Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
How about the Hensley Swiftcub?

I've spent WAY more time reading posts about hitch setups than Christmas shopping and this has got to end. I'm brand new to towing after fifteen years of truck campering. We've got a new Flying Cloud 19 on the way. We'll be towing with a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi 8.

Which brings us to the hitch question. Hensley has a deal on right now for the Swiftcub. I can afford it. I'm not rich but I've got the money set aside.

But...My biggest concern is ease of use. According to the guy at Hensely there are enough adjustments on this hitch to handle pretty much any hook-up situation. One of the reasons I've given up on the truck camper setup is the difficulty of loading an unloading the (admittedly huge) camper we had. I do not want to take on another pain in the butt like that.

My driveway is just big enough for the AS. I will almost certainly have to approach the trailer from at least a bit of an angle to hook it up. And, we don't stick to KOAs.

Any experience with this particular hitch? I would also really like to hear from people with alternative options. My budget is really no more than the 1595.00 or so they're asking with free shipping.

Thanks in advance for advice.
cajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You can approach the hookup at an angle to the trailer as long as the hitch head (mounted on the Airstream tongue) is turned to the same angle as your stinger (mounted on your truck).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How abot the Hensley Swiftcub?

There is at least one other posting on here using that version.

The learning curve for me on the HA was in re-approximating the relation of TV to TT when I unhitched.

The hitch performance makes it worthwhile.

I'd say it's harder to back to the hitch than to get it set. A camera or one of the hitching aids that make it easy to back takes the stress out. The HA is no big deal after practice. That said I usually have to relearn it if I have not towed in a while. But then that is true for a conventional hitch as well. So, make a good checklist for departure and place hitching at the best line in that list to keep stress low.

Sounds like it will be a very nice combination rig. Look forward to pics.

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, The hensley/pp hitch is over kill and a waste of money for such a light trailer and TV combination. You would be better served with a hitch such as the Blue Ox SwayPro. It prevents all sway, lighter, less expensive, cleaner, and easier to set up and use. Proper set up is key with whatever system you decide to purchase. Good Luck and see you down the road.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Doug...Regarding the hitch head on the trailer. Does it have the flexibility to angle sufficiently?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You are wasting no money in achieving the far superior comfort and safety in purchase of a hitch that always keeps the trailer in alignment with the tow vehicle and eliminates all sway. Only Hensley and ProPride can offer that experience in all towing conditions.

That's testimony based on experience with conventional and a Hensley/Propride hitch design.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajohnson View Post
Doug...Regarding the hitch head on the trailer. Does it have the flexibility to angle sufficiently?
Yes, if you back it into a spot and unhitch at an angle, you can hook up again at that angle. Alignment of the hitch head and stinger, vertically and horizontally, is critical. The hitch head can be tilted some using the w.d. bar screw jacks, if needed.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
All input is appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with this particular hitch? The Swiftcub? Ease of use. Durability? I understand the hitch bar is welded tubing, not solid. Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
For those responding:
Some of the responses lead me to believe that some think that experiences with the Hensley Arrow are directly transferrable to the Cub. It looks to me that although they are of similar design, experiences with the Arrow are not really transferrable to answers to specific question about the Cub, because there appear to be definite differences in detail. Further, just because some might feel that hitches of this type design are not "needed" with a 19 foot trailer and a Grand Cherokee, it is my opinion that although one might feel that way if it were them, it's not appropriate to tell someone that is inexperienced towing a travel trailer that they won't benefit from the obviously safer design.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the ProPride best if you can scratch up the extra cash. One thing about the smaller rated hitch, if you ever get a larger trailer the hitch may be not be substantial enough. Could cost less to get the real deal in the first place, and be able to transfer it to your next trailer.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I'm with AWCHIEF on this. Unless you are just swimming in spare cash, and you want to blindly FEEL like you are buying the best, buy something else. Even the Cub is overkill (and overpriced) for your TV/TT combo.

Others will go on and on about safety, security, comfort, and who knows what else. It is a façade. You're just as safe, secure, and comfortable with a lower cost unit without ALL of the many associated hassles inherent with the Cub's design.

To tell an inexperienced tower that they must pony up for a Hensley, ProPride, or Cub is just plain bad advice. Should they install a weight distributing hitch with sway control? Yes. Do they need an expensive gimmick hitch? No.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have no experience with the HAHA Cub hitch.
I did have the standard size HAHA on a very light 22' Airstream Excella trailer with short wheel tow vehicle. It worked very well. Cost is the only reason to consider other hitches but in my opinion short trailers trailers will benefit just as much as the longer trailers with a Hensley type of hitch. The trailer towed solidly behind the Wagoneer.
Go for it!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajohnson View Post
All input is appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with this particular hitch? The Swiftcub? Ease of use. Durability? I understand the hitch bar is welded tubing, not solid. Thoughts?
For about 2 years now we've been using the regular Cub (jacks not chains) with our vintage 20' 1960 Avion T20 (+/- 3000-3500# wet & loaded 2640# dry/empty 1961 factory no. - admittedly lighter than your newer 19'FC), with a range of rented TVs ranging from Nissan Pathfinder SUVs to Dodge 2500 & Ford F150 & F250 - different every time! We're currently looking for a similar size/power used mid-size V8 SUV to your GC-V8 ('06-10 Cayenne S is my ideal ), so we bought the Cub with that in mind.

A Rear Camera makes it much easier - otherwise use those yellow-ball on stick things! I can often hitch 1st shot once height/angle is set for the stinger box. It sounds like you'll be towing more than my 3-5 trips/yr, so you'll get good faster. Angle shots & uneven grades may be a bit more tries until you're used to it. I look at it as you're either lining up a ball/coupler or stinger/box with minimal freeplay/adjusting, so you just get used to it either way.

Look, I hadn't towed anything except a utility trailer here & there since my Dad's 18` boat in the 1960's, & now I have to do so with a different TV every time & I can get it fairly easily now!

So I'm sure you'll pick it up easily.

PP is similar to the Hensley Arrow & both are priced much higher, but you probably won't need it with your small 19'FC (check TT wt & hitch wt with Terry at Hensley), so buying more hitch is a waste of money, contrary to some other comments.

I looked at them all also, & yes, I too could've gone with an Equalizer or Blue Ox, etc. - but then I'd be screwing with removing & reinstalling the WD hitch heads all the time & using the chain levers to lift & torsion the bars. With the Hensley Cub/Arrow & PP everything stays on the A-frame, except you still remove the stinger bar from the TV - but that's the same as also having to remove the tow bar/ball from the TV.

The only difference Cub vs. Swiftcub is the torsion bar jacks instead of chains to jack up, which I didn't want to have to hassle with , especially as I get older (I'm 62 now with the aches & pains of 26 years playing college & adult club Rugby, after 9 youth & HS football).

Ask Terry if he can give you a deal on a Cub - IIRC ours was only about $1700 a couple of years ago - if the ease of jacks will be a good investment for you.

If you can afford either Cub, you won't be disappointed with the ease of towing & absolutely no sway! Look at it as cheap insurance for admittedly some of the most expensive TT's on the market, so it's cheaper than repairs or a total loss!

Make sure to get with Terry on the Stinger bar drop ht. so that it fits your TV to TT, since the Hensley box ends up lower than the coupler/ball ht. on most TTs.

Also Hensley has excellent post purchase customer support & lifetime warranty, as does PP I think.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I have no experience with the HAHA Cub hitch.
I did have the standard size HAHA on a very light 22' Airstream Excella trailer with short wheel tow vehicle. It worked very well. Cost is the only reason to consider other hitches but in my opinion short trailers trailers will benefit just as much as the longer trailers with a Hensley type of hitch. The trailer towed solidly behind the Wagoneer.
Go for it!
Possibly even more so on shorter singe axle trailers & short wheels base TVs.

So Steve, you said above you had a "short wheel tow vehicle" - was that 12", 13" wheels or what?? Never heard that short wheels on the TV made a difference stability-wise?
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Missoula , Montana
Our local AS dealer is suggesting the Blue Ox. Honestly, since I have the money set aside from selling the 1-ton dually diesel/1172 Lance setup, I'm really just down to being concerned about the ease of hooking up the tt to the tv. I'm reading horror stories about five hour ordeals and being the morning entertainment for the arm chair quarterbacks at the picnic table. Again, one of the reasons for moving away from the truck camper setup was the inconvenience of loading and unloading the camper. Uneven ground, weird angles...Is it worth the hassle?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It would be worth the hassle if there was a hassle. But there's not.

It's entirely a matter of alignment and not hard to do. Understand that concept and you will back right in every time. If not you could be there until hell freezes over.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It would be worth the hassle if there was a hassle. But there's not.

It's entirely a matter of alignment and not hard to do. Understand that concept and you will back right in every time. If not you could be there until hell freezes over.
I agree.

There are those who either don't have the ability to understand how the head angle on any of these pivot projection hitches changes as the head moves from left to right and back again, or else they just don't take the time to move it and observe the change. Those people are doomed to eternal PPP hitch hell and need to go back to a ball and cup hitch. For the rest of us it becomes a very easy process.

When you get the hitch, take the time to note that when you push the head to the left, the alignment of the head will turn toward to right and visa versa. (This is the basis of the whole design). Therefore when you need to approach the trailer from an angle to the left, the head must be offset toward the right the appropriate amount. This can be done by observation to be sure the face and opening of the head are pointed at the middle of the back of the tow vehicle (that's where the stinger is now inserted into the receiver). I am not sure about the Hensley's, but with the ProPride there is enough leeway in the opening on the head, that if you are close, it will fine adjust on its own.

You will find these or (similar) helpful whatever hitch you choose.

Amazon.com: Hitchin Rod: Automotive

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #18
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
My rig came with a Hensley. First time to hitch up wasn't too bad. I had checked out the videos and stuff before hand. After a few times of hitching and unhitching you will be a pro at it. Odd angles are not a problem. If unhitching at an angle take a quick photo of the hitch area before you unhitch for a reference to rehitch. Rear view camera makes it a one person job and you don't have to bother the spouse. Towing with it is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Possibly even more so on shorter singe axle trailers & short wheels base TVs.

So Steve, you said above you had a "short wheel tow vehicle" - was that 12", 13" wheels or what?? Never heard that short wheels on the TV made a difference stability-wise?
Sorry - was typing too fast and should read "SHORT WHEEL BASE TOW VEHICLE". The tow vehicle tires were 15" p-metric with an XL load rating.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Note that many of the ProPride/Hensley owners have BIG trailers. They can't park where the little guys do. I suspect that they are parked on flat, groomed gravel or concrete slabs most if not all of the time.

In contrast, the places that I've been don't offer these amenities. In all but one of my little spots, I've had a significant twist or yaw between the TV and the TT. A ProPride or Hensley would not have worked in these situations. I guarantee that if you want to put on a show at a campground you should look for an uneven/unleveled lot when you use your Propride or Hensley hitch.

Little guys who value maneuverability and being able to squeeze into a small tent camping spot will buy their hitch hardware elsewhere.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote