Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
How do you actually buy a Hensley or Propride hitch?

I have to say I'm not really impressed with how these companies present themselves, I'm confused how you buy one of these hitches.

I know they are both top of the line. So I'm just looking for the best way to buy one. I know Hensley is more money, I try to find the dealers on the website but they don't make that very easy.

There seems to be some bad blood between them. Are they aware that this is a turn off to their product?

Should I be looking at an alternative hitch?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The best way to buy either a Hensley or a ProPride is directly from the company and install it yourself. It's not that hard and you will do a better job of it than most of the "professionals". I have now installed my Hensley four times on three different Airstreams.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have ProPride. And, I created a userid then ordered online. Speaking to Sean is easy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As I understand Hensley sells direct or through authorized dealers. ProPride sells only direct, this will save you about $500 between the two.

Either can be owner installed, fairly basic with some hefty wrenches and hefty torque wrench. Hensley requires drilling the frame to mount, ProPride is bolt-on.

There is competition between them and that is always good for you as a consumer.

Two great products, I like the price, quality, and adjustable receiver drop bar of our ProPride.

Google phone numbers or order online.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Another vote for installing yourself. It's not difficult, and it's important to be familiar with it because parts will bend/break.

IMHO, if the gubmint is going to mandate various safety equipment, a pivot-point-projection hitch should also be mandated. Hensley/ProPride hitches are the only option if you're serious about safety
Old 11-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Being basically non-handy, I ordered the ProPride on-line and had them ship directly to our Airstream dealer. The dealer installed the hitch on our new Airstream, we pulled in the tow vehicle and he installed the "stinger", he hitched them together and we were good to go. As far as "test drive" as mentioned in another post, the dealer had us take the unit around the lot, when we felt comfortable with the unit, he let us lose and we've been on the road ever since. As far as "how much time do you spend in your Airstream?" Every nite since that drive off the lot and the ProPride makes it easy.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I have to say I'm not really impressed with how these companies present themselves, I'm confused how you buy one of these hitches.

I know they are both top of the line. So I'm just looking for the best way to buy one. I know Hensley is more money, I try to find the dealers on the website but they don't make that very easy.

There seems to be some bad blood between them. Are they aware that this is a turn off to their product?

Should I be looking at an alternative hitch?

Hi Ted -

Thank you for this post. I am always interested in making things easier and I'd certainly like suggestions from anyone here.

One issue I do struggle with on the web site is a good way to detail how to pick the model. I've had it on there in the past and it only created more confusion.

Most Airstreams use the 3P-800, 3P-1000 or the 3P-1400. The number is the capacity of the weight distribution bars. There really is no hard and fast "rule" on which to use when you get to about 850-900# of loaded tongue weight. That weight of Airstream can use either a 3P-1000 or a 3P-1400. Most of the time I'd recommend the 3P-1400 with a loaded tongue weight of 900#+ because you can alway dial down the weight distribution with the jacks.

What I may do is go to the Airstream web site and use their specs on each model and make a chart that recommends the proper model 3P. Do you all think that would help?

After that I hope it is easy to purchase the correct model on our web site as we publish the pricing and make it available for purchase directly through the secure store.

We do ship to dealers for installation every day. However, like everyone has said here in this thread it is easy to install yourself.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
TommieDee54

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
I've been using a Hensley, pulling a 30' Flying Cloud. My advice is, avoid the stress of trying to figure out what you need and call Hensley and talk to the tech's. They will ask; what are you driving and what type of trailer.
Hensley also sells rebuilt units with a lifetime guarantee!
Then you can ship it to yourself or the dealer.
Yes, it is easy to install, about three hours. The brackets are strapped on to the A frame and then 4 self tapping screws, 2 per side are installed. These are for safety, in case the U bolts break.
Hensley Mfg. 1-800-410-6580
Based on Davision, Mi.
American made!!!!

TommieDee54
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommieDee View Post
The brackets are strapped on to the A frame and then 4 self tapping screws, 2 per side are installed. These are for safety, in case the U bolts break.

TommieDee54

Just to clarify for future readers of this thread. The function of the shear bolts in the Arrow design ARE NOT for safety in case of a u-bolt breaking.

First, in the 10 years I ran that company there was never, ever, even one u-bolt that would break during towing. Maybe during over torque during installation but not after installed.

Second, the shear bolts are there due to the strut force that is placed on the frame bracket. That force is along the frame and the bolts keep the frame bracket from sliding rearward under normal towing conditions. During a panic stop or a tight reverse situation the force WILL become greater than the shear bolts can handle than the head will pop off and the bracket will slide rearward.

