Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My PPP stinger has adjustable tilt. I expect one for the Hensley would be the same design except for the part that extends into the hitch itself.
It'd breathe life into an antiquated design (is a certainty). To my great regret the PP came out just a few months after I'd purchased an H/A.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
John is correct - the receiver end of the hitch bar would be exactly like the ProPride hitch bar.

Keep in mind that if you use "tilt" with the Arrow it is going to be more difficult to hitch up. It isn't as much of an issue with the ProPride hitch because we have redesigned the hitch box. The box has a wider opening, more angle, and is not as deep as the Arrow box. The Arrow bar, being longer, will have MORE drop/tilt away from parallel than the ProPride hitch will have. Not a lot, but more.

That said, it can be done... you'll just have to get the angles correct.

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Noted. And appreciated. That word shall have new emphasis, I'm sure, on a hot, humid, still day when backing to hitch.

Sign me up.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
For any doubters I had to use the full amount of drop on the PP and it still needs to drop another inch. My QX56 is way high....but I'm going to get the height addressed when I put 16" rubber on the AS.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1998 30' Limited
garden Ridge , Texas
I know I am probably the only one on the planet that doesn't already understand this....but, why is the tilt needed. You can adjust the tilt of the hitch head by adjusting the spring bars to accomodate the needed tilt of the stinger. Is it just so the tilt can be more perfect with an adjustable stinger BEFORE having to make any small tweaks with the spring bars? Either way, I am IN to purchase one of these from PP. I am ready to get going!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
I know I am probably the only one on the planet that doesn't already understand this....but, why is the tilt needed. You can adjust the tilt of the hitch head by adjusting the spring bars to accomodate the needed tilt of the stinger. Is it just so the tilt can be more perfect with an adjustable stinger BEFORE having to make any small tweaks with the spring bars? Either way, I am IN to purchase one of these from PP. I am ready to get going!
Many times the receiver on a truck especially is at an angle to the graound when unloaded/unhitched.

I adjust mine so it is level with the ground when not attached to the trailer. This makes the insertion and removal when hitching/unhitching a little easier.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
"Tilt" is about leverage on the TV. My truck has a 163" WB and with the H/A setup I've not been able to get the FA restored to the unhitched/laden weight scale value. In fact, little to no "weight distribution" across all three axle sets.

While an H/A or PP is not dependent on TW to activate sway control (as are nearly every other type [design or brand] of WDH), anti-sway is the second reason for a WDH. The first is in distributing the TW so that the TV will continue to steer/brake/handle per it's OEM design.

Proper weight distribution may or may not need a "tilt" adjustment in play depending on several specifics of the TV-TT combination. And then, it may.

Every rig will be different in this . . but it is part of setting up a WDH correctly.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
That's 5. Any More??????

Yes Rednax, ESPECIALLY with a 2.5" receiver where you have an adapter fir the 2" stinger, you have a lot of slop which results in the upward tilt of the HAHA end of the stinger and forward (down tilt) of the HAHA head. makes it difficult to get the correct tension and geometry of the whole jack/spring bar setup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I own a Hensley Cub, but haven't set it up for use yet. Just out of curiosity (and with no interest in stirring up trouble) does the Hensley warranty provide for using aftermarket stingers from another company (i.e. the one we're discussing here)? Or could this potentially void its warranty?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I can't see how They could, unless they could show direct cause.....that's the way it is in my business. I don't have a warranty, as mine was used and the Serial #sticker is gone and unknown.

And BTW, using the Hensley fixed setting stingers in a 2.5" receiver with an adapter likely puts much more of a strain on the system than an adjustable stinger set up properly.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
CanAm modified my straight Hensley stinger with a slight downward bend and shortened the TV receiver end of the bar about 4" (also drilled the locking pin hole in a new location) to bring the trailer hitch nearly 4" closer to my TV. Their rationale for the slight downward tilt was to preload the bars so there is less slop before the cranking to raise the bars gets results. The orange part of the Hensley is now so close I use a metric crescent wrench for the spring lock bars as the original Hensley wrench can not fit onto the nut due the TV bumper being in the way.

Towed fine bringing unit home from the dealership.

There may be a different TV in a year or so, so an adjustable unit would be the answer for vertical adjustments.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
CanAm modified my straight Hensley stinger with a slight downward bend and shortened the TV receiver end of the bar about 4" (also drilled the locking pin hole in a new location) to bring the trailer hitch nearly 4" closer to my TV. Their rationale for the slight downward tilt was to preload the bars so there is less slop before the cranking to raise the bars gets results. The orange part of the Hensley is now so close I use a metric crescent wrench for the spring lock bars as the original Hensley wrench can not fit onto the nut due the TV bumper being in the way.

Towed fine bringing unit home from the dealership.

There may be a different TV in a year or so, so an adjustable unit would be the answer for vertical adjustments.
switz, unless I missed it, some photos of your hitch rigging highlighting these changes would be greatly appreciated. CAN AM is farther away than I can likely travel the next few years, but I'd sure like to contemplate the changes made on your behalf.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Sean has indicated that if he can get a minimum of 10 interested Hensley owners who would like to have an adjustable stinger (like the PP has), he would make them up for around $225 (est.) each.

If you are interested, post here and PM me with your information. I'd be happy to compile and contact Sean.

BTW, I have no affiliation with PP, nor am I acting in any kind of commercial or agency relationship with PP. I just REALLY want an adjustable stinger and don't want to trust a local welder to be an engineer for me....so it will take 10 of us for me to get what I want!
My thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I may need to travel in the very near future to purchase another TT . . and, as it may be one of several brands from over a few decades, having an adjustable stinger is dead-on-the-money as all sorts of TT hitch ball heights might be possible. Also, my TV is likely to undergo some modifications during calendar 2013 so "changes" to both vehicles would make constant hitch exchange a real burden. Living on the hurricane coast means constantly being ready to travel.

A cheaper alternative WDH I considered purchasing doesn't look viable. So for half that cost, roughly, modifying the H/A is the more sensible choice. That it may also wind up improving the performance of the hitch makes the whole thing look great.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Or, you could sell the Hensley and buy a ProPride which comes with the adjustable stinger.