Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
I have a PressurePro. Didn't work well, ever. Now it doesn't work at all. Is there a better brand?
I'm using ( tire minder ). Week and a half and 1500 miles and it works great. Will monitor up to 24 tires, so you can do multiple trailers. Monitors just screw on the valve stems so there is no need to go to a tire shop. They even come with a lock so people can't steal them. Got mine online from camping world on sale.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the other side of the field.

Hi, I check and set the pressure on all of my tires [trailer and tow vehicle] just before each trip. I also check lug nut torque on all eight wheels before each trip. Whether I'm gone for the week end or gone to Alaska and back, [50 days and over 10,000 miles] I only do a visual check of my tires and hitch at every rest stop, every gas stop, and every camp ground stay. I believe that too much tinkering with the valve stem causes more problems than necessary. If I get a flat, I get a flat. I run Goodyear Marathons and never had a flat or blow out, although I did replace two of them for sidewall bubbles at about three years and replaced the other two for signs of separation at about seven years. I don't need or want something else to monitor or watch while I driving. No TPMS!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Every morning cold, every so often when running via Pressure Pros which I've had for six years and love. Torque the wheels before each trip. Do visual inspections at each fuel stop. I also use Centramatic automatic wheel balancers that balance the wheels while running.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I also check tire pressure just before each trip. Then, at every stop, I make the rounds and place my hand flat against the tires' sidewalls. Tires that are flexing badly and risking a blowout get HOT. So far, every time I've checked this summer, the tires have been cooler to the touch than the pavement they're running on.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We check the pressure with a TMS every morning, and during the day while on a trip. We keep a close eye on the temp of the tires.

We run Michelins and rotate the tires every 5K miles to check for uneven wear, balance, etc. We store the unit with max press. in the tires then adjust before a trip.

Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I purchased the TPMS when it first came on the market and have used it ever since. I set the alarms for both pressure and temperature and drive merrily along.

My only complaint has been the battery life of of the sensors. I have usually had to replace tow or three a year, but now they have sensors that let you actually change the battery yourself. They are only available for the newer models however.

I also found out that they will now rebuild the old sensors for less than half the cost of new ones. I had a bunch of old ones with the depleted batteries which I sent in and they sent me rebuilt ones to replace them.

I purchased the booster antennae and mounted it in the rear of the coach, and now I also have sensors on the tow dolly.

I pretty much rely on TPMS and check all my pressures in the morning prior to hitting the road from the drivers seat.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I'm using ( tire minder ). Week and a half and 1500 miles and it works great. Will monitor up to 24 tires, so you can do multiple trailers. Monitors just screw on the valve stems so there is no need to go to a tire shop. They even come with a lock so people can't steal them. Got mine online from camping world on sale.
I am wondering what the connection is between tire minder and HawksHead.
They seem to be physically and functionally identical, but the LCD display face looks slight different.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
While en-route quick checks of tire temperatures will generally keep you safe. Feel the sidewall of each tire with the palm of your hand and any tires that feel warmer than the rest should be investigated. Hot tire temperatures will also alert you to an approaching problem when the air temp is hot, the trailer is heavily laden and you're driving too fast, since it's heat that makes tires fail without road damage. Stopping occasionally to feel the tires doesn't take much time or impact your overall drive time a lot. I always stop 10 minutes after starting out to feel the tires and then once an hour after I'm satisfied that they're all doing OK.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Harbor Freight has a "non-contact infrared thermometer" on sale right now for $29.99 (it's discounted a couple of times a year). This "gun" is useful for quickly checking heat buildup in tires during stops and will also reveal when wheel bearings, brakes, etc. are overheated. If you monitor temperatures regularly, it's easy to tell when one or more are running hotter than the others and a failure is your near future.

It's also useful for checking to see if you generator is cool enough to store (instead of burning your finger sticking it in the exhaust pipe), whether the campfire is all the way out, if the nearby stream really is freezing, the temperature of your significant other's coffee and for making a general nuisance of yourself around the campsite and at home.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I checked my tires before this trip I'm on. Three tires where 2 psi down after sitting all winter. I have never check pressure on a trip before but with my monitoring system. It does all the monitoring for me. So I don't worry about it at all. And can just push a button and see what the psi is on any tire.

I

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Harbor Freight has a "non-contact infrared thermometer" on sale right now for $29.99 (it's discounted a couple of times a year). This "gun" is useful for quickly checking heat buildup in tires during stops and will also reveal when wheel bearings, brakes, etc. are overheated. If you monitor temperatures regularly, it's easy to tell when one or more are running hotter than the others and a failure is your near future.

It's also useful for checking to see if you generator is cool enough to store (instead of burning your finger sticking it in the exhaust pipe), whether the campfire is all the way out, if the nearby stream really is freezing, the temperature of your significant other's coffee and for making a general nuisance of yourself around the campsite and at home.

I have used mine for all the above, and my nuisance factor is kicked up a notch by the built in laser pointer.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
When our Airstream is stored I check tire pressure every 3-4 weeks with a pressure gauge.

On the road I check every morning with gauge when cold before travel. My wife checks periodically with Pressure Pro system during the day while traveling. At stops I check visually and periodically use infrared thermometer to check temperature of tires and hubs.

GYM's on the trailer when I purchased it would lose 2 pounds per day on the road. Since switching to 16" rims and Michelin LTX MS tires several months ago I have not added air.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
When our Airstream is stored I check tire pressure every 3-4 weeks with a pressure gauge.

On the road I check every morning with gauge when cold before travel. My wife checks periodically with Pressure Pro system during the day while traveling. At stops I check visually and periodically use infrared thermometer to check temperature of tires and hubs.

GYM's on the trailer when I purchased it would lose 2 pounds per day on the road. Since switching to 16" rims and Michelin LTX MS tires several months ago I have not added air.
Wow that is pretty vigilant. Some would say paranoid, but I just say vigilant

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman

Wow that is pretty vigilant. Some would say paranoid, but I just say vigilant
Perhaps over cautious, but hopefully safe!
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
A word of caution: I used to check my psi's every morning with a gauge, then one day I had three (3) valve stems fail on the same morning. I replaced the stems and had no further problem, but I felt that the valve stem failures were because I checked pressures sol often. Then I bought the TMS. ....ahhhh ...piece of mind. Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
10% low is to be taken seriously. A 44-lb tire is low at just 39.5 lbs. Visual inspection won't catch this.

I check them whenever the trailer is about to be moved. Takes what, three-minutes? . . that's the attitude that works. A TPMS is just insurance to run down the road afterwards.

As above, also, the highest quality tires are the least problematic when spec'd with the proper 12-15% load reserve (TT loaded and WD applied; numbers via individual postion scale weights to see front/rear and port/starboard load imbalances).

Tires at the limit (no reserve) and just 10% underinflated are probably the key to many/most, well, a whole ton of trailer tire failures. Drag it over a curb unknowingly, hit a pothole with the brakes on, etc.

That first walkaround and pressure check covers what needs to be known before departure. Then the IR gun and checks at stops are easy . . the TPMS has kept things covered in the meantime.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I just ran across this web page, and found it informative.

Comparison Tests on Tire Pressure Gauges

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have three vehicles with OE TMS and none of them are real accurate. I made this tire gauge about 25 years ago when I was into hard core four wheeling. About $40 worth of parts and pieces. Easy to read analog dial and you don't have to squint to read the pressure. Also allows you to add or bleed air without constantly removing the chuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03589.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	164283  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote