Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
How many of you have had bars or hitch-ball base stolen? Is this a real problem? I just put a piece of non-slip rubber on top of the battery box and put the bars there. If I need to remove the stinger, I use an EAZYlift and stick it under the trailer. This is when I am traveling, which I believe is what the OP asked about.
I put my BlueOx in the bed of the truck and bars in the AS side locker. I am not comfortable leaving a thousand dollars worth of gear on the ground. It's all about crimes of opportunity and sleeping well at night.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
2018 Flying Cloud, which product do use to place under hitch foot,I don't like using wood and placing in one of the compartments,,to dirty even when you wash it..Camco has plastic pads would that be the way to go.. thanks
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm thinking of two PVC 2" tubes with caps on one end. A bar in each tube and stored in the truck bed.
The hitch in a Rubbermaid tote under the trailer tongue.
I'll run a cable through the bar socket if necessary. I don't like lifting or carrying the hitch too far.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Due to the interior layout of our Avion, we don't have a storage compartment at the rear of the trailer. So, we bought a 35 gal. Rubbermaid Actionpacker to store the hitch parts and a couple of water hoses. We keep that inside the trailer in the front living room. Once loaded, it doubles as kind of a coffee table. We have been very pleased with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...ch-Lid/3274189
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Due to the interior layout of our Avion, we don't have a storage compartment at the rear of the trailer. So, we bought a 35 gal. Rubbermaid Actionpacker to store the hitch parts and a couple of water hoses. We keep that inside the trailer in the front living room. Once loaded, it doubles as kind of a coffee table. We have been very pleased with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...ch-Lid/3274189
Like the ancient Ford vs. Chevy "debate", that one's good for, "why a Silver Streak versus an Avion"

Well, we don't need to keep the rigging in the lounge (ha!)

These trailers came with storage built onto the A-Frame for the bars. With a Hensley it's moot. I can put the stinger in the "trailer trunk" but usually toss it in the back of the pickup if stopped for a few days. Longer, and into the trunk.

A-Frame storage is the way to go.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #46
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Like the ancient Ford vs. Chevy "debate", that one's good for, "why a Silver Streak versus an Avion"

Well, we don't need to keep the rigging in the lounge (ha!)

These trailers came with storage built onto the A-Frame for the bars. With a Hensley it's moot. I can put the stinger in the "trailer trunk" but usually toss it in the back of the pickup if stopped for a few days. Longer, and into the trunk.

A-Frame storage is the way to go.

Ok.... I'll give you that one drawback of our Avion!!

If I could have another aluminum-skinned trailer, it would be a Silver Streak, for sure. I still regret not being able to get a 1981 32-footer a year or so ago.... it was really nice!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Ok.... I'll give you that one drawback of our Avion!!

If I could have another aluminum-skinned trailer, it would be a Silver Streak, for sure. I still regret not being able to get a 1981 32-footer a year or so ago.... it was really nice!
And I'd be happy to have an Avion. Or a Streamline.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
several avions out here on the left coast... most of the time they are listed either on the los angles, sacramento or sfo section of craigs list... Their have been several of the 30's that were the final days of them... and still in stock condition fairly cheep... but, boy are them trailers heavy to tow... yikes... The avion I had was the 30p but I couldn't afford to tow it around... nice trailer... but... And I see their is a 1985 30 ft one on RV trader.. for a mer 6K... looks to be in pretty good shape... all orginal... from the pix I saw... if your interested...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm thinking of two PVC 2" tubes with caps on one end. A bar in each tube and stored in the truck bed.
The hitch in a Rubbermaid tote under the trailer tongue.
I'll run a cable through the bar socket if necessary. I don't like lifting or carrying the hitch too far.
I like this idea, one 2" tube might work for both. I'll add this to my winter list. Might use abs for black.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #50
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)

sway bars go either in the back of the truck or underneath the trailer. If the ground is sandy I place them in the truck.

Have done this for years and never had an issue.

Wolf146
Well i do the same except I have already grease stained all my clothes so I don't worry bout that!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
I like this idea, one 2" tube might work for both. I'll add this to my winter list. Might use abs for black.
The reason I decided on two tubes was to keep the bars from banging into each other.
(I'm trying to keep the paint fresh) Also, I thought the bars would slide in easier and I'd put one on each side of the truck bed so I could go from tube to hitch with no fuss.
It's a work in progress.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #52
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The reason I decided on two tubes was to keep the bars from banging into each other.
(I'm trying to keep the paint fresh) Also, I thought the bars would slide in easier and I'd put one on each side of the truck bed so I could go from tube to hitch with no fuss.
It's a work in progress.
I use pvc tubes for mine. Works great. I taped the two together so they sit as a pair in the back of my truck.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Cool.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Be careful with this
"Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)"

It's illegal in some states, PA, MA, VA that I know of. Not really enforced as a primary offense, but can be. Also in most if not all of Canada.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #55
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Be careful with this
"Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)"

It's illegal in some states, PA, MA, VA that I know of. Not really enforced as a primary offense, but can be. Also in most if not all of Canada.
This is incorrect, as we determined in a previous thread. Illinois tried to pass a law like that but it did not go through. The only other laws we could find were ones bout obstructing license plates.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2007181
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How do you store your hitch ball and sway bars on the road?

ProPride and Hensley systems don't require removing the WD bars for storage. That said, the head does add length to the AS A-frame and the stinger is a shin hazard. I have the scars to prove it.

I pull the stinger and store it in the bed of my TV or on the garage floor. Less painful that way[emoji3]

I'm not aware of any California law about stingers or hitch ball removal when not in use, and based on the number of installed, dusty ones, it's certainly not usual practice. Since my TV is required to be stored indoors by DW, and our garage is shout, and my shins are vulnerable, the stinger gets pulled.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #57
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Anyone make a padded orange bag to go over the large hitch assembly? Prefer to keep it on the vehicle, just store the eq. bars in the pickup bed.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
WD bars rested across the a-frame behind the tanks and hitch stays in the tow vehicle. Sway damper I put in one of the outside storage compartments. When I'm home, I put the hitch and sway damper inside the door.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
With my Equalizer I remove the head from the receiver and lock it on the coupler on the A frame. I balance the bars on the L bracket. I place yellow flag tape or small orange cone to prevent bumping my shins!😡
This is exactly what I have been doing for 10 years. Can use the coupler lock to secure the hitch and it is off the truck and off of the ground. Use a small orange traffic cone as mentioned above to mark the shaft. I think it is the perfect storage method.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Hensley/ ProPride: Chock TT wheels, take weight off hitch, unlock & pull pin, and drive forward. Re-install pin lock. Place a small orange traffic cone in front of stinger. If you also have a "Rock Tamer" (rock guard), place a cone on either end of "Tamer." Has worked for years. The cone(s) are for me!
guskmg
Yep...'cept the cone goes on the 'stinger' so my shins don't get 'stung'...😂😳😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_312.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	316575   Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA%20SHINSAVER%20003.jpg
Views:	208