Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #41
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yes. As a rookie with the ProPride, I didn't understand the correct procedure to ensure the angle alignment between hitch head and stinger - including the simple adjustments to the WD jacks that make it work. Had a bear of a time once but thanks to the forum folks, I learned what I was missing and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Life has a funny learning curve :-)
I think this says it all on the difficulties some have had in their learning curve, which there is on all aspects of towing really!

I've heard nobody spouting marketing speak on HC/HA/PP hitches on here, just relating actual first hand experience.

Yes - ALL hitches have limitations & drawbacks, & the friction & cam types of anti-sway have theirs, as does the opposing brake application of the built-in systems in the Ford F150 & other TVs with similar systems, while the geometry of the HC/HA/PP hitches use yet another approach, which IMHO actual user experience is better that the others.

I'm sure somebody could do some real crazy a stuff with a TV+TT rig and get it spilled or past the HC/HA/PP limits too - but is that what we're on here to promote.

OP asked for input relative to the SwiftCub, to which a few HC/HA/PP users replied on topic - but with a lot of others degrading it as unusable, which it is not.

It's getting too silly & personal jabs for me to waste more time here, so time for me to unsubscribe to this folly!

Good Luck to the OP & Happy Holidays to all!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
While as a "newbie" it's been fascinating to watch the dynamics of this forum and at the risk of kicking the ant hill yet again, can someone explain this to me?

I can tell the difference & prefer the Cub's ease of use, & feel confident that I can still use it easily well into my 70's & 80's without having to hoist the Equalizer/Curt/BlueOX/etc. types of WD head & torsion bars off every stinking time!

About hoisting the Equalizer etc. off every time?
cajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
One other question regarding the Blue Ox. If I go that direction will the clamp on version work with the 19 foot Flying Cloud or would I have to use the bolt on?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
I think most people agree that PPP hitches provide the best sway control. What is very off putting is a few PPP owners trying to promote their preferred hitch by bashing other hitches (even though hundreds of thousands of people are happily using them). To a neutral newbie (like myself) this attitude is very unappealing.

Also, I find it unbelievable that some experienced folks use the marketing language of their product as a proven fact and repeat it without any qualifiers. Like, "sway elimination". Guess what, a hitch, like any other physical product, will operate as advertised within a range. Go outside that range, and it will not operate as advertised. If the forces of sway exceed the forces preventing it, sway WILL happen. That's just the laws of physics.

Having a steep price, massive weight, and difficulty hitching on uneven surfaces may not be an issue for YOU, but could be a deal breaker for others. Every great product (PPP hitches included) have drawbacks. Stop acting as if you have a product with no drawbacks -- No such product exists.
There are some people that just want to kill flies with a hammer.
But sometimes you need a hammer.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajohnson View Post
One other question regarding the Blue Ox. If I go that direction will the clamp on version work with the 19 foot Flying Cloud or would I have to use the bolt on?

You'll be better off with this question in a thread on that hitch or in one concerned with that model trailer.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Hitching and unhitching is very fast and the head of the BO can't weigh that much more than the stinger of a PPP style hitch.

The clamp on should work, I don't think AS uses different tongues on different models.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How about the Hensley Swiftcub?

I cant say how well any other style hitch works, but the full size Hensley works darn well.

I will save the drama and not mention how fast I was towing today, with confidence, with no sway at all.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I won't mention the speeds I was going across Texas ( 4 trips across) until i looked at the speedo and decided we were cooking along faster than my comfort zone.

The PP and the AS were perfectly happy at that speed. Note that at no point were my knuckles white--as opposed to my shorter slower trips with a Husky WD only setup. Same trailer same TV.

I'm happy with the choice I made. The rest of it is opinion. I'm sticking with my PP.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
A link for the op ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ll-126665.html
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Well...It's been a year since my first post and we've wrapped up our first season. First of all, thanks to everyone who helped out with information. It was all consumed and it was all considered. Here are my thoughts after maybe 8 or 9-thousand miles of towing this summer.

First the tow vehicle. 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 8 cylinder gas Hemi. Very happy with the choice. Averaged about 14.5 - 15 mpg on the interstate doing about 65. After a couple of Lance Campers I can live with that. Some suggested the wheel base was a little short. I personally experienced zero problems with it. Get the backup camera.

The hitch. I ended up with the Blue Ox. Again, thanks everyone who weighed in. I can't prove the negative so I don't know if I would have sworn by the Hensley had I bought one. What I can tell you is that hitching up, particularly with the back-up camera, is very easy. Even without my wife helping it's a five minute job. Maybe ten. You get the idea. Once you have the system down it's very simple, relatively quick and very secure.

The longest trip of the summer was from Missoula, Montana to Austin, Texas to Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Missoula. Right around 56-hundred miles. We encountered torrential rains, winds of maybe 25-30 mph, dust storms, curvy mountain roads through the Ozarks and the Blue Ox was great. That's not to say there weren't times I was more than aware that I was towing a trailer in less than ideal conditions but I never felt I was out of control or over my head. Again, I tend not to travel over 65 mph. If you regularly do, my experience may be different from yours. I don't know what to tell you about that.

Love the Flying Cloud. A few little things to have the dealer fix this winter but all in all such high build quality as compared to the Lance Campers.

Again...Thanks for all your input and safe travels.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #51
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Congratulations on your trip. When you have some time, you might detail your BOSP driving experiences on the BO thread. It seems to be a good solution for some applications and your experience might help identify the strengths and weaknesses that would help potential customers evaluate the system for their application.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote