Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
In terms of planning, knowing which direction the wind will be blowing and going with the flow is the best technique as far as I know, but of course this requires a lot of flexibility in your travel plans. Still I try to do just that when I can. Wind can be a real mileage killer when its out of the wrong direction. That's the primary reason I use an anemometer. I can always justify getting somewhere a little later if it means saving big bucks in gas. When without my weather tools, I look to flagpoles for an indication.

One of the nice things about my travel box is I can position it further back to close the gap somewhat, but I prefer to keep the front snug to reduce turbulence up front.

Thanks for all the background info!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
You're welcome. Context is all when it comes to how to use dollars to best effect.

Note here in this GM press release how the wind goes over the truck bed. "Fill in" the area under that curve for best mpg. (See also "Aerolid" for images).

While I wouldn't plan for winds, per se (our rigs are already good), it is more a matter of using the biggest road for the longest period of time even when distance is slightly more (say up to 30-miles), or, where avoiding stop-n-go is preferred (alternate routes to major metro areas; in this case time of day is worth consideration. Consider the radius to extend 100-miles in all directions as truck distribution from the center, not just commuters, is part of the traffic build-up).

And I'm glad you mentioned that wind speed device again as I meant to ask about it. I've wanted one, but am stymied by where to mount the probe on a vehicle (other than an airplane). Could you give details? Andy Inland RV used an airspeed indicator in his travels and record speed attempts more than forty years ago (search).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
What's the real number here?

More perhaps fuzzy math.

The trailer has a GVW of 7,300 pounds. The Shureline scales reflect 1,200 pounds tongue weight (includes the Hensley hitch head but not the stinger). So that would mean that the axles are supporting 6,100 pounds when unhitched from the truck when fully loaded, right?

When connected to the truck and loaded for our last trip, CAT scales reflected 5,880 pounds on the trailer axles. So, if I subtract 5,880 from 7,300 that leaves 1,420 pounds. Then deduct the 1,200 pound tongue weight. Would that calculation mean there was about 220 pounds of available load that could be added to the trailer?

If the 1/3 of the tongue weight when hitched to the trailer and 2/3 to the truck ratio is true, then the 5,880 CAT weight would include 400 pounds of the tongue weight and one could carry an additional 800 pounds in the trailer?

I miss a turn on the race course here. Anyone with any ideas?

I think I might acquire an eight pad portable scale to discover these actual weights as well as the left right balance. I am sure others would appreciate the opportunity to discover what is actually happening to their rig rather than blindly assuming all is well.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Switz,

A multiple run CAT scale procedure, plus the Sureline tongue weight has served me well over the years.

The Sureline gave me an accurate tongue weight for a loaded for camping trailer.
The no WD weight gave me the trailer axle weights, and the baseline unloaded TV front axle weight.
The max WD weight gave me the maximum transfer weight to the front TV axle.
Several WD adjusted weights gave me the correct settings for towing, and the loaded TV axle weights.
I base my TV/AS payload on the axle and tire ratings, not the stated factory numbers.

Our Classic has two 3500lb axles with a GVWR of 7300lbs so I'm very conscious of trailer weight, very little wiggle room their….like none, my balanced loaded trailer axle weight is 7640lbs, 340lbs over the axle rating.

BTW Airstream has seen fit to equip some of the newer units with axles of higher ratings for improved CCC. YMMV....Check to be sure.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB Int'l Serenity came with two 3,600 pound rated axles (7,200 pounds for both) with a 7,300 pound GVW. The 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires are rated 3,970 pounds per axle for two of them. So the axles are the limiting load factor for the suspension.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Our 2013 25FB Int'l Serenity came with two 3,600 pound rated axles (7,200 pounds for both) with a 7,300 pound GVW. The 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires are rated 3,970 pounds per axle for two of them. So the axles are the limiting load factor for the suspension.
Two 3600 pounders, I really thought they did better, but at least it's an improvement.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In todays [weird] parlance, in order to drill down on the WD "spread" one would want to see the individual wheel position weights both before and after WD is applied. Start with the TV solo. Then the rig as a whole, both before and after per position. Axle loads work well enough, but tire load aganst pressure (internal, AND externally-imposed) is what, ultimately, what we are concerned with.

See the tire professionals RMA Guide, Ch. 4 "Weighing RV's" shows how to do this (link in posts by tire engineer, CapriRacer).

I've disconnected the TT more than once on the scales in order to "see TW" as represented by the tongue jack (mid-day -- early afternoon -- is usually not busy at truckstops outside of those buying lunch; a truckstop away from metro areas) even though one must account for the distance between ball receiver and the jack position. The math is around here somewhere (or on RV.net in the "Towing" subforum). Ron Gratz posts.

How the hitch weight/length increases fit in should be obvious with this approach if one does an A-B comparison between types or none at all versus a particular type.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote