Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Hitch Ball

I feel very stupid bringing this up but if it happened to me well who knows. I noticed a front and back slop issue when pulling my trailer from storage to home. I unhooked the trailer and when I put the ball cover on, noticed that the ball was very loose. I would say the Nut was half way down the shank. Disaster diverted. Never had I had one come loose but thought I would share....
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hitch Ball

Time to buy that huge box-end wrench to jump up and down on to get they puppy tight again...

Glad you managed to get lucky this time!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Most people don't have the means to properly torque the ball to 450 lbs. Find a good RV center or truck shop to torque ball. You drill and pin as a fail safe.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
Most people don't have the means to properly torque the ball to 450 lbs. Find a good RV center or truck shop to torque ball. You drill and pin as a fail safe.
Hi

..... which *might* be why it came loose in the first place ....The key part of the recommendation being a *good* RV center or truck shop.

I'd also take a look at the threads on the ball shank. They may have been mucked up running along loose. It's not common, but it can happen. Replacing the ball is cheap compared to going through this again ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

..... which *might* be why it came loose in the first place ....The key part of the recommendation being a *good* RV center or truck shop.

I'd also take a look at the threads on the ball shank. They may have been mucked up running along loose. It's not common, but it can happen. Replacing the ball is cheap compared to going through this again ....

Bob
I would agree with replacing ball. Just cheap insurance. I have had a broken ball on landscaping trailer.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
My question is the breakaway cable when it is removed , the batteries drain down completely dead. This what dealer told me. I would like to here from anybody on this matter. Tks
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
My question is the breakaway cable when it is removed , the batteries drain down completely dead. This what dealer told me. I would like to here from anybody on this matter. Tks
What would you like to hear?
When the cable is pulled out of the switch, the batteries will apply full voltage to the brakes until they are dead. Not sure what else there is to say.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
What would you like to hear?
When the cable is pulled out of the switch, the batteries will apply full voltage to the brakes until they are dead. Not sure what else there is to say.
If the umbilical pulls free from the TV will the house batteries provide voltage to the brakes?
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
True. My dealer warned me to never store the trailer with the cable pulled out of the switch. It applies full brakes and drains your batteries in minutes.
He suggested hooking up this way.
1. Remove the breakaway cable and make a loop through the opening where the safety chains connect. Stick the plastic key through the eye of the cable and tighten.
2. Make a very loose loop in the breakaway cable. This stops the extra length from dragging on the ground.
3. Plug the plastic key back into the breakaway switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4taxabel View Post
noticed that the ball was very loose. I would say the Nut was half way down the shank.
I think I'd replace the ball since the hitch rode on the threads for a while.
I took a ball off once and it takes some effort. I bought a 1 1/2" socket to fit my 28" breaker bar. Then added a 3' piece of pipe to that and pried until the breaker bar was bending 10 degrees. Finally, the nut creaked a tiny bit, but it was victory.
Try this. Take the hitch and turn it 90 degrees in the receiver. That way your motion is vertical, not horizontal.
Trying to pull a lever 1' off the ground is awkward and I felt like if something slipped, I'd go sprawling. Just be careful when the nut lets go you don't bash the back of your vehicle with the pipe.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
If the umbilical pulls free from the TV will the house batteries provide voltage to the brakes?
Yes, they are supposed to, eliminates the need for a separate emergency brake battery.

Don't pull the breakaway and leave it pulled intentionally for more than 15-20 seconds. It causes max current to the brakes which can cause damage if left engaged for longer periods.

The breakaway cable gets disconnected on the tow vehicle end. The switch end should remain in unless conducting brief testing.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
If you are talking about the seven-pin umbilical cord, then no the house battery will not provide any braking to the trailer when you apply the TV brakes.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
If your 7 pin umbilical pulls free, your TT has no running lights, no brake signal from TV, no recharging from TV. If the steel braided breakaway brake cable pulls the plunger out of the switch, the TT house batteries apply full voltage to the TT brakes, until house batteries are dead. If the TT was rolling, it should stop rolling. If parked, you may not hear or notice anything, until you turn on or try to use something 12v dc, like tongue jack.

You should periodically pull and lubricate the plunger, owners manual, but reinstall immediately. A quick drain of your battery like that can chop half it's capacity off, or more, forever.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Yes, whenever the breakaway cable (as opposed to the umbilical which is a different cable) is pulled out of it's socket, the trailer batteries go full on to the breaks. Draining the battery is a minor problem in this case. Burning out the magnets on the brake drums is the bigger issue. They are not designed to be "full on" for a long time. There is no really quick way to work out that some of the magnets are toast. You are in for a bit of work to check them out if this happens.

Bob
Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Yes, they are supposed to, eliminates the need for a separate emergency brake battery.

Don't pull the breakaway and leave it pulled intentionally for more than 15-20 seconds. It causes max current to the brakes which can cause damage if left engaged for longer periods.

The breakaway cable gets disconnected on the tow vehicle end. The switch end should remain in unless conducting brief testing.
I worded this poorly, should have clarified if the break away cable pulls away it will. Not the normal 7 pin by itself.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 AM   #15
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You are in for a bit of work to check them out if this happens.

Bob
Just happen to have checked all four of mine last Saturday. In this picture, the magnet, lower center, was pulled far enough forward to latch up the rear brake shoe. 1-7/16" nut or 36mm in a pinch and big-o torque wrench. The magnets look bad, but were flat and just discolored. Attachment 295729Click image for larger version

Name:	20170923_120219.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	295730
Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Just happen to have checked all four of mine last Saturday. In this picture, the magnet, lower center, was pulled far enough forward to latch up the rear brake shoe. 1-7/16" nut or 36mm in a pinch and big-o torque wrench. The magnets look bad, but were flat and just discolored. Attachment 295729Attachment 295730
Hi

If you leave the disconnect plug out to the "flat battery" point, you will need to unwire each of the magnets and check their resistance. Next step would be to put 12V on them and check for proper operation. As you have nicely shown, those checks also need to be followed up by a visual inspection ...

Lots of fun ...

Bob
Old 09-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Well, this picture was there when I posted the first time. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170923_125708.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	295795