Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
Hitch/Equalizer Advice Needed Touareg TDi w/ 23FB Flying Cloud

We just bought a 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB and are about to buy a 2012 or 2014 VW Touareg TDi. We live in Vancouver, BC so will be dealing with mountains on our travels.

What hitch is best for us?

Do we need an equalizer and if so, what would people advise?

The Touareg is the way to go if we don't want a truck, right? Mercedes suspension seems to count the ML 350 out and we heard its tongue weight max is too low.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Blue Ox SwayPro.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel is about the same size. A Dodge Durango is slightly larger, but no diesel.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinNitwits View Post
We just bought a 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB and are about to buy a 2012 or 2014 VW Touareg TDi. We live in Vancouver, BC so will be dealing with mountains on our travels.

What hitch is best for us?

Do we need an equalizer and if so, what would people advise?

The Touareg is the way to go if we don't want a truck, right? Mercedes suspension seems to count the ML 350 out and we heard its tongue weight max is too low.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Or a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel is about the same size. A Dodge Durango is slightly larger, but no diesel.

Bill
The Jeep seems to have the air suspension system and I had read that this gets confused by equalizer hitches. We were advised to get an equalizer hitch by several sales guys, to avoid damage to our shoulders from "managing" the trailer.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
The Jeep seems to have the air suspension system and I had read that this gets confused by equalizer hitches. We were advised to get an equalizer hitch by several sales guys, to avoid damage to our shoulders from "managing" the trailer.

I am currently dealing with that exact issue with my Jeep GC with the air suspension. I have spoken with the local dealership suspension guy and he had no answers for me. He is supposed to be contacting Jeep engineers and discuss the issue with them.

Not sure what you mean by - "advised to get an equalizer hitch by several sales guys, to avoid damage to our shoulders from "managing" the trailer."

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not sure what you mean by - "advised to get an equalizer hitch by several sales guys, to avoid damage to our shoulders from "managing" the trailer."
Perhaps I am mixing up the terms here. The father of our car salesman damaged his shoulders towing (not an Airstream) because he was dealing with a lot of sway caused by wind on the highway. So the sales guy said for sure we would need an add-on to reduce this.

The Jeep site says they have Trailer Sway Dampening as standard on all Grand Cherokee models. Have you noticed its effect?
Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have never seen or felt any indication of the Jeep reacting to sway. I am not even sure what that indication would be.
Personally I take anything said or claimed by salesman with a large grain of salt. They all seem to have some rather ludicrous tales to support their claims.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
The Jeep site says they have Trailer Sway Dampening as standard on all Grand Cherokee models. Have you noticed its effect?
I have had Trailer Sway Control on several vehicles, not Jeep. The various systems all work the same, since they are not usually from the vehicle manufacturers, but rather from suppliers like Bosch and Continental. They use sensors on the tow vehicle (yaw, steering angle sensor) to detect extreme sway conditions, and apply individual tow vehicle brakes to supress it. It is not a substitute for a sway control device on a hitch; it is more of a safety net, IMO. In years of towing with my current vehicle, including on snow-covered roads, it has never engaged once. But I managed the tow vehicle and trailer (hitch weight, alignment, etc) so that the chances of extreme sway were greatly reduced.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If you want the very best available...

Get yourself a ProPride or Hensley...

They are not cheap new,,,, but they will mitigate any choice of tow vehicles that some may see as less than ideal.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You do need anti-sway to dampen or eliminate (Hensley/ProPride) sway, and weight distribution to take some of the trailer weight off your Touareg rear axle and distribute it to the Touareg front axle, as well as some of it to the trailer axles.

The catch is the VW owners manual states not to use a weight distribution hitch on the Touareg. Search Touareg here, there is much discussion on it.

And the Touareg hitch may need reinforcement to use a weight distribution hitch. Call Andrew Thomson, towing expert at Can-Am Airstream in London, Ontario who does this routinely, for advice.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I have had Trailer Sway Control on several vehicles, not Jeep. The various systems all work the same, since they are not usually from the vehicle manufacturers, but rather from suppliers like Bosch and Continental. They use sensors on the tow vehicle (yaw, steering angle sensor) to detect extreme sway conditions, and apply individual tow vehicle brakes to supress it. It is not a substitute for a sway control device on a hitch; it is more of a safety net, IMO. In years of towing with my current vehicle, including on snow-covered roads, it has never engaged once. But I managed the tow vehicle and trailer (hitch weight, alignment, etc) so that the chances of extreme sway were greatly reduced.

Jeff
Do you have a device you can recommend, Jeff? Do you think it essential?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
You're mixing the vehicle built in sway control with an add-on anti sway hitch or sway bar. The vehicles sway control reacts to sway after it starts by automatically applying brakes to stop the sway. An anti sway hitch or sway bar acts to PREVENT sway from occurring. Both are good.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
mojo! You're the Touareg expert here, help op.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
mojo! You're the Touareg expert here, help op.
Well thanks Doug, but there are a few here that will take issue with that!

But FWIW, I only have experience with Touaregs from 2004-2007, and am not familiar with the OEM hitches on the newer generation Touaregs. But the OEM hitches are very strong by themselves. The bracing that CanAm does is provided to help prevent any extraneous twisting or torque in dips and curbs. I have not had any problems without the bracing but I take it easy on these hazards.

However, you have to add up the REAL hitch weight of your trailer and how much stuff and people you carry in the car to determine whether you will push the payload limits beyond your level of comfort.

Any hitch with weight distribution will be fine. The manual for VW is written by Europeans where they do not use WD hitches, so that is why they advise against them.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote