Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hensley works like a charm, I couldn't imagine a more relaxed towing experience. The only (Minor) downside aspects I found were:

(a) factory recommendation to grease the spring bars every 500 miles - not sure how important it is, but I have tried to follow that recommendation and recently when I repainted the hitch and pulled out the bushings that the spring bars go into, found virtually no wear, so I guess it does help! (36,000 miles on the hitch)

(b) I think we have now developed a method that works for us to get it hitched up on the first attempt - but when we first got the hitch we did have a few frustrations at times!

Also on one instance we were able to unhook! The site was such that the trailer was level but the truck was quite nose up and no matter what I did with the tongue jack, I could not manage to disengage the truck. (The access road was quite a bit higher than the site pad.)

I suspect that if I had put the trailer tires up on our Lynx Levellers that might have done the trick, but we just changed site rather than mess with it.

I don't have any experience with the Pro Pride, but I gather it works on the same principle as the Hensley. I believe it is a little less expensive.

I would have considered it when looking to purchase, but at that time it was brand new on the market and I preferred not to take the chance. Several years later folks seem quite happy with it !

Brian.

PS - having either hitch installed on your trailer could be a minor issue if someone else ever needs to move it and does not have a matching stinger.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've never heard any negatives on the Hensley Hitch system although many back away because of the cost, myself included.

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I don't have solid experimental data, but the ProPride design appears easier to hitch and unhitch. I've had no issues even at extreme angles of TV approach, hard turn then unhitch at darn near 90 degrees and hook up later, etc. I'm very happy with my ProPride.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I don't have solid experimental data, but the ProPride design appears easier to hitch and unhitch. I've had no issues even at extreme angles of TV approach, hard turn then unhitch at darn near 90 degrees and hook up later, etc. I'm very happy with my ProPride.

I don't have any problems with haha either. They're both all about matching heights and angles and predicting how they change during approach on uneven ground.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Exactly. Line it up right, and no issues. The only real difference is a bigger wider taper to the ProPride stinger contact area.

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have used all three, in face I still own all three (long story for another day)...
Our F-150 has a backup camera so we have an advantage but I have not found a difference hooking up the Hensley vs the ProPride. The really big difference is in unhooking! The ProPride is very difficult to get the hitch bar from the hitch whereas the Hensley just unhooks. In retrospect, the Equalizer was simply not in the same league as the others. The difference is remarkable.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think the stickiness is because the PP stinger ramps go all the way to the corners and the haha are shorter block ramps. I never had sticking until I got Sean's adjustable stinger for haha. I just apply dry lube every couple months. The PP design is better, as you don't get distortion of the box opening like you do with haha stinger.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
The angle at which I can hitch and unhitch is somewhat restricted (+/- 30 degrees or so) in my PP setup due to not being able to raise the jack foot and have the foot clear the WD bars, even with the WD bars swinging freely. Someday I'll figure out how to remove the jack foot so this is not an issue.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink The PP's cost too much.....

We buy the most expensive trailer then......Rationalize $2%.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We are using the Hensley on the 23D and the stinger was both bent and shortened for the Mercedes when we got the 25FB. We have no bump when braking. It likes frequent applications of grease.

The ProPride is installed on the Classic and the Dodge 2500HD Cummins pickup. Occasionally, I get the bump. I have to check the centering more often with the ProPride.

The ProPride was less expensive than the Hensley that was purchased two years earlier. The ProPride is more user friendly. But the Hensley does the job well on the 23D.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my take.

If I never towed above 60MPH, I would not need sway control, and any hitch would do for me including towing on the ball.

Well, that isn't realistic for me. The Hensley totally changes how the trailer tows, making my combination a joy to drive.

I highly recommend this design hitch. I bought mine used for about $1,100, but after using it, I would pay full price for either the Hensley or the ProPride.

My used unit seems to be older, with a serial number in the five thousands, it is still in great shape, all I have had to replace is the weight bar end brackets, a cheap and easy fix.

A couple of weeks ago I took it down, inspected it, and popped the caps that cover the bearings, it is still tip top.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I found mine in 2012 or 13 for $800. It is also an early one and serial number was missing...but it didn't have a lot of miles nor wear on it. I completely disassembled, sandblasted, painted (frame color), replaced some bits and pieces, repacked, got a PP for HAHA adjustable stinger, and I love it. That said, I'd opt for a PP when/if I have to replace it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...gue-95502.html

Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
About porpoising, the setup will do this if the WD bars are too TIGHT also.

It seems that there is a natural desire to tighten those bars down tight to totally restore the tow vehicles attitude, but for me, ride and control is better when I resist the temptation and leave a little more tongue weight on the truck than is commonly recommended on this forum and others.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The "Goldilocks Zone" is important and is unique to each setup, TV, trailer, and TV load...IME and O.