Old 06-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
hitch for rear bumper

I have a 2015 classic and want to put a bike rack on the rear. NOW before you all start to tell me why I should not do this. I DID TALK TO THE AIRSTREAM ENGINEERS. They told me straight out that the newer trailers can hold a hitch for pedal bikes. The reason they do not offer one is because of not knowing what someone will put on the back they do not want to be sued. SO with that who or where can I buy a hitch to bolt onto my trailer? Thanks for anyone who can give me an answer

Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
Airstream has a rack and I have it installed on my 25 FC. It is made by Fiamma and was designed to mount on AS bumper and to the back of the trailer. Works OK, says it will hold up to 77 pounds. I have had a problem with a broken rod that attaches to the AS, being replaced under warranty.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
You might find a suitable rack here,

RV and Motorhome Bike Racks | etrailer.com

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
I have a 2015 classic and want to put a bike rack on the rear. NOW before you all start to tell me why I should not do this. I DID TALK TO THE AIRSTREAM ENGINEERS. They told me straight out that the newer trailers can hold a hitch for pedal bikes. The reason they do not offer one is because of not knowing what someone will put on the back they do not want to be sued. SO with that who or where can I buy a hitch to bolt onto my trailer? Thanks for anyone who can give me an answer
Since Airstream claims you could install a hitch on the rear of your Airstream, who do they recommend to supply the proper hitch? Seems reasonable that they would have the answer.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Fiamma rack is ugly period!
It is an afterthought. It blocks access to rear compartment models. I've heard lots of folks unhappy with fit finish and durability!
If the engineers say a frame mounted hitch is ok, fund a fab shop and have one made. It's really not a big design job!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I would put the bicycle in the tow vehicle or in the airstream.....
Old 06-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
There's a front hitch for some trucks that can hold a bike rack.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Every one gives you an alternative or tells you it can't be done, here it is DONE!
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #9
JandD

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Weaverville , California
Been using the fiama rack for two years and 10,000 miles with two adult bikes. Dealer installed. It is nice to have the bikes secure and mostly out of the way. No real conflicts with a front bedroom. Need to pad between bikes to prevent frame scratches or more severe damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Bob, you can get a generic receiver to bolt to either side of the frame at the rear bumper compartment. Them simply add an aftermarket bike rack that mounts in the 2" mounting hole.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
I will take delivery of a 2016 Classic in few weeks. I was considering the installation a a Fiamma bike rack until I read a recent thread concerning multiple rack failures. Furthermore, I understand that you have to be damn near a contortionist to get to the rear storage compartment. It's a shame the Fiamma was not designed to fold down or out for storage access. That said, I'm really interested in the rear receiver hitch idea, if the installation of such is blessed by airstream. Who did you speak with at airstream? What weight capacity did they endorse? How did they suggest the receiver hitch be attached to the rear frame or bumper? Do you know if they will give approval, in writing, so as to protect the frame warranty? Please keep us informed on the hitch receiver installation as you go forward. Thanks so much for your post!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
My 2007 has a hitch on the back that was installed by the previous owner. It's welded to the frame in several places and unfortunately I can't see any branding on it to answer your question. I would suggest taking the trailer to a hitch shop and seeing what they have that will either bolt on or can be welded.I imagine that the person who had mine installed did not find one that just bolted on so went the welding route.

Out of curiosity - did you get any indication of what Airstream meant by "newer trailers"? I wonder if 2007 qualifies.... I've never used the hitch out of fear of frame separation.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

san ramon , California
I'm interested in this topic as well. Many seem to advocate against this idea , but I'm wondering if the concern is for older models vs the recent vintage. 2015 in my case.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The part welded to the trailer would be a receiver, I had one on a 2006 aS that I bought used. I never used it but the dealer and I could see that there was no apparent damage even though it was obviously used by the previous owner. The hitch head or bike rack would slide into the receiver. Am I correct? Any bike shop would have a variety of racks, some good, some bad, some light, and some heavy.