Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,388
I'm thinking of two PVC 2" tubes with caps on one end. A bar in each tube and stored in the truck bed.
The hitch in a Rubbermaid tote under the trailer tongue.
I'll run a cable through the bar socket if necessary. I don't like lifting or carrying the hitch too far.
__________________

__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,857
Due to the interior layout of our Avion, we don't have a storage compartment at the rear of the trailer. So, we bought a 35 gal. Rubbermaid Actionpacker to store the hitch parts and a couple of water hoses. We keep that inside the trailer in the front living room. Once loaded, it doubles as kind of a coffee table. We have been very pleased with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...ch-Lid/3274189
__________________

__________________
"Every day is a good day.... some are just better than others!"
1987 Avion 34W
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #45
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,325
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Due to the interior layout of our Avion, we don't have a storage compartment at the rear of the trailer. So, we bought a 35 gal. Rubbermaid Actionpacker to store the hitch parts and a couple of water hoses. We keep that inside the trailer in the front living room. Once loaded, it doubles as kind of a coffee table. We have been very pleased with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...ch-Lid/3274189
Like the ancient Ford vs. Chevy "debate", that one's good for, "why a Silver Streak versus an Avion"

Well, we don't need to keep the rigging in the lounge (ha!)

These trailers came with storage built onto the A-Frame for the bars. With a Hensley it's moot. I can put the stinger in the "trailer trunk" but usually toss it in the back of the pickup if stopped for a few days. Longer, and into the trunk.

A-Frame storage is the way to go.

.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #46
1987 Avion 34W owner
 
PaulnGina's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Like the ancient Ford vs. Chevy "debate", that one's good for, "why a Silver Streak versus an Avion"

Well, we don't need to keep the rigging in the lounge (ha!)

These trailers came with storage built onto the A-Frame for the bars. With a Hensley it's moot. I can put the stinger in the "trailer trunk" but usually toss it in the back of the pickup if stopped for a few days. Longer, and into the trunk.

A-Frame storage is the way to go.

.
Ok.... I'll give you that one drawback of our Avion!!

If I could have another aluminum-skinned trailer, it would be a Silver Streak, for sure. I still regret not being able to get a 1981 32-footer a year or so ago.... it was really nice!
__________________
"Every day is a good day.... some are just better than others!"
1987 Avion 34W
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #47
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,325
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Ok.... I'll give you that one drawback of our Avion!!

If I could have another aluminum-skinned trailer, it would be a Silver Streak, for sure. I still regret not being able to get a 1981 32-footer a year or so ago.... it was really nice!
And I'd be happy to have an Avion. Or a Streamline.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 100
several avions out here on the left coast... most of the time they are listed either on the los angles, sacramento or sfo section of craigs list... Their have been several of the 30's that were the final days of them... and still in stock condition fairly cheep... but, boy are them trailers heavy to tow... yikes... The avion I had was the 30p but I couldn't afford to tow it around... nice trailer... but... And I see their is a 1985 30 ft one on RV trader.. for a mer 6K... looks to be in pretty good shape... all orginal... from the pix I saw... if your interested...
__________________
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm thinking of two PVC 2" tubes with caps on one end. A bar in each tube and stored in the truck bed.
The hitch in a Rubbermaid tote under the trailer tongue.
I'll run a cable through the bar socket if necessary. I don't like lifting or carrying the hitch too far.
I like this idea, one 2" tube might work for both. I'll add this to my winter list. Might use abs for black.
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #50
Traveler
 
TravlinMan's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf146 View Post
Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)

sway bars go either in the back of the truck or underneath the trailer. If the ground is sandy I place them in the truck.

Have done this for years and never had an issue.

Wolf146
Well i do the same except I have already grease stained all my clothes so I don't worry bout that!
__________________
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #51
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
I like this idea, one 2" tube might work for both. I'll add this to my winter list. Might use abs for black.
The reason I decided on two tubes was to keep the bars from banging into each other.
(I'm trying to keep the paint fresh) Also, I thought the bars would slide in easier and I'd put one on each side of the truck bed so I could go from tube to hitch with no fuss.
It's a work in progress.
__________________
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #52
Full time Airstreamer
 
SCOTTinNJ's Avatar
 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The reason I decided on two tubes was to keep the bars from banging into each other.
(I'm trying to keep the paint fresh) Also, I thought the bars would slide in easier and I'd put one on each side of the truck bed so I could go from tube to hitch with no fuss.
It's a work in progress.
I use pvc tubes for mine. Works great. I taped the two together so they sit as a pair in the back of my truck.
__________________
@living.somewhere.yonder | Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
Cool.
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
Be careful with this
"Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)"

It's illegal in some states, PA, MA, VA that I know of. Not really enforced as a primary offense, but can be. Also in most if not all of Canada.
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #55
Traveler
 
TravlinMan's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Be careful with this
"Hitch stays on the truck and place a cut tennis ball over the hitch ball to keep me from getting grease on me. ( I park the truck in such a way that there is no chance that anybody can walk into it or hit it)"

It's illegal in some states, PA, MA, VA that I know of. Not really enforced as a primary offense, but can be. Also in most if not all of Canada.
This is incorrect, as we determined in a previous thread. Illinois tried to pass a law like that but it did not go through. The only other laws we could find were ones bout obstructing license plates.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2007181
__________________
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #56
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,026
How do you store your hitch ball and sway bars on the road?

ProPride and Hensley systems don't require removing the WD bars for storage. That said, the head does add length to the AS A-frame and the stinger is a shin hazard. I have the scars to prove it.

I pull the stinger and store it in the bed of my TV or on the garage floor. Less painful that way

I'm not aware of any California law about stingers or hitch ball removal when not in use, and based on the number of installed, dusty ones, it's certainly not usual practice. Since my TV is required to be stored indoors by DW, and our garage is shout, and my shins are vulnerable, the stinger gets pulled.
__________________

__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to store Hitch and sway bars? Britbat 1975 Overlander 16 08-02-2014 09:18 PM
Sway bars and sway control phibbs Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 1 09-03-2012 05:48 AM
Greasing the ball and the sway bars. urnmor Hitches, Couplers & Balls 34 06-03-2012 08:26 PM
L-pins are grinding against the sway bars on my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch Simoneau Hitches, Couplers & Balls 9 06-20-2009 08:28 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.