Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
If the opener is the only concern, don't get a standard version. I bought a Wayne Dalton i-drive last year when we replaced our garage door, and it's really impressive. I don't have the same issue, I just liked that it doesn't protrude into the garage. It mounts on the header wall above the opening.

idrive™ Wall Mount Garage Door Openers

Roger
I like that system. It's probably on many "upscale" garages I bet. The only problem might be it is limited to 8' doors according to the FAQs section at their website.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Why fool with an opener at all?

Why not get rid of the auto opener altogether? You're not going to be pulling the Stream in and out every day. Just manually open and close the door. I have some really nice Hoermann garage doors with the torsion spring. I play to get openers eventually, but right now just open and close them manually. You can get a manual lock for it. No sweat.

Problem solved, and you did it for free. Sounds like a win-win.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I have a steep driveway with a big hump in the middle. When backing in from the alley, I find it necessary to loosen the load leveling hitch bars by one link. For my situation, it gives enough lift for the hitch to not bottom out, and enough flex for the hitch to back around a right angle from the alley. It's no fun after a long drive home, but well worth being able to store the trailer at home.

I would suggest experimenting backing in with some patience, blocks of wood and understaning friends / family to help. Leave the garage door off until you back the trailer in to the garage a few times, that will tell you what kind of door to pursue. One more suggestion, use 4 low on the transfer case if available. That allows me to creap up the driveway an inch at a time when necessary.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Why not get rid of the auto opener altogether? You're not going to be pulling the Stream in and out every day. Just manually open and close the door. I have some really nice Hoermann garage doors with the torsion spring. I play to get openers eventually, but right now just open and close them manually. You can get a manual lock for it. No sweat.

Problem solved, and you did it for free. Sounds like a win-win.
Actually Jim, per one of my earlier posts, I was thinking along the lines of the old swing out barn doors. They can be securely locked from the inside and I could walk out the other garage door with the opener.