Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Might as well save your dime and just go buy another Eazilift because that's all he ever recommends.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:02 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, for some reason I could not open page 8 of this thread. I tried several times. So I thought that maybe if I added a post I would get page 8 and it worked. Anyone else ever have this problem? Is it the sight or my computer?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #101
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Bob

Try changing the settings to 100 posts per page. Awhile back it would skip all over on me, been fine since I changed settings.

Bob
Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Might as well save your dime and just go buy another Eazilift because that's all he ever recommends.
Someone who has experienced every different piece of connection device, over and over, in every configuration imaginable, in all possible driving conditions probably suggests a certain particular brand for a very good reason.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Someone who has experienced every different piece of connection device, over and over, in every configuration imaginable, in all possible driving conditions probably suggests a certain particular brand for a very good reason.
Yea, I'm sure, and that reason might be that's the hitch that he stocks and therefore sells the most of.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Towing a 25 foot AS with a BMW X5

I would recommend you check with your vehicle insurance company regarding the changing of the hitch and exceeding the vehicle builders specifications for towing and weight capacity..

as long as nothing happens all is fine. having that said if you become involved in an accident and a sharp personal injury lawyer researchs the towing and weight capacity and the advertised weight of the AS and your X5 you could open yourself for possible increased personal direct liability which if your insurance company is not aware of your hitch modification.

all the hitch restrictions are easily found on the WEB..

Be safe

Personal 2 cents I wouldn't tow a 25 foot with a X5
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Earl, that is a completely irrational comment. Just try to substantiate it with an actual case. Virtually all of us have made modifications to our trucks and/or trailers to improve their performance and safety. I've removed the dealer's w.d hitch and put on one of my own, changed the Airstream tire size. Many trucks come with inadequate hitch assembly's and folks go to Reese or others to get stronger hitches. And many have their factory hitches reinforced.

That example has been used here so many times, usually as a "scare" strategy to try to win an argument.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Dkottum,

regarding your comment "Earl, that is a completely Irrational comment"

I am in the heavy duty towing business with 35 years experience and I stand by my comment. We clean up a good number of accidents from over loaded vehicles including tractors and trailer keep in mind it only takes 10% of the load weight to overcome rolling resistance. Stopping is a differnet story. I have no skin in the game I still recommend a review of the original posters comments with his insurance company.

the fact remains legal tow capacities can not be changed by other than the vehicle Manufacturer. So encouraging folks to disregard the MFGer's spec is very irrational from my point of view.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #107
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
What makes a tow rating a legal capacity for a non-commercial application? GVWR, axle ratings, tire ratings, yes. But a tow rating?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Earl, there are so many points of view and plenty of experience to draw on. Cleaning up wrecks is one of them. Specializing in hitch reinforcement for a safer and better performing tow vehicle is another.

That's why the argument never ends.

The insurance argument has not held water when asked to be substantiated. We've already discussed the busload of orphans and the braking. The performance capability of vehicles is routinely modified, that doesn't mean it's illegal or recommended or uninsurable. But when it's done to improve safety as well as performance, it's well worth considering.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #109
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Regarding the hitch reinforcement, I told my dealer that I plan to reinforce my hitch (I don't plan to do this, and just wanted to see their reaction). They told me they would have me sign a paper that certain aspects of my warranty is voided and if I do not sign the paper they would refuse to service my vehicle. I understand, others may have a different experience, but think its a good idea to check with your dealer, if your vehicle is still under warranty.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh boy, check with insurance company, check with dealership guy. Do you fellows call them when you decide to drive five miles over the speed limit or roll through a stop sign. Either of these could result in devastating injury to you and others, and unlike strengthening your hitch, it's actually illegal.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #111
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Our dealership for our Volvo where extremely impressed with the reinforced hitch put on our vehicle by CanAm. They certainly had no issues with what had been done.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #112
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Regarding the hitch reinforcement, I told my dealer that I plan to reinforce my hitch (I don't plan to do this, and just wanted to see their reaction). They told me they would have me sign a paper that certain aspects of my warranty is voided and if I do not sign the paper they would refuse to service my vehicle. I understand, others may have a different experience, but think its a good idea to check with your dealer, if your vehicle is still under warranty.
Interesting approach. Did the dealer suggest to you that (a) they would not fully warrant the hitch they sold you after you modified it (understandable) or that (b) they would take the opportunity that you modified your vehicle to change the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty and reduce coverage for other items not impacted by the hitch reinforcement? If (a), then that makes sense, at least to me. If (b), then you shouldn't accept such practices. Quote the Magnusson-Moss Act to them and see what they say.

One potential impact of vehicle servicing after hitch reinforcement that should be considered is if the reinforcements reduce service accessibility and require the servicing dealer to take more time to repair or replace a component blocked by the reinforcement. The manufacturer won't typically reimburse the dealer for that type of additional work. We routinely charged customers for additional re and re work caused by their modifications (guards, reinforcements, etc). But if we ever declined to work on a vehicle covered under a warranty policy without cause, or tried to change the terms of an existing manufacturer's warranty policy, we would expect to hear from the manufacturer, or the customer's lawyer, or both.