Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hensley Adjustable stinger hand raisers?

Sean has indicated that if he can get a minimum of 10 interested Hensley owners who would like to have an adjustable stinger (like the PP has), he would make them up for around $225 (est.) each.

If you are interested, post here and PM me with your information. I'd be happy to compile and contact Sean.

BTW, I have no affiliation with PP, nor am I acting in any kind of commercial or agency relationship with PP. I just REALLY want an adjustable stinger and don't want to trust a local welder to be an engineer for me....so it will take 10 of us for me to get what I want!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The adjustable stinger is quite heavy, but I would have been in trouble if I had to depend on the published A/S hitch height and my measurement of my receiver to the ground. The first thing I had to do was to raise the stinger to get the trailer level.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
I am definitely in. Hopefully, we can get enough takers so Sean will build them for us. Keep me posted.
Rudy
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bumping this to keep it out in front of folks.....sorry....I'll probably do it several times to try and get 10 people.

If you have a Hensley and use multiple TVs, or more importantly with the tilt feature, if you need to take up the clearances in the receiver to stinger interface (especially with a 2 1/2" receiver with an adapter), this is the ticket.

Anybody have ideas where I might find interested folks outside the AS Forum community. I searched at RV.net and didn't find a lot of Hensley stinger posts?????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am willing to join in. My current one works fine, but am considering a different TV in the future where the straight one would probably not be viable. Send me a PM for my details.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
It might be helpful to know the range of adjustment that the hitch Sean is talking about will accommodate - in my own case I needed a 10" drop - this required fabrication of an expensive custom stinger - but it is also my understanding that I am not alone - that several newer model SUV's also need a 10" drop (Hensley only produces up to an 8" drop in 2" increments).

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In a PM, Sean told me that it was capable of an 8.5" drop in 1.5" increments. What stock SUV requires 10"? I thought the GM SUVs were "worst case scenario". I drive them and they require an 8" drop....maybe a bit more...but certainly 8.5" would do it.

BTW, my attempt to get some hand raisers at the RV.net forum failed. I was given the "boot" by the mods for advertising! then then

Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
Lafayette , Louisiana
adj stinger

I could use one. Have a hensley hitch that have not been able to use because it came with the wrong stinger for my rig.
srmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So we have 4!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Just FYI -

The ProPride hitch bar weighs 48#.

The Arrow bar will be a bit heavier due to the longer bar that inserts into the hitch head.

I have made some bars for Airstream owners that have up to a 14" drop. They are quite a bit heavier due to the adjustable upright being made from 2.5"x2" stock rather than the 2"x2"
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bump again....anyone else interested?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
It might be helpful to know the range of adjustment that the hitch Sean is talking about will accommodate - in my own case I needed a 10" drop - this required fabrication of an expensive custom stinger - but it is also my understanding that I am not alone - that several newer model SUV's also need a 10" drop (Hensley only produces up to an 8" drop in 2" increments).
Am I missing something here? What SUV needs a 10" drop unless it's running 35" + tires? My Touareg and F150 share the same 2" drop stinger, even tho the truck sits much higher, it has more squat.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm interested.

I'm about to send my HA stinger back, again, because it's never on the money (too high or too low): New hitch receiver at a different height. Heavier permanent load in truck, which may mean new spring pack. Different TT than I started with and another next year. Plus, anticipated changes to tires/wheels and suspension. Etc.

I really don't want to keep exchanging.

This is up/down only, correct. No (desired) tilt?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
This is up/down only, correct. No (desired) tilt?
My PPP stinger has adjustable tilt. I expect one for the Hensley would be the same design except for the part that extends into the hitch itself.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My PPP stinger has adjustable tilt. I expect one for the Hensley would be the same design except for the part that extends into the hitch itself.
It'd breathe life into an antiquated design (is a certainty). To my great regret the PP came out just a few months after I'd purchased an H/A.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
John is correct - the receiver end of the hitch bar would be exactly like the ProPride hitch bar.

Keep in mind that if you use "tilt" with the Arrow it is going to be more difficult to hitch up. It isn't as much of an issue with the ProPride hitch because we have redesigned the hitch box. The box has a wider opening, more angle, and is not as deep as the Arrow box. The Arrow bar, being longer, will have MORE drop/tilt away from parallel than the ProPride hitch will have. Not a lot, but more.

That said, it can be done... you'll just have to get the angles correct.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Noted. And appreciated. That word shall have new emphasis, I'm sure, on a hot, humid, still day when backing to hitch.

Sign me up.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
For any doubters I had to use the full amount of drop on the PP and it still needs to drop another inch. My QX56 is way high....but I'm going to get the height addressed when I put 16" rubber on the AS.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
I know I am probably the only one on the planet that doesn't already understand this....but, why is the tilt needed. You can adjust the tilt of the hitch head by adjusting the spring bars to accomodate the needed tilt of the stinger. Is it just so the tilt can be more perfect with an adjustable stinger BEFORE having to make any small tweaks with the spring bars? Either way, I am IN to purchase one of these from PP. I am ready to get going!
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
I know I am probably the only one on the planet that doesn't already understand this....but, why is the tilt needed. You can adjust the tilt of the hitch head by adjusting the spring bars to accomodate the needed tilt of the stinger. Is it just so the tilt can be more perfect with an adjustable stinger BEFORE having to make any small tweaks with the spring bars? Either way, I am IN to purchase one of these from PP. I am ready to get going!
Many times the receiver on a truck especially is at an angle to the graound when unloaded/unhitched.

I adjust mine so it is level with the ground when not attached to the trailer. This makes the insertion and removal when hitching/unhitching a little easier.