Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Hensley Hitch and a 34' 2001 Excella & F350

I am considering a tour N Am trip with my 2002 F350 and 34' Excella. Would it be an advantage to buy a Hensley hitch? I would like to reduce my turning radius and not have to adjust my hitch to back up. Sway is not a problem. I would like to hear from Hensley Hitch users if they think this hitch will help me.

Thanks!

Jim
jim.bailey@e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi jim

reduce the turning radius?

it would seem that's mostly a function of the truck, so get a newer ford, which have MUCH better turning specs.

having a LONGER shank made would move the rig back some and allow for tighter turns,

but that's NOT an ideal solution, since it reduces the specs and adds to yaw...

the haha can be backed/turned at almost a right angle, and there is NO need to re-adjust for backing...

almost everything ya wanna know about the ugly orange box is here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

or go to the hitch section here....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/

and hit the 'replies or views' button which will rank ALL of the hitch theads by volume, then read away...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Jim: It would be helpful to know what kind of hitch you currently use. The Hensley will not reduce turning radius much. The trailer wheels will track a bit closer to the wheels of the TV but don't count on the Hensley making a huge difference in turning radius. Pullright hitches do reduce turn radius. With the triple axle, I would not care to turn much sharper than I can now with the Hensley because of the pressure it puts on the tires/wheels. As far as backing up with the Hensley, I never have to make any adjustments to back up. Do a search here for ultimate-haha-users for more info.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It has been pointed out by the knowledgeable that sway is already present whether the driver feels it or not. One common misconception is that "a big enough tow vehicle" renders one immune to sway, and that a dual rear wheel truck is the ultimate answer. It isn't, and they aren't . . . .

I have the Hensley on a straight-axle trailer being pulled by a truck that weighs nearly as much or more than the trailer. I saw no reason NOT to have the H/A. A trailer with no "evident" sway unless I tried to induce it.

And I have seen plenty of trailers already yawing -- their drivers unaware -- or leaning, or pitching or whatever. Do the best you can by the handling characteristics of the TV (anti-roll bars, better shocks and bushings, etc), get the best hitch and pay attention to the trailers wheel alignment, wheel balance, etc.

Road conditions, weather, driver inattention -- all that -- is the stuff that can be tough to navigate. Deal yourself the best hand possible before you pull out.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry, forgot to add that I am in all ways pleased with the HA. My rig is a little over 63' nose-to-tail, and I have been able to make very tight u-turns on a couple of occasions that would not have been possible on a conventional hitch without disabling the anti-sway, and then re-enabling it afterwards.

As to tight backing, my trailer is in a storage yard with covered sheds. I had to manuever it tightly into a stall with a post on one side and a big moho on the other. With a spotter it was no real problem.

Getting lined up in the drive, is, as always, the problem. It took me about three tries (I have a VERRRY long truck axle to trailer axle length), but I was no worse here than with the tractor-trailer rigs I once drove (Now THAT is some axle-to-axle distance!).

No, I noticed nothing about backing that told me I had a Hensley except that I didn't have to disable anything prior to backing. Perhaps there are some situations that are that tight, I just haven't gotten to them yet.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Thank You All!

Your info RE: HA hitch & similar TV's & 34' AS was very helpful. Betty & I,before we set out will buy a HA.
jim.bailey@e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Having pulled my 34 for over 120,000 miles around north America without a HA HA. I would save the money and use it for the fuel.

If a hitch is set up correctly, and I suspect your is not if you mention having to adjust the hitch to back up, a 350 will not even know the trailer is back there. If you now have a friction sway control get rid of it and install a dual cam system. If you have it installed do a search here and read up on adjusting the hitch and then try find someone who knows how to do it right, most dealers have no idea.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote