Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grays , Illinois
Hitch plugs

I just bought a new airstream 22 Sport. The plug connection with the hitch socket is just making contact and does not seem to really make a snug fit. Of course the flap comes up and holds the plug in, but should it plug in more like a home socket does? I am new to airstream, cannot wait to travel.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As long as the plug holds and the lights work you are good to go.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. That flap has a little flange in the back that sort of locks on to a ridge on the cable - the cable only fits in one way (match "bumps and indents" from one side to the other).

I have a Velcro cable tie on the trailer's 7-pin cable so when I lock it in (with that flap locked down over the cable) I wrap them together with the Velcro strap as added security.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
I just bought a new airstream 22 Sport. The plug connection with the hitch socket is just making contact and does not seem to really make a snug fit. Of course the flap comes up and holds the plug in, but should it plug in more like a home socket does? I am new to airstream, cannot wait to travel.
Welcome to the forums!

I guess I have to agree with the earlier posters that say as long as it's making contact you're OK, but it sounds to me like something isn't right here. I have never had a trailer plug that didn't fit snugly in the socket, taking a pretty good push to go all the way in.

Am I correct that you are referring to the 7-pin trailer plug being inserted into the 7 pin socket on the back of the tow vehicle? Since the trailer is new I am assuming the plug on the trailer cable is also new. How about the tow vehicle? Could the socket be pretty worn? Is it built into the vehicle, or an aftermarket addition? If an aftermarket socket it can be replaced fairly easily. If factory-installed, maybe, maybe not.

The plug on the cable to the trailer has fixed female pins. Contact pressure is created by the wedge-shaped male pins on the tow vehicle socket. You might look in there with a flashlight and see what condition the pins are in. True, the plug is held in place by a tab on the socket cover, but if there's little contact pressure the contact resistance will be higher than it should be and you may have trouble down the road.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
also pick ip a can of electronic contact cleaner....Home Depot and many others sell it...Carry it with you to use on both plugs every so often, keep the things working..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

From experience....

A velcro strap or zip-tie is a good precaution to prevent separation while towing & grinding the plug to smithereens.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	637.8 KB
ID:	262368  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Ditto on the above advice. We also strap the cover with Velcro to insure that the trailer plug stays in. On one of our tow vehicle, the power cord is somewhat taught, causing concern that it could be pulled out in a tight turn maneuver. On this tow vehicle we use a two foot extension cable to allow enough slack.

Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I have found that some aftermarket 7-pin connectors will damage the pins on my truck's connector (Dodge 7-pin kit that was added to the truck, OEM part, but not factory installed). When I went to a Reese brand connector for the trailer, all was well and it's worked ever since.

I'd suggest checking the receptacle on your tow vehicle to make sure all the pins are in good condition. If they are, then what others have said is true--if all circuits are making good contact, it should work.

The velcro retaining strap is a good idea! I'm going to get one.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Grays , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I have found that some aftermarket 7-pin connectors will damage the pins on my truck's connector (Dodge 7-pin kit that was added to the truck, OEM part, but not factory installed). When I went to a Reese brand connector for the trailer, all was well and it's worked ever since.

I'd suggest checking the receptacle on your tow vehicle to make sure all the pins are in good condition. If they are, then what others have said is true--if all circuits are making good contact, it should work.

Thanks for your help. My vehicle is also new. I just worry that if it loses contact on and off, something might get damage. I am going back to the Airstream dealer next week. I hope they can do something to improve it.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
My connection is not what I would consider a snug fit but it has not given me any problems. I use dielectric grease on the plug to ensure good contacts. Using a velcro tie might be good insurance that I'll have to try.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the only issue with greasing the connection is that the grease holds onto dirt. Great in a sealed environment, but not so much in one that is often open. Just MHOP, whatever works for you works for you.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Along the lines of cleaning the contacts... Intake a slurry of barkeepers friend and douse the ends with it. A toothbrush helps make the brass shiny again.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hitch plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post

Hi again, Mimiandrews. I remembered you asked this question here and also snagged a pic of how I do mine. One end is looped on the cable and when plugged in, I wrap it around the lid and it holds everything in very well.

Here's one vendor but you can get them anywhere (Walmart, Home Depot, etc). http://m.delcity.net/store/Grip-Stri...Fckehgodd48NLw

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1464309404.566097.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	263280
Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Free Bird, you might want to closely examine your socket and plug to ascertain they are a match for each other.
There are actually in existence two different types of "7-Pin" plugs..one older type indeed are Pins...and another more modern version is a "7-Blade" connector.
You might be trying to mix-and-match and not realize it.
Hope this helps.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote