Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Hitching up the Propride

We recently changed our hitch to a Propride 3. We find that the TV has to be angled at 45 degrees in order for the hitch to engage. We've tried to have the hitch straight on and when the TV tries to connect, the hitch moves to the right. Any words of wisdom on hitching up? We finally get it hitched and connected, but it can be a pain and quite frustrating at times. Thanks
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The only time mine shifts is if I am at an angle, or the elevation of the trainer doesn't line up with the stinger on the truck. Have you called Sean at ProPride and asked him? He has always provided great support.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
We recently changed our hitch to a Propride 3. We find that the TV has to be angled at 45 degrees in order for the hitch to engage. We've tried to have the hitch straight on and when the TV tries to connect, the hitch moves to the right. Any words of wisdom on hitching up? We finally get it hitched and connected, but it can be a pain and quite frustrating at times. Thanks
Hi. I'm learning something new about it every time. It's critical when you UNHITCH to ONLY take the weight jacks down to the point where they're loose (can be kicked with your foot). That's the angle you depart and that's the angle you'll come back to hitch. If it moves the head, try adjusting the weight jacks until it moves in to place. A little practice and you'll get it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Hi. I'm learning something new about it every time. It's critical when you UNHITCH to ONLY take the weight jacks down to the point where they're loose (can be kicked with your foot). That's the angle you depart and that's the angle you'll come back to hitch. If it moves the head, try adjusting the weight jacks until it moves in to place. A little practice and you'll get it!!
Do you mean the weight distribution jack when you say "weight jack"?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The trick is to have the opening in the hitch head properly lined up with the stinger, especially horizontally. If the jacks are properly loose, the head will rock a bit vertically and the stinger will still go in. Horizontally, if the angle is off very much, the hitch head will cock to the side and entry is impossible without starting again.

My main hookup tool is a 10' piece of heavy (about 3/4") orange rope with a strong magnet on one end and a weight on the other. I stick the magnet below the hitch head opening and align the rope with the angle of the hitch. I use a backup camera stuck to the stinger to keep the black stinger right over the rope as I back in. The same would work with someone directing you. They can advise you when the stinger is in line with the rope.

The rope really works well at night or when the trailer must be hooked up at an angle, such as in some of our state parks with the tight little circular sites.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The trick is to have the opening in the hitch head properly lined up with the stinger, especially horizontally. If the jacks are properly loose, the head will rock a bit vertically and the stinger will still go in. Horizontally, if the angle is off very much, the hitch head will cock to the side and entry is impossible without starting again.

My main hookup tool is a 10' piece of heavy (about 3/4") orange rope with a strong magnet on one end and a weight on the other. I stick the magnet below the hitch head opening and align the rope with the angle of the hitch. I use a backup camera stuck to the stinger to keep the black stinger right over the rope as I back in. The same would work with someone directing you. They can advise you when the stinger is in line with the rope.

The rope really works well at night or when the trailer must be hooked up at an angle, such as in some of our state parks with the tight little circular sites.
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
So far it's been working well for me just backing into it, but I'm think of trying three of the magnetic hitching rods. (I need one more.)

Two on the ProPride, one in front and one farther back, both aligned with the stinger box. Then one on the back of the stinger itself.

When we back the truck, keeping all three lined up, it should slide right in (if the hitch height is set the same).

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post

Do you mean the weight distribution jack when you say "weight jack"?
Yes - imprecise language again - my apologies
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I cheat with my Hensley. My magnetic camera is mounted right on the stinger shaft, at the drop bar junction looking straight along the stinger and at the hitch box opening as I back up. No doubting height and straightness any longer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Rochester , Minnesota
hitching up

I have a Hensley. My camera is mounted at the top of the license plate. I painted a white stripe on the middle top of the stinger and a matching one on the receiver. Works great for me.
tedh1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm a bit nervous about hitching up mine at my house - the trailer will sit on flat surface but my truck will come in at a different angle on my yard - Sean told me to loosen the LD bars on approach and make sure that when un hitching to leave the hitch as it lays so that on re hitching the angle is right

However my approach in the yard is a bit weird and not level so I'm a bit concerned about how hard it will be

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Brilliant!

The two white stripes is a brilliant idea! I just painted them on my 3P and it makes the visibility much, much better for lining up with the camera. Thanks!!!
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
The two white stripes is a brilliant idea! I just painted them on my 3P and it makes the visibility much, much better for lining up with the camera. Thanks!!!
Larry
Sorry to be this dense but exactly where are you painting these stripes, how wide and with what? I just imagine any paint there disappearing after each hookup?? Any photos? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
On top of the stinger and on top of where the stinger enters the hitch, about 1/4 " wide. I taped and spray painted with Krylon white. I do not know why it should strip off as the black paint on the stinger seems OK as long as you get the trailer at the right height.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Wow. How about PPILS "ProPride instrument latching system"???

A couple of white "pinstripe" would be easier and neater than any painting I might attempt!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I put white electrical tape on top of the stinger pointing front to rear and white tape on top of the 3P hitch opening pointing side to side. I use the hitch mirror that Sean sells. This setup works very well for me. Tape has not come off of either area in about 10,000 miles of towing. I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I put white electrical tape on top of the stinger pointing front to rear and white tape on top of the 3P hitch opening pointing side to side. I use the hitch mirror that Sean sells. This setup works very well for me. Tape has not come off of either area in about 10,000 miles of towing. I'll see if I can get some pictures to post.
Here a couple of pictures of what I have described.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	193033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	193034  

Old 08-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I might be able to do THAT!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If it seems logical to assume that a Hensley hookup is similar to a ProPride then - for a foreseeably challenging hookup:

- lining up is everything .....
- longer struts are a lot more forgiving than shorter struts
- stopping the stinger a couple of inches before entry - then lining up the hitch head (up, down, left, right) so it is absolutely dead centre - maybe even slightly low - means a lot.
- a little WD40 on the wedge and end portions of the stinger goes a long way to eliminating any sticking or jamming of the stinger partway into the head.
- stopping again when the stinger has entered the head a couple of inches - and checking to make sure it is exactly centered is very helpful.
- stopping at the first sign of resistance and - if it is needed - then again adjusting the head (almost always up by this point) will allow the hook-up to be completed.

May take a little longer - but it works and saves a lot of frustration .....

On occasion - in really uneven ground - where the TV and trailer form a bit of an obvious "V" - then it may also be helpful to lift the back end of the TV by putting a pair 2X6's under the back wheels of the TV to lift the stinger up.

Rereading this makes it sound kinda onerous - but on uneven ground it works ...... really .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Loks like a lot of non-sense.
Get an Equalizer hitch and get on the road and on with your life.
2011 25 Flying Cloud #525456
2010 F150 Lariat SCAB, 5.4L, 3.55:1
Forger is offline   Reply With Quote