Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Banff18

2018 30' International
Tallahssee , Florida
Hitch for an International Serenity 30'

We are newbies and I have been reading the various threads but I have another question? The information that everyone has provided has been informative and I am thankful but being a newbie I still have questions and concerns. Our AS Serenity 30' will be here in May. i have read through the various threads and have noticed that there are various hitches. I thought what dealership was giving us would be adequate? The dealer is providing a weight distribution kit and a friction sway control. Based upon the threads I am seeing that AS users have gotten various type of hitches? So I am guessing what the dealer is providing is not as adequate or sufficient as what other AS users are using? What are some of the better type hitches set ups to use? I will either end up getting an F250 or a 2500 right before I pick up the AS. Should I keep what was provided and use it for a while or should I just take the AS and get a better hitch setup after i pick it up? Any information would be appreciative.
Banff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
You need to find out specifically which setup they are providing. I have a 30’ International Signature pulled with a RAM 2500 and use. BlueOX that provides weight distribution and sway control. Works just great.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Bring a Hensley when you go pick up your trailer. You’ll be glad you did.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
You have opened up a “can of worms” with that question. Lots of opinions. I have a 28’ International Serenity initially with a Blue Ox hitch. Worked fine most of the time. Really no sway issue at all, but I felt a great deal of “bow affect” on real busy freeways. You may not feel that with the F250, but I did with my F150. You also need to consider side winds effects. Driving a 30’ can be interesting in a 30 mph side wind.

I decided to go with a Pro Pride Hitch. It’s another option. Not everyone uses them due to their expense. They offer some advantages and will essentially eliminate sway and greatly minimize the bow affect. Those that have them swear by them. Those that don’t swear at those that have (at least some). I have never heard anyone say the Pro Pride didn’t live up to their reputation. Read for yourself the difference:

https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

The other kind of hitch like the Pro Pride Hitch is the Hensley Hitch. Both are considerably more money. I bought the Pro Pride because the customer service is great and I liked a little more flexibility in hitching with the PP.

Your also going to get all kinds of people stating that you need to get your trailer weighed every time you take it out. Like that’s possible, because your weight in the trailer can change while on a trip. I do recommend getting a scale to weigh your tongue weight when you start to set it up. It’s pretty easy to do.

With either system it will take some reading and experimenting with leveling and distributing weight in the trailer for the best driving experience.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Banff18

2018 30' International
Tallahssee , Florida
So you are saying just pick up Hensley and take it to the RV dealer and disregard what they are using?
Banff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
You need to find out specifically which setup they are providing. I have a 30’ International Signature pulled with a RAM 2500 and use. BlueOX that provides weight distribution and sway control. Works just great.

If they put on a hitch (whatever hitch) they really need to teach you how to adjust it and level your trailer. Practice putting it on and off at the dealership. It takes some getting used to and their are tricks to learn along the way for each hitch set up.

For example with the Blue Ox I made sure after I had it snug on the hitch ball to lift it up as high as possible with the front jack so I could easily put on the weight bars to the desired # of links (I do that with my ProPride and well to get the exact measurements on the tension bars).
Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
I have used the Andersen, Blue Ox, and the Hensley. All on the same TT hands down Hensley wins. Blue ox was ok. Andersen for me was a joke.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff18 View Post
So you are saying just pick up Hensley and take it to the RV dealer and disregard what they are using?
Your choice is the Hensley or the Pro Pride. Both are very similar in how they work. How they are installed is just a bit different.

1. Call your dealer and ask them if they have experience putting them on. Not all do.

2. Do some research on which you want to get and the pros and cons of each.

3. You can put it on yourself, but if you aren't handy could be difficult. It took me about 4 hours to put on. But someone with experience could probably do it in an hour to hour and a half.

Definitely would be better to have the dealer put on since they have all the tools necessary. But those are tools you will need anyway; for example everyone that tows should have a torque wrench that goes up to 240 or 250'lbs to make sure your hitch bolts are tight.

Also buy installing it yourself you have a better idea of how it works and how to do maintenance on it.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As you have discovered, the Hensley and the ProPride have exceptionally fervent fans who believe they are the only system that is safe and effective. I respectfully disagree.

While I recognize that they are top of the line, there are certainly very safe and effective choices that are much lighter, far less expensive and have few if any moving parts (as opposed to the Hensley/ProPride).

The Blue Ox has a solid reputation as does the Reese Dual Cam among others.

Other than Can Am RV, no one I have heard of has done any field testing, head to head or otherwise regarding the various hitch systems so all the opinions you get (including mine) are either anecdotal or based on the manufacturers claims.

So, since you have the luxury of time, I would keep researching. If you can, visit an Airstream event or Club meeting and check out what folks are using and what they have to say.

Of course, if money is no object and your comfortable with the weight, just buy a Hensley or ProPride and save your time and energy.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hitch for an International Serenity 30'

Hensley and ProPride are both systems designed by the same guy, Jim Hensley. ProPride is the latest version of his design. The difference seems to be that the ProPride has stronger, heavier parts for durability and it does not require drilling holes in the A-frame to install it. That was a factor for me.

Both hitches use the same Pivot Point Projection (PPP) trapezoid linkage design to lock out sway mechanically instead of using friction.

Other differences are that ProPride has an easily FIELD adjustable two piece stinger, and when I was buying, was considerably less expensive. IMHO, ProPride customer service is much better than his competition, and there was considerably less BS involved in the sales process. ProPride also offers a military discount if you call or email Sean and ask, plus cell phone access to answer any questions.

Either hitch will work for totally eliminating sway and adjusting weight distribution optimally.

My 21-year old daughter and I (3+ times her age) only took three hours to install the ProPride and set it up. Won’t tow anything without one now, and since it leaves no holes, I can move it to a different traile if I upsize...[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Your choice is the Hensley or the Pro Pride.

Um, NO! Those are two good options in a crowded field.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Some would claim best, but that’s an opinion....
Old 02-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You should find out what the dealer is proposing to give you. Absent any other information, I wouldn’t automatically dismiss what they give you. My dealer gave me an Equalizer, and it’s worked great. I don’t think the dealer wants to sour the sale with a completely incompetent hitch. But find out what it is before in case you want a different type/brand.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
and since it leaves no holes, I can move it to a different traile if I upsize...[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Because you take the hole with you with the Hensley? Never understood the fear of a hole.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Don’t like drilling holes in the structure of the A-frame. It’s flat unnecessary to potentially weaken it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
I told my dealer which hitch I wanted, and brought it with me. The Hensley factory is across the street from where I work so picking it up saved on shipping. It’s heavy and costs a few hundred dollars to ship.

When I had a Bambi I used an Eaz-lift but I’m not taking chances with a $90,000 trailer so I got an F350 and a Hensley. No holes in the frame either.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
https://keanen.com/blog/2014/10/13/p...p-hitch-review

http://popupbackpacker.com/propride-...0-mile-update/
Old 02-05-2018, 05:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
We are newbies and I have been reading the various threads but I have another question? The information that everyone has provided has been informative and I am thankful but being a newbie I still have questions and concerns. Our AS Serenity 30' will be here in May. i have read through the various threads and have noticed that there are various hitches. I thought what dealership was giving us would be adequate? The dealer is providing a weight distribution kit and a friction sway control. Based upon the threads I am seeing that AS users have gotten various type of hitches? So I am guessing what the dealer is providing is not as adequate or sufficient as what other AS users are using? What are some of the better type hitches set ups to use? I will either end up getting an F250 or a 2500 right before I pick up the AS. Should I keep what was provided and use it for a while or should I just take the AS and get a better hitch setup after i pick it up? Any information would be appreciative.

Our 2016 30IS has an equalizer. Pulled by a ‘17 F250. Very happy with both.
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
We tow our 30 ft International with our F 350 and an Equaliser hitch that was supplied by the Airstream dealer from whom we bought the trailer new in 2012 . In 50,000 miles of towing over vastly varied terrain and traffic conditions it has never felt anything but stable. Yes, passing or being passed by large trucks does give a very slight bow wave effect but nothing I have found to be of concern.Nor have significant cross winds caused white knuckles or sway. I have never had a compelling reason to change.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
You have opened up a “can of worms” with that question. Lots of opinions. I have a 28’ International Serenity initially with a Blue Ox hitch. Worked fine most of the time. Really no sway issue at all, but I felt a great deal of “bow affect” on real busy freeways. You may not feel that with the F250, but I did with my F150. You also need to consider side winds effects. Driving a 30’ can be interesting in a 30 mph side wind.

I decided to go with a Pro Pride Hitch. It’s another option. Not everyone uses them due to their expense. They offer some advantages and will essentially eliminate sway and greatly minimize the bow affect. Those that have them swear by them. Those that don’t swear at those that have (at least some). I have never heard anyone say the Pro Pride didn’t live up to their reputation. Read for yourself the difference:

https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...control-hitch/

The other kind of hitch like the Pro Pride Hitch is the Hensley Hitch. Both are considerably more money. I bought the Pro Pride because the customer service is great and I liked a little more flexibility in hitching with the PP.

Your also going to get all kinds of people stating that you need to get your trailer weighed every time you take it out. Like that’s possible, because your weight in the trailer can change while on a trip. I do recommend getting a scale to weigh your tongue weight when you start to set it up. It’s pretty easy to do.

With either system it will take some reading and experimenting with leveling and distributing weight in the trailer for the best driving experience.
It is only a can of worms to the Hensley and Pro Pride crowd who completely lack objectivity and common sense.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote