Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,441
Harbor Freight has a "non-contact infrared thermometer" on sale right now for $29.99 (it's discounted a couple of times a year). This "gun" is useful for quickly checking heat buildup in tires during stops and will also reveal when wheel bearings, brakes, etc. are overheated. If you monitor temperatures regularly, it's easy to tell when one or more are running hotter than the others and a failure is your near future.

It's also useful for checking to see if you generator is cool enough to store (instead of burning your finger sticking it in the exhaust pipe), whether the campfire is all the way out, if the nearby stream really is freezing, the temperature of your significant other's coffee and for making a general nuisance of yourself around the campsite and at home.
__________________

__________________
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
I checked my tires before this trip I'm on. Three tires where 2 psi down after sitting all winter. I have never check pressure on a trip before but with my monitoring system. It does all the monitoring for me. So I don't worry about it at all. And can just push a button and see what the psi is on any tire.

I
__________________

__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
SilverRanger's Avatar
 
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,475
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Harbor Freight has a "non-contact infrared thermometer" on sale right now for $29.99 (it's discounted a couple of times a year). This "gun" is useful for quickly checking heat buildup in tires during stops and will also reveal when wheel bearings, brakes, etc. are overheated. If you monitor temperatures regularly, it's easy to tell when one or more are running hotter than the others and a failure is your near future.

It's also useful for checking to see if you generator is cool enough to store (instead of burning your finger sticking it in the exhaust pipe), whether the campfire is all the way out, if the nearby stream really is freezing, the temperature of your significant other's coffee and for making a general nuisance of yourself around the campsite and at home.

I have used mine for all the above, and my nuisance factor is kicked up a notch by the built in laser pointer.
__________________
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
When our Airstream is stored I check tire pressure every 3-4 weeks with a pressure gauge.

On the road I check every morning with gauge when cold before travel. My wife checks periodically with Pressure Pro system during the day while traveling. At stops I check visually and periodically use infrared thermometer to check temperature of tires and hubs.

GYM's on the trailer when I purchased it would lose 2 pounds per day on the road. Since switching to 16" rims and Michelin LTX MS tires several months ago I have not added air.
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
When our Airstream is stored I check tire pressure every 3-4 weeks with a pressure gauge.

On the road I check every morning with gauge when cold before travel. My wife checks periodically with Pressure Pro system during the day while traveling. At stops I check visually and periodically use infrared thermometer to check temperature of tires and hubs.

GYM's on the trailer when I purchased it would lose 2 pounds per day on the road. Since switching to 16" rims and Michelin LTX MS tires several months ago I have not added air.
Wow that is pretty vigilant. Some would say paranoid, but I just say vigilant
__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

Wow that is pretty vigilant. Some would say paranoid, but I just say vigilant
Perhaps over cautious, but hopefully safe!
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
 
Zigidachs's Avatar
 
2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 297
Images: 1
A word of caution: I used to check my psi's every morning with a gauge, then one day I had three (3) valve stems fail on the same morning. I replaced the stems and had no further problem, but I felt that the valve stem failures were because I checked pressures sol often. Then I bought the TMS. ....ahhhh ...piece of mind. Zigi
__________________
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,602
Images: 1
10% low is to be taken seriously. A 44-lb tire is low at just 39.5 lbs. Visual inspection won't catch this.

I check them whenever the trailer is about to be moved. Takes what, three-minutes? . . that's the attitude that works. A TPMS is just insurance to run down the road afterwards.

As above, also, the highest quality tires are the least problematic when spec'd with the proper 12-15% load reserve (TT loaded and WD applied; numbers via individual postion scale weights to see front/rear and port/starboard load imbalances).

Tires at the limit (no reserve) and just 10% underinflated are probably the key to many/most, well, a whole ton of trailer tire failures. Drag it over a curb unknowingly, hit a pothole with the brakes on, etc.

That first walkaround and pressure check covers what needs to be known before departure. Then the IR gun and checks at stops are easy . . the TPMS has kept things covered in the meantime.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #37
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
I just ran across this web page, and found it informative.

Comparison Tests on Tire Pressure Gauges

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
I have three vehicles with OE TMS and none of them are real accurate. I made this tire gauge about 25 years ago when I was into hard core four wheeling. About $40 worth of parts and pieces. Easy to read analog dial and you don't have to squint to read the pressure. Also allows you to add or bleed air without constantly removing the chuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03589.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	164283  
__________________

__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.