Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
If you get a Pro Pride, you will probably need a hydraulic lift/winch, so you can install it or move around your garage/barn.... before or after every trip (that alone without the sticker price, is a deal breaker for me).

Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
We might lack common sense but we donít need five paragraphs to defend our choice of hitch.
Not this time anyway.

Been using the Equal-i-zer for over 10 years and have had no reason to change.

gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
agree 100% with the choice of Equalizer. 2017 30 ft AS international No sway, not even in crosswinds.Pulled by 2016 ford f250 diesel. Great combo.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
We might lack common sense but we donít need five paragraphs to defend our choice of hitch.

Excuse me !
The inevitable 5 paragraph 100 posts singing the praises of the overpriced hitches are always from people who own them.
The simple fact is that the vast majority of trailers being towed on our highways do not have either Hensley nor ProPride. Yet we do not have mass sway induced accidents (or suicides as the H and PP crowd would have you believe) day in and day out. Also a fact that there has never been any empirical real life research, beyond the sales hype that either one of those do a better job preventing sway or have superior WD qualities than many others on the market.
My problem with you all is the constant refrain that unless you have one of these you are not safe on the road, you endangering your family and the general motoring public. That is nonsense and does not serve a newbie well who is looking for advice on hitches. In all my posts about the BO that I use I never tout it as the end all of all hitches. Even though it is a great hitch in all aspects.
There is no need for you to defend your choice of hitch or any other choices you make in equipment. At the same time don't force others into having to defend theirs.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
---------------------snip----------------------------------
If you get a Pro Pride, you will probably need a hydraulic lift/winch, so you can install it or move around your garage/barn.... before or after every trip (that alone without the sticker price, is a deal breaker for me) .

---------------snip---------------------
Uh, absolutely NOT. You install it ONCE, then leave the bars and hitch head assembly on the AS from then on. All the hitch hardware STAYS installed between trips, period. All I have to do is slip the stinger into the TV hitch, hook up, adjust WD bars, then drive. Fred, you obviously have never used one...

The install, for MY convenience, needed a little support from a floor jack to hold the head in place whilst I tightened bolts, only because my daughter was not big enough to lift all that steel and hold it whilst I fiddled with the fasteners and a stout torque wrench.

I occasionally grease the WD bar pivots and the hitch ball, which just requires hitting the grease fittings with a smallish grease gun and EP grease (I installed one on the AS ball socket for convenience).

The only part you have to handle routinely is the stinger assembly (drawbar?) that connects from the AS-mounted hitch head to the TV receiver. It's not as big a PITA as handling the heavy, awkward, greasy WD bars from my old 'Husky' brand WD hitch--which I cave away to some random dude that needed a WD hitch, just to get rid of the hassle of installing and removing the mess from the truck..

I'm a certified, semi-retired Old Fart with a wonky back, and lifting the stinger off the garage floor and putting it into the receiver on the Tacoma is no big deal. I use a spare hitch pin as a handle to grab the stinger assembly. I do place an orange traffic cone over the stinger when it's not connected to the AS, because it is long, and a bruised shin hazard for clumsy folk like me...

If I get real lazy, I'll rig a stinger dolly to put it at the right height, and eliminate the lifting.

I'm already working on power-tensioning the WD jacks, as an "overkill engineering' exercise. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ng-172468.html for more gory details of that adventure in progress.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
The dealer put an EZ2, or something similar, on mine. It has been working fine.
I like the look of the blu ox mechanism, but until mine breaks, cant justify replacing it.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
I stand corrected. Have seen one hooked up, but not the process for hitching and unhitching.

As for weight, I was told it weighs "a lot", recalled 200 lbs, but after looking it up it says 190lbs, so again I stand corrected. (you can ask my wife.... buts its rare I have to do that ).

I am swearing off future "hitch" threads, but as a last thought, I don't own the Equalizer or Blue-Ox, so I can be an objective by-stander, but of the threads I have read when looking for which hitch I should buy, it seems to me most of those Blue Ox/Equalizer folks who are pleased with their hitches, were simply defending their purchase after being told by a handful of Pro-Pride members, that they didnt "buy the best". And that's a turn off, at least to me since its so heavily weighted by opinion.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Corona , California
As others have rightfully pointed out, "best" is an opinion colored by circumstance and situation.

In some cases, I am quite sure a ProPride would be overkill. In my circumstance, towing with a fairly light Tacoma, it was what I needed to get a safe ride.

A different AS, a different TV, a different setup may work just fine.

I know what worked in my case to get the 'white knuckle' ride I was getting with a different hitch tamed--going to a ProPride (or a Hensley) fixed it.

Interestingly, others have gone the other way, because they had difficulty dealing with the connect/disconnect quirks of a ProPride system.

It's a lot like arguing about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin." This was a very real theological argument in the 1700-1800's, IIRC...

Each and every participant has a strongly held position, and fights like crazy to impose their position on the others in the discussion. Human nature, I guess.

All I know for sure is that I'm totally happy with how well the ProPride system worked for me, I understand how it works, and I like how easy it was to install. But then again, I'm a professional Computer Geek, a bit of a gear-head, a jack-leg engineer, a ham radio operator, fiddler with many diverse things, and a very good wrench-swinger in multiple situations.

So, as my family and friends point out, maybe I AM the weird one?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Excuse me !
The inevitable 5 paragraph 100 posts singing the praises of the overpriced hitches are always from people who own them.
The simple fact is that the vast majority of trailers being towed on our highways do not have either Hensley nor ProPride. Yet we do not have mass sway induced accidents (or suicides as the H and PP crowd would have you believe) day in and day out. Also a fact that there has never been any empirical real life research, beyond the sales hype that either one of those do a better job preventing sway or have superior WD qualities than many others on the market.
My problem with you all is the constant refrain that unless you have one of these you are not safe on the road, you endangering your family and the general motoring public. That is nonsense and does not serve a newbie well who is looking for advice on hitches. In all my posts about the BO that I use I never tout it as the end all of all hitches. Even though it is a great hitch in all aspects.
There is no need for you to defend your choice of hitch or any other choices you make in equipment. At the same time don't force others into having to defend theirs.
More paragraphs...geez.

My 27í tows fine on just the ball, too. But donít try that with any tow vehicle. F350 is the other part of the equation.
Countryboy59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. If you donít look carefully at the whole system, you can miss a lot.

If I tried to tow a 27 on the ball with my Tacoma, Iíd probably end upon a ball of a worse sort.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Collingwood , Ontario
At the risk of raising the ire of everyone on this thread, never mind the hitch discussion, you do not need a 150/1500 to tow an Airstream, even a 30-foot. We tow our 30-foot International with an SRX. At first we were skeptical when our dealer said that our vehicle could tow it, and we still get lots of comments and questions on the road, but we have driven thousands of miles and crossed mountain ranges. A carefully chosen smaller vehicle is hands-down a better tow vehicle than a pickup truck for Airstreams. We get 14mpg when towing, and 25 when not. With a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars, we can drive on interstates while being passed by tractor trailers with strong crosswinds with no problems.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbia , Missouri
We have a 2018 30í Serenity and tow it with a GMC 2500HD. Dealer provided us with an Equilizer hitch and have been very satisfied. It is easy to hitch and unhitch.
MoTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Troy , Michigan
Hi, I'm tagging on to your question (mostly because I'm a newbie also and don't know if I'm supposed to ask this question in a separate thread) but we are also getting a new 30 ft international serenity to be picked up in March. i'm looking for a resource along the lines of a "towing for dummies" if it exists? Was hoping others who are responding to this thread would be able to help me out. We have a ford 2017 f150 ecoboost that should be able to tow this airstream but I could use some resources to read on what exactly I need and how I will bring this baby of ours home 4 hours from the dealer! sorry to the admin people if I posted this question erroneously....just appreciated your question and following this thread....
sangeetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleyfan View Post
At the risk of raising the ire of everyone on this thread, never mind the hitch discussion, you do not need a 150/1500 to tow an Airstream, even a 30-foot. We tow our 30-foot International with an SRX. At first we were skeptical when our dealer said that our vehicle could tow it, and we still get lots of comments and questions on the road, but we have driven thousands of miles and crossed mountain ranges. A carefully chosen smaller vehicle is hands-down a better tow vehicle than a pickup truck for Airstreams. We get 14mpg when towing, and 25 when not. With a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars, we can drive on interstates while being passed by tractor trailers with strong crosswinds with no problems.

I don't believe anyone really cares about your choice of equipment. What ever works for you, enjoy.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote