Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
This seems a lot of effort with these 2 brand of hitches, with my reese dual cam [one of orig. not newer ones]. I raise hitch high enough to back ball under install bars, all w/ less than minute. I will keep my Reese as does same thing as other 2 w/out all hassles & expense. I was at a forum camp out several yrs. ago & watched some person w/ 1 of these 2, bang into AS moving, reposition tv for part of 1/2 hour so have your fun but not for me. Pur. what ever hitch you desire learn how to use it.....
Not really, at all. I still have my Reese DC as by back up hitch, but prefer the Hensley in operation. Like a lot of things in this world, you just have to get to understand it. It takes me no longer to hitch and unhitch the HAHA than the Reese.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
All the methods to hitch/unhitch discussed here are not performed as a collection at each hitching. Find which of the many methods works for you and use it.

Very simple, very easy, and as quickly done as any when you quit banging on it and take the little time needed to understand it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
My Hensley (first one for me) was a steep learning curve and I too took nearly 30 minutes one day to get the unit out of storage. For me, the trick finally learned was to get close enough to use the cams to pull everything together. I had been taught you needed to drive the stinger home! All the other things posted here are valid and to each his own. I have picked up more tips from this and other forums on the ProPride and Hensley than I might have learned on my own, so this is all good and I like the security of the Hensley even if it never has to come into play for me on the road. I had serious issues with a 23ft SOB, my first trailer. Would that it had a Hensley.
JCW
Old 03-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Sammamish , Washington
I recently purchased a used ProProde hitch. However, the previous owner removed the hitch with the stinger inserted to the hitch head.

So now I can't pull the stinger out. (I have no trailer yet).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pull the stinger out? Or do I have to install the hitch onto a trailer and connect it to a tow vehicle and then pull the stinger out? Or can I go to a hitch shop and they will be able to help me out?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywsj View Post
GMC 2500 is our TV.

I follow David's description almost exactly & have watched the videos multiple times, but still can't seem to repeatedly find the recipe. Almost always the trailer height is a hair (1/2") low on disconnect so that is one thing.

A couple other things that I find "non-exact".

1. While watching the coupler lift off the ball, I see it start to move, then stop moving. I'd say that the amount of travel is 1/2" or so. I never know whether to stop at one end or the other, or the middle.

2. Same with the W/D bars. There are several turns from when it first gets loose to the other direction. Stop near the top (flatter head) or near the bottom (tilted up) or in the middle.

I'm certainly over thinking this, but like I said ... every time is a bit different which makes it maddening!
I just kick the WD bars and see how they swing.

When the hitch is completely relaxed, the WD bars will swing freely back and forth with a slight tap. Once there is pressure on the bars they stiffen up and won't swing freely. They move but not easily.

If the WD bars are completely relaxed then the stinger can pull out easily with no pressure from the hitch.

I have never had a situation where I could not get unhitched or hitched. But I have had a few problems on very uneven ground where the truck was backing down a hill and the trailer was facing up another hill. It made it difficult to get the right angle into the hitch but I finally succeeded.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeperblue View Post
I recently purchased a used ProProde hitch. However, the previous owner removed the hitch with the stinger inserted to the hitch head.

So now I can't pull the stinger out. (I have no trailer yet).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pull the stinger out? Or do I have to install the hitch onto a trailer and connect it to a tow vehicle and then pull the stinger out? Or can I go to a hitch shop and they will be able to help me out?

Thanks.
I'm not sure I understand. Why can't you pull it out? Even if it is off the trailer it should just slide out. Are you not disengaging the locking mechanism?

You should just be able to crank the locking nuts to each side and then slide the hitch right out. The stinger doesn't fit tightly in the hitch receiver.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Sammamish , Washington
Attachment 259236The stinger is stuck in the hitch head unit. So tight that I can't pull it out by hand. And I also tried using a hammer to knock the stinger loose but to no avail. I didn't want to knock the stinger too hard using hammers because I worried that may damage it.

Yes, I have disengaged the locking mechanism, if the locking mechanism refers to what the red arrow points to in the picture I uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
I'm not sure I understand. Why can't you pull it out? Even if it is off the trailer it should just slide out. Are you not disengaging the locking mechanism?

You should just be able to crank the locking nuts to each side and then slide the hitch right out. The stinger doesn't fit tightly in the hitch receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProPride_hitch_locking.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	259240  
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Mine has stuck a little, if its been pulled in by the over-center links and left too long. Since then I give it a shot of CorrosionX before setting it in there, and don't pull it tight.

To free it, try some penetrating oil and let it soak in. Tap it gently with a block of wood each side to knock it out. Don't use a hammer or anything that can break the components.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Sammamish , Washington
I did try using WD-40. And when I used a hammer to knock it loose, I put a block of wood between my hammer and the stinger, so the hammer didn't knock on the metal part directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Mine has stuck a little, if its been pulled in by the over-center links and left too long. Since then I give it a shot of CorrosionX before setting it in there, and don't pull it tight.

To free it, try some penetrating oil and let it soak in. Tap it gently with a block of wood each side to knock it out. Don't use a hammer or anything that can break the components.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I've never had mine stick like that.

I usually keep the stinger coated with white grease.

Is there a jack or something under the hitch that you could use to take the weight off the stinger? It has to be either friction or rust that is holding the stinger in place.

I would think if you keep trying penetrating oil and take the weight off of the head, that eventually the stinger should just slide out.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's possible that the former owner left it that way (stringer inserted) that it got rusted together. Pour some penetrating oil down the shaft and go have a beer. Then go back and whack the hell out of the stringer until it comes loose. It's solid iron, don't know how you're going to hurt it with a hammer. Alternative - do the penetrating oil, then tie the hitch to a big tree and get a ComeAlong and tie it to an opposite tree and put some tension on the stringer. Go have six beers and take a nap. Check and see if your stringer isn't resting on the lawn.

If you can't loosen it that way it's time to ask a paranoid question. Did the tow vehicle and trailer get involved in a rollover accident with this hitch and as a result did the stringer get torqued sideways in the receiver?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Sammamish , Washington
Something like ComeAlong might worth a try. Thanks for the tip!

Hope I didn't buy a damaged hitch as you imagined. That would mean $1.6K loss to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
It's possible that the former owner left it that way (stringer inserted) that it got rusted together. Pour some penetrating oil down the shaft and go have a beer. Then go back and whack the hell out of the stringer until it comes loose. It's solid iron, don't know how you're going to hurt it with a hammer. Alternative - do the penetrating oil, then tie the hitch to a big tree and get a ComeAlong and tie it to an opposite tree and put some tension on the stringer. Go have six beers and take a nap. Check and see if your stringer isn't resting on the lawn.

If you can't loosen it that way it's time to ask a paranoid question. Did the tow vehicle and trailer get involved in a rollover accident with this hitch and as a result did the stringer get torqued sideways in the receiver?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Are those 2 components painted together? Might be my phone but it looks as though the hitch was painted wet (not the powder coat that was on it originally).
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
You may have tried it but plug the stinger onto your tow vehicle. If you have a floor jack or some helpers, lift the head so that you are taking weight off of the stinger/head. Then try and work it loose, maybe a pry bar at the joint of the stinger and head. Might simply be the weight of the head causing additional friction.

ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote