Old 04-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Hitch weld failure

Huge shout out of thanks to AirForum folks for posting about possible hitch weld failures. Thanks to those warnings, I just checked my massive hitch ball mount assembly. Full crack around the entire structure. In for repairs now. Thanks, everyone. Have a safe summer!

Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Good advice. Just because something comes from the factory doesn't mean they weeded out the bad welders before having them work on your hitch. It's a good idea to check for weld cracks from time to time.

out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Not just a Jeep a concern...GM also.

Go for an up-grade...many good aftermarket options.👍
Our wasn't rusted, just a wimpy round bar design.🥴
Last pic is one we replaced at the GM store🥺

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_555.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	338256   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4d2.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	338257  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_10bf.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	338258  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Believe we are discussing the Equi-l-izer hitch head failure, but the OP did not specify. Important to inspect all. Hitch, receiver, frames and axle mounts. Inspection keeps you ahead of catastrophic failure.

This report is a surprise, because the trailer is a recent model. If the hitch was new, that makes this a bit different notice as prior head failure was quite old.

Thanks for sharing. Together we know a lot more than we do alone. Pat
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Yup! A year back I had a total failure of a 2017 Ford F-250 hitch. Ford replaced it with a Curt. Ford's were all bad.

Too much slop with the adapter and rounded out holes for the pin. Soft metal, not fixable. I believe Ford used a Reese hitch.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Yup! A year back I had a total failure of a 2017 Ford F-250 hitch. Ford replaced it with a Curt. Ford's were all bad.

Too much slop with the adapter and rounded out holes for the pin. Soft metal, not fixable. I believe Ford used a Reese hitch.

Turk, what did a total failure look like prior to failure? Elongated pin holes? Any other symptoms?
nryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Turk, what did a total failure look like prior to failure? Elongated pin holes? Any other symptoms?
The adapter that Ford uses for their hitch from 2 1/2 to 2" has elongated holes in it. It promotes the pin moving in the side holes. Mine got so bad that it was flared. The Ford dealer caught the problem and said: "I wouldn't haul with it like that". A machinist later looked at it and said it could not be fixed.

Ford corporate said that all their hitches are like that. Agreed that they were not right. They bought me a Curt hitch and had it installed. I was impressed with the size of the Curt hitch compared to the Ford.

Amazingly, the Curt hitch had slop using its adapter also! I ended up buying the 2 1/2" version of the propride stinger (no adapter required) and one of these. This device works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81+T5ChxKoL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	338263  

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
The adapter that Ford uses for their hitch from 2 1/2 to 2" has elongated holes in it. It promotes the pin moving in the side holes. Mine got so bad that it was flared. The Ford dealer caught the problem and said: "I wouldn't haul with it like that". A machinist later looked at it and said it could not be fixed.

Ford corporate said that all their hitches are like that. Agreed that they were not right. They bought me a Curt hitch and had it installed. I was impressed with the size of the Curt hitch compared to the Ford.
Wow, that’s amazing that it flared, though I can imagine that something as heavy as a TT flopping around on a loose sleeve adapter will bend just about anything in short order. Still, surprised Ford corporate would spec such a lousy part for such an integral aspect of a truck designed to do this very thing. Glad they did the right thing for you.

Quote:
Amazingly, the Curt hitch had slop using its adapter also! I ended up buying the 2 1/2" version of the propride stinger (no adapter required) and one of these. This device works very well.

I bought one of those to use with a hitch-mounted bike rack and a cargo carrier on my (then) Volvo wagon, both of which used 1.5”->2” adapters and it did indeed work well.

I bought a ProPride with my Airstream and insisted that it be set up with one of their HD 2.5” receiver bars rather than rely on a sleeve adapter. No slop, but I now know to keep checking it...

nryn is online now   Reply With Quote