Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Bear in mind that a ProPride (and probably a Hensley) will add about 200 pounds to your tongue weight. With a truck (F-150) that is already close to its limits, that may be too much.

I towed a 2017 International 27FB behind a 2017 F-150 outfitted similarly to yours for about a year before concluding that while the truck had plenty of power, the rear end was seriously overloaded, resulting in porpoising. I fiddled with the weight distribution, but the end result was that the truck was overloaded (rear axle and GVWR) no matter what I did. I upgraded to an F-250 and the problems went away. If I were you, I'd seriously consider option 4, despite the cost.

The Hensley and ProPride hitches are well engineered and do their jobs, but they are not without drawbacks. In my case, not only was there a big increase in tongue weight, but the ProPride hitch substantially decreased my rig's ground clearance, and was difficult to hitch/unhitch in situations where the truck and trailer were unlevel/twisted/angled with respect to each other. Since I boondock much of the time, these were problems for me. I switched to an Equal-i-zer hitch, and for my uses, it works better.

Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I can only speak to the "Does anyone tow a setup like this?"

We tow a 34' Airstream with a 2009 F150 5.4L 2WD.

Originally the setup was a Reese W/D with friction bars. Sway was definitely an issue. We switched to a ProPride with 1400# bars and ALL of the sway issues were cleared up. The suspension components on the truck are unchanged with the exception of new rear shocks when the old ones wore out. Replacement was Monroe.

Your description is similar to what we had and the ProPride was our first step and ended up being the final solution.

$2900 isn't cheap, but it allows you to keep your current truck which replacement cost would be much more, and the option of suspension upgrades may or may not solve the problem. If it doesn't, then you've spent that money and still need to spend more to solve your issue.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I pull a 25ft, running around 6500lb on the last weighing, with Blue Ox 1000lb. bars. I had a 2015 F-150. Semi trucks really blew me away. In the mountains, I never felt sure footed, especially downhill on a curve. I upgraded tires and pressure and put on Bilstein shocks. No change. I found a low mileage used 2017 F-250 gasser and problem solved. It has one extra helper spring (which I don't think it ever touches) and a rear stabilizer bar. Since this truck rides hard as my daily driver, I wish I could have kept my F-150, but I fell safer now.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited S/O
Burleson , Texas
I have a PP hitch and love it and the company. Very nice people to deal with. I would recommend one to everyone! Having said that IMO a hitch is insurance.

I don't understand the pleasure we get in weighing our load at each axel, checking our max air pressure, checking to see if the truck is level and the list is endless. People much smarter than me can advise you how to do all that. I enjoy reading it and thinking about it.

I have lived it. I had a 30' trailer and pulled it with a 1500 4 door with a 5.5 bed. It pulled great. Nothing bothered me. Then I went to a 34' with a slide. Not so much fun. I put tires that maxed at 80 pounds, I added Kilderman air shocks, I added a PP hitch. Many of you know what I spent. I got caught between two 18 wheelers in heavy traffic and lots of wind …... almost lost it.

I have pulled 18,000 pound fifth wheels, I've driven an 18 Wheeler, I can drive. Guess what, I went to a larger truck, longer wheel base and I pulled it in the California mountains on roads that said RV's not recommended! Buy all the good stuff your can afford but again in my opinion. Don't let the tail wag the dog. Wind can gust well over 30 miles an hour. A hitch is insurance.
ande
kipziprip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Bear in mind that a ProPride (and probably a Hensley) will add about 200 pounds to your tongue weight. With a truck (F-150) that is already close to its limits, that may be too much.
There is a lot if conflicting information about hitches and tw. Most people think the dead weight of the hitch goes right on the truck. But when people have weighed the PP or HaHa with a Sherline for example from the stinger, they are finding the reading to be much lower due to the added length of the hitch. (Lower compared to loaded tw + 200 lbs) Also when wd is engaged it will shift a percentage back to the trailer axles reducing the weight the truck feels.

