Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have a PressurePro. Didn't work well, ever. Now it doesn't work at all. Is there a better brand?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
It may not be necessary to actually check the pressure that often. Before you start a trip and every several days after that would be typical. However you should do a visual inspection of the tires every time you stop. If any tire looks low, then check it.

A tire pressure monitoring system is the only sensible answer. It will let you know if a problem is developing while you are driving and before it becomes damaging. That way you are monitoring your tire pressure continuously. I have a HawksHead TPMS.
TPMS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS FOR CARS, RACING CARS AND MOTORCYCLES
I am very satisfied with it.

There is a current thread where a member drove for miles without knowing one of his tires had blown out. By the time he discovered it, it had done considerable damage, A TPMS will alert you immediately of a failure as well as advise you of a slow leak that could cause a blowout. Most also measure tire temperature.

The fact that you are asking this question leads me to believe that a TPMS would help bring you peace of mind as you are driving, It sure does for me.

Ken

Old 07-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I checked daily when I had GYMs (and had to add air a least once a week), now that I have Michelins, I check weekly (and rarely add air). Of course I visually check when hooking up to travel.
That sounds like a rim sealing problem. I'm on my third set of GYMs and I seldom have to adjust them while in storage over the winter - and never during the travel months of summer. Generally, they won't lose 5 psi over the winter. I do run Michelins on the dually TV - however, comparison with the GYMs yields no unusual differences.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Cracker: Could have been, as I now have new rims too. But because I had some tread separation ( which I caught in time) I was always nervous about it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Usually before leaving on a trip, Occasionally on a trip however I do check tire and hub temps with a point and shoot thermometer and try to do a walk around at every stop. I do not have a tire monitoring system
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Beaumont , Texas
Every day we move to another camp site. It takes, what, 3 minutes.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
I have a PressurePro. Didn't work well, ever. Now it doesn't work at all. Is there a better brand?
I'm using ( tire minder ). Week and a half and 1500 miles and it works great. Will monitor up to 24 tires, so you can do multiple trailers. Monitors just screw on the valve stems so there is no need to go to a tire shop. They even come with a lock so people can't steal them. Got mine online from camping world on sale.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
On the other side of the field.

Hi, I check and set the pressure on all of my tires [trailer and tow vehicle] just before each trip. I also check lug nut torque on all eight wheels before each trip. Whether I'm gone for the week end or gone to Alaska and back, [50 days and over 10,000 miles] I only do a visual check of my tires and hitch at every rest stop, every gas stop, and every camp ground stay. I believe that too much tinkering with the valve stem causes more problems than necessary. If I get a flat, I get a flat. I run Goodyear Marathons and never had a flat or blow out, although I did replace two of them for sidewall bubbles at about three years and replaced the other two for signs of separation at about seven years. I don't need or want something else to monitor or watch while I driving. No TPMS!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Every morning cold, every so often when running via Pressure Pros which I've had for six years and love. Torque the wheels before each trip. Do visual inspections at each fuel stop. I also use Centramatic automatic wheel balancers that balance the wheels while running.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I also check tire pressure just before each trip. Then, at every stop, I make the rounds and place my hand flat against the tires' sidewalls. Tires that are flexing badly and risking a blowout get HOT. So far, every time I've checked this summer, the tires have been cooler to the touch than the pavement they're running on.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
We check the pressure with a TMS every morning, and during the day while on a trip. We keep a close eye on the temp of the tires.

We run Michelins and rotate the tires every 5K miles to check for uneven wear, balance, etc. We store the unit with max press. in the tires then adjust before a trip.

Zigi
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I purchased the TPMS when it first came on the market and have used it ever since. I set the alarms for both pressure and temperature and drive merrily along.

My only complaint has been the battery life of of the sensors. I have usually had to replace tow or three a year, but now they have sensors that let you actually change the battery yourself. They are only available for the newer models however.

I also found out that they will now rebuild the old sensors for less than half the cost of new ones. I had a bunch of old ones with the depleted batteries which I sent in and they sent me rebuilt ones to replace them.

I purchased the booster antennae and mounted it in the rear of the coach, and now I also have sensors on the tow dolly.

I pretty much rely on TPMS and check all my pressures in the morning prior to hitting the road from the drivers seat.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I'm using ( tire minder ). Week and a half and 1500 miles and it works great. Will monitor up to 24 tires, so you can do multiple trailers. Monitors just screw on the valve stems so there is no need to go to a tire shop. They even come with a lock so people can't steal them. Got mine online from camping world on sale.
I am wondering what the connection is between tire minder and HawksHead.
They seem to be physically and functionally identical, but the LCD display face looks slight different.

Ken
Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
While en-route quick checks of tire temperatures will generally keep you safe. Feel the sidewall of each tire with the palm of your hand and any tires that feel warmer than the rest should be investigated. Hot tire temperatures will also alert you to an approaching problem when the air temp is hot, the trailer is heavily laden and you're driving too fast, since it's heat that makes tires fail without road damage. Stopping occasionally to feel the tires doesn't take much time or impact your overall drive time a lot. I always stop 10 minutes after starting out to feel the tires and then once an hour after I'm satisfied that they're all doing OK.

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote