Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Hitch help for '99 GMC Suburban 2500

So, we haven't purchased yet, but we're getting close and I got to looking at the hitch reciever on the T.V. & decided I'm not happy and it could stand to be updated. I'm looking for a 10K tow rated reciever and 1K rated tongue weight, and not having any luck. I have a sister in law that works at one of the local trailer/hitch places in town & they told me there isn't one available. Then tried to sell me a 6K (10K w/ weight dist.) and told me that would do the trick.

For the record, we're in the market for a late 90's to early 2000's Classic (limited) '34

So, a bit of weight is involved. I told them I was NOT interseted in a reciever that was 2K under rated weight of my trailer & left.
I'm looking for a reciever that is basicly, Overkill!

The only one I can find is a Curt, Model 14029
Says it's rated for 10K & 12K with Weight Dist. , it's a class IV hitch with a 2" reciever. BUT, it also says there is some drilling required.
(I found this on-line, so the install would be on me to accomplish. I'm handy enough, so no prob.)
So.. I'm looking for some feedback from anyone familiar with this particular hitch ( and exactly what kind of drilling & to what extent)
Or anybody with a suitable alternative on their '99 GMC 2500 Suburban.

Thanks for any info, Todd.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you look at the installation directions, located on the lower right in this link to etrailer.com, it says no drilling is required.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=1999305699

I have ordered several times from etrailer.com and they great to deal with. Also, you can call for any technical advise.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I recently installed a Curt Class V receiver hitch on my '98 Dodge. When I purchased it online there was a statement that drilling was required. I ordered it with that in mind. To my surprise, it bolted right up. The receiver hitch is rated at 16,000# with WD and 15,000# without WD. I also purchased a ball mount (stinger) rated at 15,000# with a max tongue weight of 1,500#. The ball is rated at 6,000# of tongue weight. I am pleased with the equipment purchased from Curt.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Todd,

I have very similar hitches on my 2004 Suburban and 1997 pickup. Usually there are two existing holes that have to be drilled out from around 3/8" to 1/2". You can do it with a good 3/8" drill with a reduced shank bit. If you don't have a good 3/8" drill you can rent something suitable at any tool rental place -- they usually have 1/2" drills for rent.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks Bruce, the same item (on another site) had a disclaimer at the bottom saying drilling required. Maybe just standard fine print stuff.

I'm sure that because at it's best, a '99 GMC 2500 can only achieve a 10K factory tow rating, no Mfg's are going to make a 15K reciever to just bolt right on one.
Guess I'll have to actually go visit a few more shops & see what we can come up with. Maybe do some measuring & dry fitting and see what we can make "fit" !
Thanks guys
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
You will find that Curt is probably the only hitch you will find that is heavy enough and will fit your vehicle. We changed ours for the same reason. It is well made.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
You will find that Curt is probably the only hitch you will find that is heavy enough and will fit your vehicle. We changed ours for the same reason. It is well made.
Another vote here for the Curt hitch. We changed out the one on our 11 Silverado with the same rating your looking at. Great service from etrailer.com and the hitch is much more substantial than the OEM equipment.