Did you happen to weigh your setup to know what it added in your situation?
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #20
Retired Navy Submariner

1993 25' Excella
Ellicott City , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
I have been constructing my "Hensley Hitch Blog Post" for nearly a year now. What it boils down to is basically this: when it works, a Hensley hitch is the best thing going. The rest of the time it's a nightmare. I have read more than once on this forum about people with a Hensley hitch who carry a "back up hitch" for when the Hensley fails. I am now in this camp (a Hensley that is my "real" hitch with a cheap chain version in the cargo hold). I have had the Hensley fail me on three significant cross country hauls. That said, when driving across Kansas with 70 mile an hour cross winds, I can barely tell my 25 ft. Airstream is behind me. After more research, I think my next step will be giving an Equalizer a shot, but my hopes aren't very high for a "magic bullet" in the world of hitches.
Would you please send me a link to your blog? I am new at this. Bought a slightly used 1993 25ft with a Hensley and an old other hitch in the cargo hold. Thx, phil
frone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
Has anyone gone from a half ton to a 3/4 with similar trailer sizes (using a non PP/haha) and it solved the issue or were there still minor issues and needed to go to the pp/haha anyway? Reading here I know there are a lot of people that pull with both a 3/4 and PP.
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #22

Jamul , California
2015 Toyota Tundra, Jayco 27 DSRL at 9K with bike rack on rear. Using ProPride last 5 years and have NEVER had trailer sway in any weather, traffic or road conditions. ProPride is the best investment Period.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Our 2018 27' FC is coupled with a #1400 lb ProPride to a 2018 F150, max tow, 3.5L. Weight of ProPride ~200 pounds; tongue of Airstream 790. With junk and people and dogs in the truck, we are right at max gross vehicle weight. That said, truck pulls trailer in cross-winds with no sway. Passing trucks or cars, going either way… no sway or buffeting. Invest in a ProPride and ask for a discount. Sometimes on bad roads a bit of porpoising happens for a few seconds. I think that's because the tongue weight and loading is at the upper limits of the F150. Doing it over, I'd go with a F250. The investment in the ProPride is worth the safety margin you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propride Hitch.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	333305  
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #24

Lacey , WA
I have a similar setup with the f150 EB, though in a 2011. I have a traditional spring hitch, with proper LT rated tires. I noticed that when I went to a higher load rated tire, my rear end sway went down some, as the sidewalls got stiffer, and less squishy.

Bang for the buck, the eco boost is a good 1/3 - 2/3 ratio hauler, but the smooth ride when empty comes at the cost of additional squat and a bit of body roll when I’m towing.

My money says you’re right on the edge with the tongue weight, and may actually benefit from shifting the load forward, so that you push the ford’s suspension past the “soft ride” point and engage the heavier springs. You have a 1900# load capacity in the truck, so I would experiment with loading up the bed a bit more and see if that will change it up for you.
Rustmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUboy View Post
Has anyone gone from a half ton to a 3/4 with similar trailer sizes (using a non PP/haha) and it solved the issue or were there still minor issues and needed to go to the pp/haha anyway? Reading here I know there are a lot of people that pull with both a 3/4 and PP.
I recently moved up from a 2017 Titan XD Diesel 4x4 (kinda a heavy half-ton truck) to a 2019 F250 Diesel 4x4. My 25' Airstream towed like it was on rails behind my Titan XD Diesel and it initially towed terribly behind my stock F250 Diesel. I know the issue is with the F250 and not the Airstream, or hitch, since it towed perfectly behind the Titan XD. I've been working on the F250 to get it to perform like my Titan XD.

As I stated above, first I increased the tire pressures which helped. Then I increased the weight distribution by moving up to 1500# bars with my 940# of tongue weight which helped some more. Now I added a Ford OEM rear stabilizer bar on the F250 which helped even more. I think the rear stabilizer bar might have been what was really needed, but I have not had the opportunity to tow in a gale-force type wind since adding the stabilizer bar. I dropped the F250's air pressures back down with the newly added rear stabilizer bar and was still was happy with the performance on a medium windy day.

Do you have a rear stabilizer bar on your F150? It seems like very few Ford trucks have rear stabilizer bars as it requires the camper package and 18" rims on the F250. My Titan XD had a rear stabilizer bar. Maybe adding a rear stabilizer bar to your F150 will help tighten up the rear end for towing. I sure hope that it is the solution to my truck's towing issues. It would be terrible if you traded your F150 for an F250 and still had the same towing issues because of the lack of a rear stabilizer bar.

If I continue to have towing issues with the F250, I may consider moving to a ProPride. But it would also be terrible to spend $$$$ on a ProPride if that still doesn't fix the problem. Can a ProPride can fix a truck's issues?
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I recently moved up from a 2017 Titan XD Diesel 4x4 (kinda a heavy half-ton truck) to a 2019 F250 Diesel 4x4. My 25' Airstream towed like it was on rails behind my Titan XD Diesel and it initially towed terribly behind my stock F250 Diesel. I know the issue is with the F250 and not the Airstream, or hitch, since it towed perfectly behind the Titan XD. I've been working on the F250 to get it to perform like my Titan XD.

As I stated above, first I increased the tire pressures which helped. Then I increased the weight distribution by moving up to 1500# bars with my 940# of tongue weight which helped some more. Now I added a Ford OEM rear stabilizer bar on the F250 which helped even more. I think the rear stabilizer bar might have been what was really needed, but I have not had the opportunity to tow in a gale-force type wind since adding the stabilizer bar. I dropped the F250's air pressures back down with the newly added rear stabilizer bar and was still was happy with the performance on a medium windy day.

Do you have a rear stabilizer bar on your F150? It seems like very few Ford trucks have rear stabilizer bars as it requires the camper package and 18" rims on the F250. My Titan XD had a rear stabilizer bar. Maybe adding a rear stabilizer bar to your F150 will help tighten up the rear end for towing. I sure hope that it is the solution to my truck's towing issues. It would be terrible if you traded your F150 for an F250 and still had the same towing issues because of the lack of a rear stabilizer bar.

If I continue to have towing issues with the F250, I may consider moving to a ProPride. But it would also be terrible to spend $$$$ on a ProPride if that still doesn't fix the problem. Can a ProPride can fix a truck's issues?
The last place we camped we had 2 30’ AS beside us. Each had a 3/4 ton. Both had either Propride or Hensley. I have a Propride. They had absolutely no sway issues, and they pulled quite a bit. One will still have sway with an F250. Watch the gauntlet tests on YouTube and from time to time they have to adjust for sway even on an 3/4 ton. I do think one just doesn’t feel the sway as much in an F250 because of the suspension. But I don’t see how a bigger truck is going to stop trailer sway. It may make it less noticeable. But it won’t stop it.

Also on one trip this past year I forgot my adjustment wrench on the back bumper of my F150. When I got home after a 4 hour drive it was still there. That shows how even and stable my Propride hitch was. And we were on some bumpy roads for awhile.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
It seems that no one has picked up on your P rated tires comment. Please consider LT tires. The sidewalls are MUCH stiffer, and pressures are higher. This will make a considerable difference, all other things being equal. Lots of good advice in this thread, but LT tires would be my FIRST change.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
It seems that no one has picked up on your P rated tires comment. Please consider LT tires. The sidewalls are MUCH stiffer, and pressures are higher. This will make a considerable difference, all other things being equal. Lots of good advice in this thread, but LT tires would be my FIRST change.
Two things: better shocks and LT tires are helpful. But again it doesn’t prevent sway. It simply makes the truck more stable so that when there is sway it becomes less noticeable. One thing I do is put a bit more air pressure in my tires; maybe 5 or 10 lbs.

Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote