Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Missoula , Montana
Our local AS dealer is suggesting the Blue Ox. Honestly, since I have the money set aside from selling the 1-ton dually diesel/1172 Lance setup, I'm really just down to being concerned about the ease of hooking up the tt to the tv. I'm reading horror stories about five hour ordeals and being the morning entertainment for the arm chair quarterbacks at the picnic table. Again, one of the reasons for moving away from the truck camper setup was the inconvenience of loading and unloading the camper. Uneven ground, weird angles...Is it worth the hassle?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It would be worth the hassle if there was a hassle. But there's not.

It's entirely a matter of alignment and not hard to do. Understand that concept and you will back right in every time. If not you could be there until hell freezes over.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It would be worth the hassle if there was a hassle. But there's not.

It's entirely a matter of alignment and not hard to do. Understand that concept and you will back right in every time. If not you could be there until hell freezes over.
I agree.

There are those who either don't have the ability to understand how the head angle on any of these pivot projection hitches changes as the head moves from left to right and back again, or else they just don't take the time to move it and observe the change. Those people are doomed to eternal PPP hitch hell and need to go back to a ball and cup hitch. For the rest of us it becomes a very easy process.

When you get the hitch, take the time to note that when you push the head to the left, the alignment of the head will turn toward to right and visa versa. (This is the basis of the whole design). Therefore when you need to approach the trailer from an angle to the left, the head must be offset toward the right the appropriate amount. This can be done by observation to be sure the face and opening of the head are pointed at the middle of the back of the tow vehicle (that's where the stinger is now inserted into the receiver). I am not sure about the Hensley's, but with the ProPride there is enough leeway in the opening on the head, that if you are close, it will fine adjust on its own.

You will find these or (similar) helpful whatever hitch you choose.

Amazon.com: Hitchin Rod: Automotive

Ken
Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
My rig came with a Hensley. First time to hitch up wasn't too bad. I had checked out the videos and stuff before hand. After a few times of hitching and unhitching you will be a pro at it. Odd angles are not a problem. If unhitching at an angle take a quick photo of the hitch area before you unhitch for a reference to rehitch. Rear view camera makes it a one person job and you don't have to bother the spouse. Towing with it is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Possibly even more so on shorter singe axle trailers & short wheels base TVs.

So Steve, you said above you had a "short wheel tow vehicle" - was that 12", 13" wheels or what?? Never heard that short wheels on the TV made a difference stability-wise?
Sorry - was typing too fast and should read "SHORT WHEEL BASE TOW VEHICLE". The tow vehicle tires were 15" p-metric with an XL load rating.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Note that many of the ProPride/Hensley owners have BIG trailers. They can't park where the little guys do. I suspect that they are parked on flat, groomed gravel or concrete slabs most if not all of the time.

In contrast, the places that I've been don't offer these amenities. In all but one of my little spots, I've had a significant twist or yaw between the TV and the TT. A ProPride or Hensley would not have worked in these situations. I guarantee that if you want to put on a show at a campground you should look for an uneven/unleveled lot when you use your Propride or Hensley hitch.

Little guys who value maneuverability and being able to squeeze into a small tent camping spot will buy their hitch hardware elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well Airrogant you missed the mark again. We have not been to a site we could not get into because of our Propride hitch, it is quite adaptable to variety of positions and terrain. The maneuverability has more to do with truck wheelbase and driver skill than tiny trailers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajohnson View Post
Our local AS dealer is suggesting the Blue Ox. Honestly, since I have the money set aside from selling the 1-ton dually diesel/1172 Lance setup, I'm really just down to being concerned about the ease of hooking up the tt to the tv. I'm reading horror stories about five hour ordeals and being the morning entertainment for the arm chair quarterbacks at the picnic table. Again, one of the reasons for moving away from the truck camper setup was the inconvenience of loading and unloading the camper. Uneven ground, weird angles...Is it worth the hassle?
Getting the ball perfectly under the receiver is enuff for me.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Note that many of the ProPride/Hensley owners have BIG trailers. They can't park where the little guys do. I suspect that they are parked on flat, groomed gravel or concrete slabs most if not all of the time.

In contrast, the places that I've been don't offer these amenities. In all but one of my little spots, I've had a significant twist or yaw between the TV and the TT. A ProPride or Hensley would not have worked in these situations. I guarantee that if you want to put on a show at a campground you should look for an uneven/unleveled lot when you use your Propride or Hensley hitch.

Little guys who value maneuverability and being able to squeeze into a small tent camping spot will buy their hitch hardware elsewhere.

This isn't true at all. I don't park on concrete.....hardly ever, nor do I use flat gravel. Never had an issue hitching nor unhitching, whether out west, out east, down south, or here in the midwest.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Well Airrogant you missed the mark again. We have not been to a site we could not get into because of our Propride hitch, it is quite adaptable to variety of positions and terrain. The maneuverability has more to do with truck wheelbase and driver skill than tiny trailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This isn't true at all. I don't park on concrete.....hardly ever, nor do I use flat gravel. Never had an issue hitching nor unhitching, whether out west, out east, down south, or here in the midwest.

The mythbusters.....

Ditto for the 'Big' Hensley....

About the only level spot is on the pad at home.

Never had a problem with any of our 'dock'n sites.

I can't see the 'Cub' being any different.

Bob
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"I can't see the 'Cub' being any different."

I think the Cub would be perfect for OP....unless.....he decides to trade up in AS size, as is common. Then the Cub might be too small, and trading HAHAs might be more expensive than buying a "full size" in the first place.

But whether the chain or jack model, the cub is just a smaller, lighter version of "daddy".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #26
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
For those responding:
Some of the responses lead me to believe that some think that experiences with the Hensley Arrow are directly transferrable to the Cub. It looks to me that although they are of similar design, experiences with the Arrow are not really transferrable to answers to specific question about the Cub, because there appear to be definite differences in detail. Further, just because some might feel that hitches of this type design are not "needed" with a 19 foot trailer and a Grand Cherokee, it is my opinion that although one might feel that way if it were them, it's not appropriate to tell someone that is inexperienced towing a travel trailer that they won't benefit from the obviously safer design.

Ken
Ken, for what the OP is asking about hitching at an angle etc. - most of it will be the same process for a Cub/SwiftCub, Arrow/SwiftArrow, or ProPride - since they all use stinger bars & similar process to hitch.

However, trying to sell the OP on the bigger Arrow/PP does not make sense unless he contemplates a larger TT in the future - but even then the Cub can be sold with the 19' & money applied to a new Arrow or maybe Hensley would work a future trade-in discount.

At the $1395-1700+/- for a SwiftCub or Cub for superior & complete anti-sway control & a WD hitch whose main components stay on the Trailer - vs. $500-800+ for a Blue Ox, Equalizer, etc. - the old cost differential of going to $2500-2700+ on an Arrow/PP is no longer that huge of a leap for the benefits gained IMHO!

Is a Cub necessary - probably not, is it a better solution which is easy to use & "cheap insurance"?? .... IMHO yes!

Most HA/HC/PP naysayers have NEVER towed with one, & so cannot objectively compare them unless they have!

I've towed our Avion T20 "bare" with the Ford F150 built-in electronic anti-sway, with a Nissan Pathfinder just plain bare" (a real white knuckle ride once over 55 mph to be sure & a challenge below that), & other TTs with the Curt, Equalizer, etc. WD/AS systems.

I can tell the difference & prefer the Cub's ease of use, & feel confident that I can still use it easily well into my 70's & 80's without having to hoist the Equalizer/Curt/BlueOX/etc. types of WD head & torsion bars off every stinking time!

Happy Holidays!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:

As my Grandad used to say: "Oh Horse Puckey!!"

Not a problem at all! Several other HC/HA & PP actual owners have said so in here too!

Although if I'm tired or in a hurry & don't get the hitch box lined up vertically & horizontally at the head, then it can take a try or two to get 'er in! But then I've entertained the armchair troops with just the ball & coupler at times too, so what!!??

The bigger factor that I've found is having a long a$$ed 27-30' LWB Crew Cab 8' Bed full sized 3/4T pick-ups rented with our little 20' Avion, where they put us into a small space on a narrow 12' w. driveway/road usually used for the Teardrop guys with classic car TVs, because they don't expect us in a 50' +/- L rig!! That was at the Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally this past May!!

Ergo, we're looking for a mid-sized V8 SUV as our TV, similar to the OP's.

And BTW - the Cub's tighter turning radius actually makes that feat, & that of "threading the needle" into our very narrow 8' w driveway with obstacles 24" to both sides at home, & coming off of a narrow 2-lane city street - MUCH easier than with the other WD's!

And I agree with Ampman at post #18 above, that the rear view camera makes it an easier one man job hitching up, but even with those yellow-ball-on-stick aids I've done it solo.

I've put a pic of our Cub below, for comparison with the Arrow pic above. the main difference is a thinner orange base plate at the hitch head which doesn't extend out like the Arrow's.

Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1124140748.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	752.2 KB
ID:	228896  
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

It's a mystery...you must enjoy this persona otherwise you wouldn't perpetuate it.

Once we peel away the hyperbole and conjecture, it's clear you simply have no clue whatsoever what you're taking about - despite the confident manner in which you share your topical ignorance as though it were immutable fact.

I get it - you're anti-Hensley hitches. Super. Don't buy one. And since you know nothing about them, may I suggest listening a bit more if you're really interested in learning so you might actually add a valuable contribution to the forum? And if you're not interested in learning, perhaps it isn't asking too much for you to try to play nice with others? Do you think you could try that?