Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Missoula , Montana
Help Please: Motorcycle

So, first, I appreciate any and all feedback, so please fire away.

I am about to purchase an AS. It will be either a 26RB Flying Cloud or a 25ft Globetrotter(personally think the inside decor is amazing vs the FC).

I am also planning on purchasing a used Nissan NV Cargo van. The low roof does not have enough inside clearance for my Triumph XCX. need 64 inches. SO........even though I prefer the low roof, I think I am sticking with the high roof-not a bad option as they are sold via fleet/commercial and the deals are way better. Tow rating of 9300lbs.

IF there are any suggestions-and I have read a few but not all posts regarding this. My bike is 480lbs. I was "hoping" there might be an external lift I can attach but it appears like a no go. If anyone has a different idea and experience-that includes images-I would really appreciate ideas.

If not, I will go with a high roof. The van its self is only going to be a rolling gear and clothes locker. Haul my Tiger, Mtn Bike, road bike, clothes and pretty much everything I can not put inside the trailer.

I am going to purchase the AS, sell off all my things and home, possibly rent or buy a piece of dirt in MT, work and save for the next year. After that, I plan on traveling for 7-10 years. Mostly Stae and National parks. Follow the sun!

Cheers and Happy Trails, John

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

ZooTownJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I carry a smaller motorcycle on the back of my 310TD Motorhome but it is a ramp type where I push it up to the carrier. In researching options, Ive seen many many exterior lifts, both electric and I think hydraulic. Is it the van that's the problem or are you not having any luck finding lifts.

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
If you are asking about mounting a motorcycle to the bumper of an AS, its not designed for that kind of weight, No.

You'd break it.

irc.usairc.org
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Motorcycle in NV van

Will work great. Met a guy last year in Florida that tows a 25' AS and hauls a BMW GS1200 in a Nissan high top van. Plenty of power and cargo capacity with the NV3500 cargo van. Enjoy!!! The Nissan vans received a major horsepower boost beginning with 2017 model year. You want a 2017 or newer. The 5.6 V-8 is rated at around 380 HP + or -.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Check out the Rampage Motorcycle loader.
I haven't seen one in person, but it looks to be one solution.
It requires 8' of room in the van.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Check out the Rampage Motorcycle loader.
I haven't seen one in person, but it looks to be one solution.
It requires 8' of room in the van.
These are neat but designed for towing companies that specialize in motorcycle towing.

As you can see in that truck you cant close the tailgate anymore. Most of time, you couldn't tow a trailer with that tailgate down, including an AS.

irc.usairc.org
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
Those motorcycle loaders add a lot of weight. I just use an aluminum dirt bike ramp for my 1190R. Used it for my 1200GSA too. I would look around for ditches or loading docks to help me out.
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Peyton , Colorado
We are looking to do the same (we've decided on a FC 27FB Twin; husband is still deciding if he wants to stick with his Harley (about 800lbs) or get something lighter).
We test drove a Nissan 3500NV hightop last week and, well, we weren't impressed as much as we'd hoped. It has the turning radius of a barge, and we'd prefer diesel, and we'd want the 4x4 after-market conversion. We're back to looking at trucks with a custom topper.
He also hasn't decided if he's going to put a lift in the truck or just use a ramp. So far, in our little side-load toy hauler, he's just used the ramp, which has worked okay in most places.

SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote