Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
How do you store your hitch ball and sway bars on the road?

We have lots of grease on our hitch parts and like to keep them clean and away from things they may mess up. Does anyone know of a bag or box that will hold these parts?
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I had a friend weld a piece of receiver tube under the A frame in a spot that wouldn't interfere with anything. When the hitch comes off the truck it slides into the receiver on the A frame and gets locked there. I cover it with some pleather/vinyl to keep the rain off of it and grease off of me. I've got a blue Ox so the bars themselves don't have grease so they just go into the storage bag.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Bars and anti-sway device go in rear storage compartment. It's only used for that kind of stuff. Also use white lithium grease to keep messto minimum. Hitch ball stays on truck unless we are going to town and then it either goes locked in bed of pickup or at campsite

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Blue Ox. I made a rolling cart to store the coupler and bars. Makes for easier movement and clean storage.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I have a long storage box made by Plano (in the USA) that I store my hitch, bars, sway and front hitch accessories in. I can lock the box but don't need to lock it down as it is far too heavy to lift when full. When camping it's stored under the a-frame and when at home it's under the a-frame. In transit my leveling blocks and chocks go in there in the bed of my truck.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I use and EAZLift round bar hitch plus a pair of friction bars. My trailer has a big compartment behind the propane tank. The four bars all go in there. I built a box from plywood & 2x4s that encloses and covers the curved ends of the WD bars. That keeps the grease contained. The problem with this arrangement is that you have to lift the heavy bars in and out of this hard-to-reach compartment. My wife and I normally do it together but each of us can in fact to it by ourselves (and we are not strong people).

When I want my hitch head off the car, I put it in a big Rubbermaid plastic tote that I put next to the trailer. That keeps it clean and incognito. I don't have a good place in the car to put it.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
When I Was using an Equalizer I made a box to hold the hitch head and bars out of 1x4 pine. It was slightly longer than the bars and slightly wider than the hitch head. The hitch head end was two 1x4s high. I put slotted 1x2s across the bottom to hold the bars and 1x4 rails to support the hitch head. I put 2x4s across the bottom and covered them with carpet so it wouldn't scratch the vinyl floor in my trailer. When camped the box went in the back of the truck, when stored it went in the trailer. I moved the empty box to where it needed to be and then put the hitch components in it.

With my Propride, I just pull the stinger out of the truck and connect it to the trailer. When the trailer is in storage, the facility uses the stinger to move the trailer. In camp I just swivel it out of the way.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How do you store your hitch ball and sway bars on the road?

Pull ProPride stinger out of truck, set it down on garage floor near the wall. Rest of the greasy stuff stays on the AS, out of reach of my clothing. Frankly beats the heck out of the Husky setup that requires lots of work to install and uninstall.

I plan to build a support dolly to make the swap out or in easier in the future. I'm not always going to be able to heft the stinger like I can now... maybe something including a cheap bottle jack and appropriate linkages to make it super easy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Hitch stays receiver. Spring bars and sway bar go in truck tool box.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Sway bars and spring bars are stored in the rear bumper compartment. The stinger is removed and stored in the truck bed in an old milk crate.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Blue Ox came with a duffel style bag. Bars and head go into bag. Grease gets wiped off and ziplock bag used for separation. Grease gun goes in same so all available when needed. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
We put zip lock plastic bags on the greasy ends of the spring bars, which we then stow in the forward external storage compartment. The friction anti-sway also lives in this compartment.

We use the provided plastic ball cover on the ball. By being careful, the ball mount is kept grease free. We put the ball mount in the pickup bed or behind the driver's seat depending on how concerned we are with potential theft. We have a long box crew cab pick up, so leaving the ball mount in the pick up receiver isn't a good option--too long.

Storing the ball mount in the cab is not an ideal solution as lifting the ball mount clear of the second seat upholstery is a chore--its awfully darn heavy.

On our 31' Sovereign, we stored the spring bars and anti-sway in the bumper compartment. But this compartment was dusty which made hitching up a dirty chore.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Equal-i-zer hitch head stays in receiver in truck- I have a locking hitch pin and a Hitch tightener or anti-rattle device bolted on and Rock Tamers.
The Equal-i-zer weight bars stay in the L-brackets- I just pull the pun at the hitch head and slide the bars back in the L-brackets until the end of the bar is just under the front of the trailer and let the bars just sit there balanced on the L-brackets.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
I hang mine over the A-frame and set the hitch on the ground.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Equal-i-zer hitch head stays in receiver in truck- I have a locking hitch pin and a Hitch tightener or anti-rattle device bolted on and Rock Tamers.
The Equal-i-zer weight bars stay in the L-brackets- I just pull the pun at the hitch head and slide the bars back in the L-brackets until the end of the bar is just under the front of the trailer and let the bars just sit there balanced on the L-brackets.
We also leave the Equal-I-Zer hitch on the truck and the bars in the L-Brackets. We made a vinyl bag to cover the hitch while it's on the truck so it is out of the weather and doesn't get dusty from side-trip travels ... it also keeps the grease off our pant-legs.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
With my Equalizer I remove the head from the receiver and lock it on the coupler on the A frame. I balance the bars on the L bracket. I place yellow flag tape or small orange cone to prevent bumping my shins!😡
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
BlueOx bars go in the driver's side AS rear storage locker and hitch is taken off and lowered onto a Harbor Freight small square dolly. The dolly with hitch is either pulled into the garage if home or lifted into the truck bed and bungeed to the side. I use molly grease (which is a high pressure grease) for the bar receiver nipples and on the ball.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
With our Equalizer - at camp we remove the bars and store them in the AS rear bumper compartment. The hitch stays on the truck (with safety lock) all travel season. Winter the hitch is stored in AS - 1. heavy tarp on floor - 2. heavy duty cardboard on tarp - 3. hitch on cardboard.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Have a pic of your cart? I was thinking of one made from PVC.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Yep we had a metal storage box made that sits behind the propane tanks... the reese bars go into a canvas bag...one each... and then into the storage box and locked... the ball and all stay on the truck... unless we are staying a while.. then it has its own canvas bag...it goes into... and gets stored in the TV... or with the bars in the storage box... best just wear gloves... and cheap storage is in the back of the TV or in the garage when home...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote