Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Hitch height question

We are in the process of getting a 25' EB and I need to get a new shank for my hitch. I have looked at the Airstream specs on the EB and it states the hitch ball height is 18.25" inches. Does anyone know if these specs are to the top of the ball or to the base of ball where it attaches to the hitch? It seems like all the shank manufacturers specify the shank "drop" from the top of the reciever opening to the mounting surface of the ball. But I don't know what this Airstream number is measured too.

We are buying from an out of state dealer and I can't just go out and measure the trailer and I would like to have the right setup when we arrive to pick up the trailer.

Thanks,
Rick
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We just picked up a '58 Overlander, the specs say the hitch is 19.5", the hitch on our truck is 21.5 to the top of the ball, and the trailer hauls level. It also has non-standard size tires. So the answer is probably "it depends"!
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
We are in the process of getting a 25' EB and I need to get a new shank for my hitch. I have looked at the Airstream specs on the EB and it states the hitch ball height is 18.25" inches. Does anyone know if these specs are to the top of the ball or to the base of ball where it attaches to the hitch? It seems like all the shank manufacturers specify the shank "drop" from the top of the reciever opening to the mounting surface of the ball. But I don't know what this Airstream number is measured too.

We are buying from an out of state dealer and I can't just go out and measure the trailer and I would like to have the right setup when we arrive to pick up the trailer.

Thanks,
Rick
The hitch height is measured at the top of the inside of the hitch ball socket on the trailer. This is close to the the top of the ball on the TV but depends on whether the hitch ball has a rounded or flat top.. The height of where the ball attaches to the TV hitch is not relevant, because different hitch balls can have different shaft lengths.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
It is correct to use the top of the hitch ball to the top of the inside of the trailer hitch....Also the EB model comes with 16" wheels I believe... A quick call to Randy in customer service at Airstream should give you what you need to know... When I put 16" Wheels on my 08 - 25' Classic it effectively raised the ball height 1/2" which in my case was welcome and brought me in right where I wanted it to be...
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Thanks, this is what I suspected. The EB is indeed listed as 1/2" higher than the models with 15" wheels.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Rick,
What kind of tow vehicle do you have? The amount of sag that you'll get at the rear (even with the equalizer hitch adjusted as accurately as possible), the condition of the rubber torsion bars in the axles, the tire size, etc. are all variables.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
The tow vehicle is '08 3500 Dodge so I don't get too much sag in the suspension but thanks for reminder to allow for that. Since the reciever is so high on this truck I need a lot of drop in the shank and I have had a hard time finding any locally so may order one before we leave.

The AS is new so the axles better be ok!

Rick
Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Make sure the shank is rated for the load and tongue weight of the trailer. That's the GVWR of the trailer.
I must admit I've never measured the ball height of the trailer or TV. When I hitch up, I make sure the trailer and TV are setting level.
Check the rating on the ball as well.
I will assume you have checked the rating on the TV's receiver hitch. I found that my 2500 Dodge was a class III, not heavy enough for my rig. I upgraded to a class V.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Are you just planning on using a ball to tow with or getting a weight distributing/sway control system?

IMHO an Anderson w/d system would be good choice for your rig.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I have a Reese WD hitch now and have towed thousands of miles with this design. Just need a new shank since the Eddie Bauer is considerably lower than my toyhauler. I have both 750 lb and 1000lb bars with it and I plan to see how it tows with current setup before we make any changes.

Rick
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
So the hitch height should be 19.5 when hooked up? Or the tv hitch height should be 19.5 unhooked?
Sorry to but in on the post, but looking for some clarification.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
So the hitch height should be 19.5 when hooked up? Or the tv hitch height should be 19.5 unhooked?
Sorry to but in on the post, but looking for some clarification.
The 19.5 was the second poster and he started at 21.5 unhooked.

With my truck loaded to go but unhooked the ball is about 22.25. According to what I understand the Eddie Bauer wants to be at 18.25 when it is level so that is the target for the trailer after we are hooked up with the weight transfer bars connected. So I figure I need a shank with enough adjustment to let me get somewhere in the 18 - 19 inch range in the lowest holes then I can raise it up from there as required as we set up the truck height and trailer for the first trial run. I can't say any closer than that until we make that first hookup.

Rick
Old 08-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Rick,
Here's the link to your EB Owner's Manual http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...276994d5e2.pdf. The hitching instructions are somewhat vague, but they are on page 25 (section 2:7). The 18.25" ball height that Airstream is referencing is to the top of the ball. From personal experiences on one ton trucks, I would guess that your trailer hitch load will drop the ball about 3/4". Since you have two sets of equalizer bars, I would use the 750 pound bars and barely load them up since a one ton vehicle is pretty stiffly sprung in the rear with a fairly light weight trailer like the AS. If you were towing a two axle trailer filled with asphalt shingles, I'd recommend the stiffer spring bars and crank them up tight...but, you're on the other end of the spectrum. Just my two cents.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
The 19.5 was the second poster and he started at 21.5 unhooked.

With my truck loaded to go but unhooked the ball is about 22.25. According to what I understand the Eddie Bauer wants to be at 18.25 when it is level so that is the target for the trailer after we are hooked up with the weight transfer bars connected. So I figure I need a shank with enough adjustment to let me get somewhere in the 18 - 19 inch range in the lowest holes then I can raise it up from there as required as we set up the truck height and trailer for the first trial run. I can't say any closer than that until we make that first hookup.

Rick
Rick, sorry for the confusion.
My F350 tv measures 21.5 unloaded and unhooked. Hooked and both loaded measures out at 19.5 for our 75 Sovereign, both loaded so the level equals our rate of 19.5.
Was just trying to clarify for myself the original question of the hitch height of any coach as per specs for as loaded or unloaded for the tv and coach per gross weight of both.
Apparently I answered my own question. Keeping in mind the tongue weight of the hitch. Ours sits level on a flat surface fully hitched.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
Rick,
Here's the link to your EB Owner's Manual http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...276994d5e2.pdf. The hitching instructions are somewhat vague, but they are on page 25 (section 2:7). The 18.25" ball height that Airstream is referencing is to the top of the ball. From personal experiences on one ton trucks, I would guess that your trailer hitch load will drop the ball about 3/4". Since you have two sets of equalizer bars, I would use the 750 pound bars and barely load them up since a one ton vehicle is pretty stiffly sprung in the rear with a fairly light weight trailer like the AS. If you were towing a two axle trailer filled with asphalt shingles, I'd recommend the stiffer spring bars and crank them up tight...but, you're on the other end of the spectrum. Just my two cents.

Steve,
Thanks for this link! Your recommendation goes along with what I have been thinking. I don't want to over think this but we have a long drive to pick it up and I just want to have the parts along that will get us into the ballpark without having to waste time looking for parts.

Rick