To purchase a hitch there really should be no need to have to call anyone. Of course there should be the option but it is almost 2015 and purchasing online is becoming the norm. The option should always be left up to the customer and customers shouldn't be forced to call a salesman in today's world. The days of being "sold" by all kinds of closing and sales techniques are in the past. This is actually one of the aspects I really like about the product. My customers do all their research, make the most informed decision, and get the most value without the need for me to be a pushy salesman. It's the way I buy products so it fits with my way of offering a product. Personally, I don't have the time or need for someone to play the sales game with me and I see right through it the minute they start. Requiring me to call before I purchase is just the beginning of that game if it is not a customized product.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
After I did extensive reading here and elsewhere about the ProPride, and specific improvements in the ProPride design from the original Hensley and the fact that the ProPride is designed by the person who originally designed the Hensley, I did not even consider the Hensley, so I can't give a fair comparison.

However I can say that I am very pleased with the performance of the ProPride hitch. I have owned other smaller travel trailers and used friction based anti-sway hitches. Even with those hitches, there was enough sway to be annoying and at times frightening. I can honestly say that in 5 years of towing our 31 foot trailer with the Propride, I have not had one single episode of swaying. It is very relaxing to drive.

Sean's support is very exceptional in today's marketplace. I had a few instances during the installation when I was unsure about the best way to do something. I called and was helped either immediately or after a very short time, by Sean himself. This included more than one weekend or after hours call.

If you check this very lengthy thread, you will find everything you ever wanted to know about the ProPride from actual users.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't own a ProPride yet, but it is my first choice.
That choice is further reinforced by Sean's posts.
My Equal-i-zer is great, but it still controls sway rather than eliminate it.
Ditto for the EazLift I had before.
The ProPride proacts instead of reacting.
I don't think hitching up can get much easier than with my Equal-i-zer, but maybe ProPride is easier to hookup.
I don't remove my weight bars. I just leave them in the saddles and slide them back out of the hitch head- no lifting, no storing-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
FWIW, I liked my ProPride that I purchased for our 1997 34' that I just purchased a second one from Sean to install on our new to us 1970 Overlander! Purchasing the second one was much easier than the first since all the comparison and contemplation had been completed when deciding on the first one
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
hensley hitch

"I have had 3 brand new Hensleys....
All broke welds, all failed and left me stranded, yes I serviced them very regularly.... The company took care of the problems, but that took lots of time, and the possibility of killing me and or equipment loss was great. Old fashioned hitches have never let me down."

I assume that you paid for one and the others were replaced by the company for free since they have lifetime warranty?
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Even if you're "non-handy" the installation instructions provided by Sean are excellent. Just take your time and do it as shown and you'll be rewarded by a great worry-free tow. And as noted if you have any issues just give him a call, great customer service!
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What heavy duty tools do you need to install either of these hitches? Even with an Equalizer you need to be able to torque over 400lbs on the ball nut and 320lbs on the shank nuts/bolts.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I don't have the directions handy, but all I remember is needing a torque wrench to 250 ft/lbs or so. I definitely don't recall needing to torque to 400
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What heavy duty tools do you need to install either of these hitches? Even with an Equalizer you need to be able to torque over 400lbs on the ball nut and 320lbs on the shank nuts/bolts.

Kelvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
I don't have the directions handy, but all I remember is needing a torque wrench to 250 ft/lbs or so. I definitely don't recall needing to torque to 400
I must be missing a post somewhere, but torque on the Propride is about 250, torque on the 1 1/4" shank trailer ball is 420 (and is that value for the ball mount, no matter what the hitch setup is), and torque on the ball mount to drop bar is 300 pounds for the Reese. So, really, you don't need any heavier duty tools than you would use to install a Reese Dual Cam. In fact, other than torquing the ball itself, torque values are less for either setup than they are for the Reese.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
What I may do is go to the Airstream web site and use their specs on each model and make a chart that recommends the proper model 3P. Do you all think that would help?
Might help for new trailers, but there are lots of old Airstreams floating around, too. Also, I believe the numbers Airstream gives would be dry - no propane, no water, no personal stuff, etc (batteries?). The decision about which model of 3P might not be that sensitive, though.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
I second those numbers, in particular the shank bolts. After being stranded at Disney land early this year with a cracked equalizer head, the warranty guy at Progress Mfg indicated that failure to torque the bolts had been implicated in failed welds in the head (I installed and "star torqued" by hand - torqued until I saw stars but it wasn't enough).

I still got my warranty replacement, but it cost me an extra day in Anaheim. Pay attention to the torque requirements!
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I bought my 2d ProPride3P a couple of weeks ago. The family that bought my 2012 28' International wanted my ProPride, though I would have been happy to keep it for my new Classic. Turnaround time from when I ordered it to arrival was about a week. As everyone has already noted, Sean is right there. I read the installation instructions to see if there were any changes from my first hitch and I didn't pick up anything. I'll have my A/S dealer install the new hitch. I've got all the tools but man, that thing is HEAVY!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote