Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #141

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thread Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRod View Post
Between reading posts about legality and warranty issues, I’ve swapped a couple of emails with a towing expert north of the border, and talked at length to a Michigan vendor about pivot point projection possibilities (I think that’s 4Ps).

I am not selling the X5d to buy a truck. I am purchasing a 25RB next week. I will tow it to the Southwest in two weeks. The X5 will be virtually empty. With all that in mind, I’ve been prepping this three-year old, 63k on the odometer X5d by:
- recently replacing all brake rotors and pads
- flushing the brake fluid
- changing the engine oil and filter
- installing new cabin filters
- replacing the windshield wiper blades
- having the transmission fluid, filter, and pan changed today
- replacing today the transfer case fluid
- replacing the differential fluids
- replacing the chipped windshield tomorrow morning
- installing four new XL rated tires 8k miles ago

I did all this because I have at least a modest appreciation for safety and risk aversion, for myself and my wife. And I assure you, that carries over into my Airstreaming.

I came looking for a hitch recommendation. I received several good suggestions...and so much more. And that’s okay with me. This has been fun.

My Take Aways from all the wranglings of the last few days are these:
- the Eaz-Lift I already own, with 1000 pound bars installed, is likely to suffice quite well
- buying a different hitch before I even try the one I already have is rather like a solution in search of a problem
- Reese SC, ProPride, and other good hitches will still be available for purchase if the friction sway control thing on the Eaz-Lift makes me crazy

As a complete aside: If it were the Germans handling the marketing in the USA, we’d likely see things like manual transmissions, cloth seats, and lots more diesel options available to us, plus factory-installed hitches….just like the ones installed in South Carolina on the X5s going back into the domestic German market. I envied my German neighbors for what they were able to order for in their domestic market, even when the products were built in the USA.

As to hitch safety, towing capacity, and all that, Germans don’t do weight distribution, and the German engineers I know personally are genetically incapable of recommending anything they can’t analyze in their own labs, or in this case on their Autobahns. (And I say that will deep respect and fondness for meinen viele deutsche Freunde).

BTW, here’s what BMW AG says about the X5 towing capacity: “Dazu kommt die Anhängerkupplung , die nicht nur eine Anhängelast zwischen 2,7 und 3,5 t.” The lesser capacity being associate with the 2.5d engines, one would presume.

As noted in an earlier post, I am truly thankful for the thoughtful advice. I read the Forum for a while before joining, but now have a much broader depth of appreciation for those who participate and the generally temperate means by which they work to make and substantiate their positions. I only hope I’ve done met that same standard.

Gratefully,

Rod
Rod,

Wishing you the best as you move forward and we are glad that you were able to glean positive information out of this thread. As you can tell there are a wide range of opinions and experience levels with this group, and their passion is evident in some posts. Your post represents a good resting point, as such we are closing this thread.

If you wish to share your experiences going forward with the proposed X5D tow vehicle combination in the future let the Site Team know and we will look into re-opening this thread.

Regards,

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread