Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishgirl View Post
Our dealership for our Volvo where extremely impressed with the reinforced hitch put on our vehicle by CanAm. They certainly had no issues with what had been done.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I understand that different dealerships in different countries operate differently. I still recommend, that if you have a warranty, run it by your dealer so there are no surprises.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I also own a truck and trailer repair facility. as a service shop I would never modify any hitch that was installed by the Manufacturer especially to "beef it up" to handle more weight than the vehicle was built and designed for. to put this issue to bed if the X5 can move mountains why did BMW install a hitch that needed beefed up. Class five hitches are available????

A good question for BMW!!!

P/s will the rear tires and wheels be overloaded. take your new rig loaded and get each tire weighed individually and I would assume when the trailer is loaded the weight of the rear wheels may exceed the tire manufacturers specifications along with the wheel capacity. This is a large issue in the Class A motorhome market, more weight on the tire than the tire is built for.
I guess some of the posters here would build a 45 foot Prevost Motorhome on a single rear axle, would it work-yes, would it be safe NO.
Size does matter this is why over the road truck have wheels as big as 24.5

we can beat this horse all day and as I said in the beginning all is fine to something happens.

do me one favor if you have grandchildren don't haul them in the X5 when towing the loaded trailer.........

if the rational explained by previous posters carried weight why would trucking company buy tandem axle tractor and tandem axle trailers.

exceeding the tow vehicle combination gross vehicle weight has an operator looking for trouble.

Earl M
Pa. State Certified Inspection Mechanic

Just because you can tow it doesn't mean it is safe to tow.

Just a question when you had the hitch modified did the vendor that modified mark your invoice that the GVWR of the X5 was increased??? did he provide you with a written warrany on his modification or does his invoice disclaim any liability resulting from the modification of the hitch (beefing it up?

In closing please go to your BMW dealer after you weight your X5 and your loaded new trailer and ask him if it safe to tow the gross weight.

Tire rating, suspension rating and brake rating all go into the tow capacity!!!

Old 01-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Tire rating, suspension rating and brake rating all go into the tow capacity!!!
Here we go again, but this time with grandchildren rather than orphans. Will somebody please think of the children.

If trucks can move mountains, why are there different towing options available for those?

Several pages ago we explained in some detail, using physics and everything, that the brake capabilities of the BMW not only match those of a heavy duty truck but most likely exceed it by quite a margin. Why? Because they have to, given the high top speed the BMW is capable of.

LT tires can carry more weight that any Airstream trailer in existance can possibly add to the tow vehicle. My tires are rated 2200lbs each, far more than I need to tow my trailer.

Independent suspension will outperform more primitive setups any time, any place. Nobody is suggesting to tow an 18 wheeler with this setup.

The service manager at my Honda dealership too was most impressed by the hitch setup performed by CanAm. "Quality workmanship" was his comment. When asked if strengthening the hitch would invalidate or adversely affect the vehicle's warranty he looked confused and answered that there was no reason why it should.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #116
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hitch Recommendations Wanted for 25RB-BMW X5d combo

EarlM, no one had a choice until about thirty years ago as to having a factory hitch receiver. Did you not know this, or did you leave it out? At best we had a factory schematic of how to construct a hitch receiver for that car or truck and about the only caveat was not to use the axle tubes to create said receiver.

"Ratings" themselves didn't come along until the mid-late 1960s and were easily as conservative as many of those today.

Did that mean those 1967 Chryslers fell apart? Or didn't last nearly 200k on the original engine plus a single trans rebuild? Where towing may have accounted for 30% or more of those miles? Desert, mountains and foreign countries?

Vacationers, private individuals, aren't working under the same motivations as your commercial customers. They aren't farmers or ranchers pushing the limits as you understand them. They are for the most part using well understood formulas for setting up a family vehicle for towing a travel trailer that in no way exerts the punishment of a heavy, high CG big square box. And not at all full time as the term applies in commercial applications.

The only time I've seen warranty questions arise is when a truck owner has so grossly overloaded his GN trailer that it bent the truck frame. And the servicing dealer told me that for the most part they work with the customer, even the stupid ones. These aren't RVers. I don't know of warranty work denied on hotshot trucks where GCWR and GVWR are both exceeded, almost daily. But not tire/wheel ratings. 300k of hard miles and lease roads no sane travel trailer owner would ever travel.

Put it in perspective.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
Here we go again, but this time with grandchildren rather than orphans. Will somebody please think of the children.

If trucks can move mountains, why are there different towing options available for those?

Several pages ago we explained in some detail that the brake capabilities of the BMW not only match those of a heavy duty truck but most likely exceed it by quite a margin. Why? Because they have to, given the high top speed the BMW is capable of.

LT tires can carry more than any Airstream weighs. My tires are rated 2200lbs each, far more than I need to tow my trailer.

The service manager at my Honda dealership too was most impressed by the hitch setup performed by CanAm. "Quality workmanship" was his comment.
the workman ship might be excellent but it may not be LEGAL ask your service manager to give you a written statement on the dealership letterhead that the modification complies with Honda Specifications.

Let the original poster gather facts and base a decision on facts not opinions on a forum..

For a fun comment- the difference between a bus load of orphans and a few grandchildren is the number of claimants in a wrongful death lawsuit..

if your philosophy is correct you would see all large AS trailers pulled with mid size SUV's.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
to put this issue to bed if the X5 can move mountains why did BMW install a hitch that needed beefed up. Class five hitches are available????

Just a question when you had the hitch modified did the vendor that modified mark your invoice that the GVWR of the X5 was increased??? did he provide you with a written warrany on his modification or does his invoice disclaim any liability resulting from the modification of the hitch (beefing it up?
Excellent points worth pondering
Old 01-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #119
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Quote:
the workman ship might be excellent but it may not be LEGAL ask your service manager to give you a written statement on the dealership letterhead that the modification complies with Honda Specifications.

Let the original poster gather facts and base a decision on facts not opinions on a forum..

For a fun comment- the difference between a bus load of orphans and a few grandchildren is the number of claimants in a wrongful death lawsuit..

if your philosophy is correct you would see all large AS trailers pulled with mid size SUV's.

And what is legal, EarlM? You don't know? I can run a commercial load all over the country 10,000lbs above the stated GCWR of my truck and only receive compliments from state scale house and DOT inspectors for my tarp system. Legality is in not exceeding tire and wheel ratings beyond other safety inspection criteria.

And if owners were aware of how much better some TVs were they'd use other than pickups with these trailers.

What I see in threads like this is a common lack of understanding of why this TT type is different. That's where a large part of the problem lays.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And what is legal, EarlM? You don't know? I can run a commercial load all over the country 10,000lbs above the stated GCWR of my truck and only receive compliments from state scale house and DOT inspectors for my tarp system. Legality is in not exceeding tire and wheel ratings beyond other safety inspection criteria.

And if owners were aware of how much better some TVs were they'd use other than pickups with these trailers.

What I see in threads like this is a common lack of understanding of why this TT type is different. That's where a large part of the problem lays.
All I ask is the original owner try to determine if what he proposed is legal and does not exceed manufacturers specification, we are not only take the vehicle specs but the tire and the wheel ratings. let give him the facts to check out and I am sure he is intelligent enough to decide.

I don't feel any modification you can do to a X5 can make it legal and safe to tow a loaded 25 foot airstream...
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Earl, tow ratings are all over the place, exact same vehicle different years, different country, try to make sense of it. It's been hashed and scrambled here continuously.

Axle ratings and tire ratings are consistent, I don't think anyone is doubting they are legitimate.

But we're really trying to answer the o.p.'s original request for a hitch recommendation. He's already been using the BMW to tow his Airstream and has every intention of sticking with it. He's already had the hitch reinforced to take the twisting action of w.d., which many rated stock factory hitches cannot withstand. (Check General Motors pickup truck history for an example.) And he's laughing at us arguing about anything but a hitch recommendation.

This thread is so bogged down with so many opposing expert (and not so expert) opinions I am now becoming more concerned about the basic understanding of these systems by those qualified and certified to do the work and inspections.

My background (it's been awhile) is Navy aircraft maintenance, including running the quality assurance and safety division. I've seen many wrecks of a different nature and lost some shipmates. This qualifies me for nothing here, but I have learned to keep my eyes open. Especially with regards to safety and how it can be improved.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #122
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Legal has been covered. How well it drives you should leave to experience.

Rich Luhr is a contributor worth your time to listen and to read. Posts, magazine articles, podcasts and videos.

Andrew Thomson of Can Am RV is invited by Airstream to make presentations on the subject. His posts, threads and online magazine articles are worth the time.

As a business owner it is best to have the range of options available. For any of us to forever "simplify" is not to have our own or our customers best interest at heart. A more expensive and less safe choice is what truck ownership can represent

I believe you will enjoy what you find.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #123
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I don't feel any modification you can do to a X5 can make it legal and safe to tow a loaded 25 foot airstream...
The X5 was designed and certified by the manufacturer to tow 7700 lbs, while respecting axle and tire limits. The various hitches that the German designers came up with do not plan on weight distribution equipment. The 7700 lb hitch isn't built to an SAE standard, they use things like TUV.

I think that modifications to allow the use of weight distribution equipment make it safer.

Legal doesn't enter in to it. GVWR and axle loads are legal issues, but aren't being debated. Tow ratings aren't legal issues so much as guidance. There isn't a published GCWR for the X5. And the concept doesn't get applied to non-commercial vehicles in any case.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #124
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
The X5 was designed and certified by the manufacturer to tow 7700 lbs
This is incorrect. BMW X5 is rated to tow 6000#.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #125
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
This is incorrect. BMW X5 is rated to tow 6000#.
No, the vehicle was designed in Germany, and that is where the 7700 lb/3500 kg rating came from. The information is widely available.

BMW NA is a marketing organization, which doesn't have design engineers and so on. They distribute the vehicles to the dealers. They locally sourced a hitch in the US that is rated at 6000 lbs, had it contract manufactured, and put that rating info in their US and Canadian owner's manuals. But they aren't the manufacturer, they are the distributor. BMW AG is the manufacturer.

You are correct that BMW NA publish 6000 lbs as a tow limit.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
The mistake here is that you are talking in general terms. There are many mid sized SUV's that are (off the shelf) horrid TV's ie.... older Ford Explorers and older Toyota 4Runners to name a few. The X5 cannot be compared in anyway to those crappers.

My understanding is that that X5 and a good sized Airstream is going to out perform an older Ford Explorer or 4Runner towing a Bambi in every way you choose to measure.