Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Tilt" is about leverage on the TV. My truck has a 163" WB and with the H/A setup I've not been able to get the FA restored to the unhitched/laden weight scale value. In fact, little to no "weight distribution" across all three axle sets.

While an H/A or PP is not dependent on TW to activate sway control (as are nearly every other type [design or brand] of WDH), anti-sway is the second reason for a WDH. The first is in distributing the TW so that the TV will continue to steer/brake/handle per it's OEM design.

Proper weight distribution may or may not need a "tilt" adjustment in play depending on several specifics of the TV-TT combination. And then, it may.

Every rig will be different in this . . but it is part of setting up a WDH correctly.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That's 5. Any More??????

Yes Rednax, ESPECIALLY with a 2.5" receiver where you have an adapter fir the 2" stinger, you have a lot of slop which results in the upward tilt of the HAHA end of the stinger and forward (down tilt) of the HAHA head. makes it difficult to get the correct tension and geometry of the whole jack/spring bar setup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I own a Hensley Cub, but haven't set it up for use yet. Just out of curiosity (and with no interest in stirring up trouble) does the Hensley warranty provide for using aftermarket stingers from another company (i.e. the one we're discussing here)? Or could this potentially void its warranty?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can't see how They could, unless they could show direct cause.....that's the way it is in my business. I don't have a warranty, as mine was used and the Serial #sticker is gone and unknown.

And BTW, using the Hensley fixed setting stingers in a 2.5" receiver with an adapter likely puts much more of a strain on the system than an adjustable stinger set up properly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
CanAm modified my straight Hensley stinger with a slight downward bend and shortened the TV receiver end of the bar about 4" (also drilled the locking pin hole in a new location) to bring the trailer hitch nearly 4" closer to my TV. Their rationale for the slight downward tilt was to preload the bars so there is less slop before the cranking to raise the bars gets results. The orange part of the Hensley is now so close I use a metric crescent wrench for the spring lock bars as the original Hensley wrench can not fit onto the nut due the TV bumper being in the way.

Towed fine bringing unit home from the dealership.

There may be a different TV in a year or so, so an adjustable unit would be the answer for vertical adjustments.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
CanAm modified my straight Hensley stinger with a slight downward bend and shortened the TV receiver end of the bar about 4" (also drilled the locking pin hole in a new location) to bring the trailer hitch nearly 4" closer to my TV. Their rationale for the slight downward tilt was to preload the bars so there is less slop before the cranking to raise the bars gets results. The orange part of the Hensley is now so close I use a metric crescent wrench for the spring lock bars as the original Hensley wrench can not fit onto the nut due the TV bumper being in the way.

Towed fine bringing unit home from the dealership.

There may be a different TV in a year or so, so an adjustable unit would be the answer for vertical adjustments.
switz, unless I missed it, some photos of your hitch rigging highlighting these changes would be greatly appreciated. CAN AM is farther away than I can likely travel the next few years, but I'd sure like to contemplate the changes made on your behalf.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Sean has indicated that if he can get a minimum of 10 interested Hensley owners who would like to have an adjustable stinger (like the PP has), he would make them up for around $225 (est.) each.

If you are interested, post here and PM me with your information. I'd be happy to compile and contact Sean.

BTW, I have no affiliation with PP, nor am I acting in any kind of commercial or agency relationship with PP. I just REALLY want an adjustable stinger and don't want to trust a local welder to be an engineer for me....so it will take 10 of us for me to get what I want!
My thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I may need to travel in the very near future to purchase another TT . . and, as it may be one of several brands from over a few decades, having an adjustable stinger is dead-on-the-money as all sorts of TT hitch ball heights might be possible. Also, my TV is likely to undergo some modifications during calendar 2013 so "changes" to both vehicles would make constant hitch exchange a real burden. Living on the hurricane coast means constantly being ready to travel.

A cheaper alternative WDH I considered purchasing doesn't look viable. So for half that cost, roughly, modifying the H/A is the more sensible choice. That it may also wind up improving the performance of the hitch makes the whole thing look great.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Or, you could sell the Hensley and buy a ProPride which comes with the adjustable stinger.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Or, you could sell the Hensley and buy a ProPride which comes with the adjustable stinger.

$$$$$$....if there is ever a need to buy a new hitch, I will definitely get a Propride, but there is nothing wrong right now which a $~225 stinger won't fix.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #30
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Oh, I don't think the adjusting stinger will make an H/A into a PP . . but it'll get me down the road properly. I need a new TT first, SteveH

Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Here is another neat little trick you can do with your adjustable stinger - add mudflaps that are quickly removable.
I adjusted the stinger to be close to level when without the trailer. This seems to make hooking up easier.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sean now has the HAHA Adjustable stinger up on his website ready for delivery. He made up only 10 pieces to test the market...and I know 4 are spoken for.

I ordered mine yesterday about 1PM, and true to Sean's service, it was with UPS by 3PM.

Look under "Hitches" or the new products sidebar on the home page if you're interested.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After the suspension work on the TV, I found the Hensley 2" drop worked for me and both vehicles are level. The adjustable unit would not have lined up as well due to the hole spacing for the "adjustable" feature.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ordered mine today.

And, since the post above, have a new TT, a 35' 1990 SILVER STREAK.

Haven't measured yet, but the combined rig is likely to be right against the 65' Texas RV length limit. This hitch type makes for much easier TT steering control when it is so easy to otherwise accidentally twitch that tail -- so very far back there -- across a lane stripe.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Finally got to the mail center to pick mine up yesterday (box arrived over a week ago). Ship weight was 58#. Packaging was stout, near ideal: nothing loose whatsoever. Welds and paint all look very good. Fasteners all in heavy plastic bag with packing list.

I haven't decided when to take the TT the 20-miles over to the CAT Scale at Robstown, TX as TT tires/wheels and/or truck hitch receiver may change as well as truck suspension. I do need to get the thing roughed in pretty well what with hurricane season on the way. So, sometime in the next 60-90 days. Trailer suspension changes, if done, would be done later. So I expect to have a permanent-for-the-interim ball height and hitch receiver height.

I guess one of us (at least) needs to find the weight increase over the HA stinger. And length increase. I'm guessing I'm pushing hard on the Texas RV length limit of 65' already. The gap between TV tailgate and TT front wall was at 60" until the latest hitch receiver was installed.

Once I have changes to TT & TV done (a year or more off) then I may have an HA stinger modified for a lighter package. This new assembly is now a permanent part of the H/A. Guess I'll have to build a crate to hold the entirety of the HA for the truck bed cause the plastic tub ain't a gettin' it no more.

I'll be ordering a SHERLINE weight gauge soon as part of the TT WD setup.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't really have any horse in this race as the stinger I have matches my truck well, and as long as I have the AS, I will likely have a similar sized truck.

However, for what it is worth I just got a newsletter from Hensley warning against
adjustable hitches. Do not provide the requires safety factor they sy.

Could be just hype for what they sell .... or maybe not! I don't know. I did contact Hensley a year or two back on this issue (before I exchanged the one I had on my smaller TV) and asked why they did not make an adjustable stinger. At that time they told me they had looked at the idea but rejected it from a safety factor standpoint.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice I guess!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
From everything I've read and people I've talked to, I'm not interested in an adjustable stinger. Just sayin'.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
However, for what it is worth I just got a newsletter from Hensley warning against
adjustable hitches. Do not provide the requires safety factor they sy.
Brian.
I would expect nothing less from Hensley.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
I would expect nothing less from Hensley.

Well, As I say, not taking sides, just don't know (despite being a retired Mech eng. - no inclination to get the text books again out at this point and try to figure it out!)

I admit I would be tempted to switch to adjustable if I needed a different height, but then, I would also have some concern about the advice given by the hitch manufacturer.

Life is never black and white is it!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ya know, I promised myself I'd stay out of this discussion...but I can't. I actually have a dog in both hunts, as I have a HAHA and a PP adjustable stinger. I also got the HAHA newsletter and several thing strike me on this subject.

1) The timing of the adjustable stinger article. It is also on HAHAs website, but I don't know for how long.

2) The public "discussion" between the two companies is well known and ongoing, and actually (for me) distasteful.

3) I find the claims in the HAHA stance concerning adjustable stingers questionable. for the following reasons:
A) The HAHA drop stinger is three 2" bars welded together and reinforced with two 1/4" side plates welded on. The PP drop adjustable stinger is two 2" bars welded together and the vertical bar is sandwiched between two 1/2" (twice as thick) side plates; clamped together with three grade eight 5/8" bolts. I question if there is any appreciable difference in strength which would have any bearing within the normal operating parameters of either hitch setup.
B) Many hitch manufacturers have been using adjustable heads to drawbar setups for years with, and without, sway control.

One of the arguments presented is that because with a PPP hitch, the trailer can't "bend" the rig around the ball (pivot) in a side wind scenario for example. The position taken by HAHA is that a side wind causes so much more stress, laterally, on the stinger that an adjustable stinger would fail. I find this to be BUNK. The lateral forces in a side wind are the same for all sway control hitches. I NEVER had my Reese dual cam ever pop off center due to any side wind....therefore my Reese (bolted together) head and drawbar were taking the twisting effort of the wind blown trailer just fine. (The calculated forces relative to windspeed and side area are interesting, but of little real world use, as the tire sidewalls take the vast majority of the applied wind force...unless you are on ice). When was the last time you looked in your rearview mirror and saw a really dog legged TT/TV setup with a good sway controlled setup? If you have.....should you have really been on the road?

Now if the trailer was broadsided by another vehicle, I can see a PPP hitch taking A LOT of side force on the stinger.....but is welded better than 3 grade 8s with larger side plates? I don't know. But I do know, if this happens, I got much bigger worries than if my stinger bends or breaks.

What say you all?