mhp interstates.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Too many variables for a standard answer from this ole boy.

South of Richmond on 95, say down through SC, I'll run as high as 72 towing the 30 foot airstream with the F250. Highly unlikely I'll run slower than 65 on that stretch unless in heavy traffic.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 AM   #60
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
I’m comfortable at 60 - 65 mph pulling my 28’ Classic. Besides that’s the sweet spot as far as fuel economy with my Duramax / Allison. I can and have pulled it as high as 75 on a needed fast trip one time. Thank goodness for the new speed rated Goodyear Endurance (85 instead of 65). Just don’t feel comfortable above the sweet spot speed.
I always try to leave a lane to my left open for vehicles to pass me.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote