Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
How does a 34 Ft tow?

Now I have a 27 Ft overlander 1973.
I find it to small for our family of 3 and a large dog.
I do like the dinette on the 34 that can be converted in a childs bed.
But how is towing with a 34.
I towed a 31 for a frend om mine overgere in the netherlands and there was little to no diverence between the 31 and the 27.
its a bit longer but that was no problem.
What I'm concerned about is the sharp turning with the 3 axles.
To park next to the house I need to backup and make a SHARP turn.
Thanks
Remco
The Netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It is like towing the 31, but you have to make larger turns, and sharp corners are not good. One axle's tires, usually the front, will tend to wear out faster from the turning. You may also need a bigger tow vehicle, as many of them weigh upwards of 10,000 pounds.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
we have a 34' Limited and tow it with a 2003 Chev Silverado, 6 liter gas engine. It tows fine except on long steep hills. Other than that it does need wider turns and with the Hensley Hitch it can be a bit tricky backing up. It is almost too big for me, Dale and our dog, Miss Tina Turner, but i after camping in it most of the summer i would not go to a smaller A/S. After a couple of trips and some city driving, (tight corners) you will never regret going to a longer A/S.
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Its tows great. With the right tow vehicle you will hardly ever know its back there. Even with the right tow vehicle though, you will always know it when you are on a steep grade. Unless you toe with a Peterbuilt. I won't go back to a smaller trailer. I love my 34.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
I have move to a 34' this year from a 30'. My family of 5 really love the extra room. The open space was especialy nice during a afternoon shower for playing on the floor. The extra weight might be an issue if you TV is marginal. On turning, your pivit point is different. Just practice. Check with some of the older camp grounds that you will visit, some that I go to only have a limited number of long sites.
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
The 34' tows beautifully. Yes, you know it is behind you when in the mountains at 10,000 ft even with the right TV. Backing with the Hensley is not a problem. It's easier to back than my short snowmobile trailer.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
It tows like a dream... a heavy dream, but a dream nonetheless. It follows my truck like a 10,000 lb Porsche through the hills and curves. Long steep hills make the turbocharged 7.3L diesel do what it's designed to do.

Left turns from two lane road to two lane road are usually no problem, especially if you can stay to the outside (but watch that tail swing in the opposite direction!) Left turns from a left turn lane can be a little tight and risk swinging the tail into adjacent cars to the right, so I straddle the left turn lane and the next lane before making the turn.

I've pulled my 26' sailboat through the RV islands at Flying J truck stops, and I'm not sure I could make the turn across the front of the store with the 34' and not scrape the big posts they have to protect the pumps. But I've never had to find out since with a diesel truck with the big filler nozzle, I can go through the 18-wheeler islands.

Right turns on two lane roads require turning from in the oncoming lane into most of the oncoming lane, especially if there's a curb on the corner. Where that isn't possible (going through small downtowns, etc), it's better to keep going straight and do 3 left turns to get where you want to go, or go down the road and find a place to turn around.

I have no problem backing it into our 42' or so long, roughly 20' driveway from a 20' wide street, and frankly think the Hensley makes backing easier. Problem is, once it's in our driveway, my 21' long truck is totally blocking the street, so the neighbors have to wait while I unhitch (or when hitching up). THAT'S a sharp turn. The rear tires drag sideways in one direction and the front drag in the other. The trick is not to stop and crank the wheel over hard and then move, but to continuously move as you're turning, so the tires can sort of "screw" themselves sideways across the pavement, rather than a pure sideways drag.

It's only big when you're towing it, and you get used to it. Once you're inside and get used to it, you know you wouldn't want anything less.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Thanks for the reply's
My tow car is a 1957 imperial That's about 5800 LBS .
I'm now rebuilding A 392 hemi for it With a 6-71 supercharger and liqued propane injection as fuel.
Engine gets all the good stuff custom pistons , 4 bold mains , dry sump oil system etc etc.
A low estimate will be in the 650 hp+
Also I'f got A 4L80e transmision for it with full manual shift conversion kit.
The old original transmision was even to weak for the 27 FT .
I.m considering a mid to end 80's 34 as they seems to be the lightest build.
Now with the 27 I can get to most campgrounds , there a several grounds that don't alow dual axle trailors on there ground ,becouse they tear up the grass when thight turning.

Thanks again.
Remco
The netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi remcolent--I have the same 27' A/S you have and tow it with a 2001 1/2 ton Suburban with a 5.3ltr engine, and 4.10 rear. Any A/S larger really requires a 3/4 ton truck with a larger engine. I realize the Netherlands is rather flat, and being a small country, speed may be restricted, which might allow for a smaller lighter TV than we would use here in the States, however a 34'er is a lot of A/S to move around and stop. You might have enough engine with the mods you are considering, but you still have limitations on your TV springs, wheels, tires, and other suspension parts. The 4L80e is a GM transmission, which might be difficult to mount in a vintage Chrysler. You would probably be better off with a strong 3speed auto trans, as the 4th speed in the 4L80 is overdrive (.7 to 1 ratio) which you will never use towing, as your engine rpm will be lower than you will like. My personal choice is the 27'er you have, as it is large enough to be comfortable, and small and light enough to tow easily. The 34'er is 3axles, and has a lot of over hang which may be difficult to maneuver in traffic. Looks like you have an interesting project with your engine rebuild. Good to see people all over the world A/S'ing.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
The 34' tows great. And I have never had a problem backing it up - even in tight spaces. The tires probably do take a bit of a beating with tight turns, which is why you get decent trailer tires installed.

As to the engine/transmission discussion - I can add no value. However, I would look carefully at the tow vehicle. We tow with a Ford Excursion (basically F250), and I added some rear suspension airbags (for lack of better term) in the TV to better support a 1,200 pound tongue weight. Keep in mind we have a Hensley hitch and a slide-out. With the Excursion and this extra suspension, we tow beautifully!

Similar to what someone else mentioned, I tow and back up our 34' AS easier than my 14' utility trailer!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote