Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Very well said. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to shed some light on the potential problems.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I would think that truck would do an excellent job. That is one of my choices for a camper puller. Here in the Deep South we drive pickups as daily drivers anyway. Pickups and SUVs outnumber cars and vans here.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"As of 2013, domestic vehicles now use SAE J2807 to establish standard towing capacity ratings so it is no longer just randomly assigned by the manufacturer. It seems foreign manufacturers may have been using this standard since 2010."

No they don't.......maybe in 2014 for Ford and GM. There's a bit of a marketing strategy war going on. It is voluntary and up to the mfr when and if they do it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It seems so very rude to me to have a technical or towing question answered with a series of worthless legal opinions. This stuff is all over the internet and provides nothing of value, except perhaps free advertising to some lawyer.

Folks have been challenged here and elsewhere to provide actual incidents of this actually happening to a person towing his personal RV, and the legal beagle cannot do it because there is nothing to it.

Sorry to dwell on this, but the thread was hopelessly and worthlessly hijacked pages ago. And yes I too am guilty of "the kettle calling the pot black".

doug k
Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #75

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I would think that truck would do an excellent job. That is one of my choices for a camper puller. Here in the Deep South we drive pickups as daily drivers anyway. Pickups and SUVs outnumber cars and vans here.
It's pretty much the same here in the Florida Panhandle. Pick-up trucks are the most common vehicle, and when someone wants to get a little fancy, they get an SUV.

As to the issue of our litigious society, I had a recent experience that surprised me at how far things have gone. My oldest son recently purchased a 2004 3/4 ton Chevrolet Suburban from one of his brothers. This Suburban was formerly mine. I had sold it to my son in Tampa a couple of years ago. I had used this vehicle to tow the Airstream. I had replaced the OEM LT245 tires with LT265's several sets of tires ago.

When my son in Atlanta recently went to Costco to get a new set of tires for the Suburban, they refused to mount replacement LT265 tires. He was told that they were allowed only to mount tires that were originally specified for that vehicle which were LT245's. My son spoke to the store manager. He was told that this was Costco policy because of liability considerations. I am thinking that if Costco has done this that the other National chains can't be far behind. I had had those LT265's installed at Sam's Club several years ago.

I guess the lawyers have taken over. Now we are told what size tires our vehicles can have because of liability issues. In the future, if we want a different size tire, we may have to buy the tires on the black market and have them mounted at a chop shop on a remote side street in a big city under cover of darkness.

The guys who jack up the pick-ups and the minivaners who want a lower profile tires are just gonna love this!

If tire size is a civil liability issue, I can't help but think that carrying or towing an oversize load will be litigated in some manner in the not too distant future.

In 1623, when William Shakespeare wrote Henry, The Sixth, his famous quote about the lawyer problem is as valid today as it apparently was almost 400 years ago.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It seems so very rude to me to have a technical or towing question answered with a series of worthless legal opinions. This stuff is all over the internet and provides nothing of value, except perhaps free advertising to some lawyer.

Folks have been challenged here and elsewhere to provide actual incidents of this actually happening to a person towing his personal RV, and the legal beagle cannot do it because there is nothing to it.

Sorry to dwell on this, but the thread was hopelessly and worthlessly hijacked pages ago. And yes I too am guilty of "the kettle calling the pot black".

doug k
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I would go so far as to call it trolling.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I would go so far as to call it trolling.
Without a doubt.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
When my son in Atlanta recently went to Costco to get a new set of tires for the Suburban, they refused to mount replacement LT265 tires. He was told that they were allowed only to mount tires that were originally specified for that vehicle which were LT245's. My son spoke to the store manager. He was told that this was Costco policy because of liability considerations. I am thinking that if Costco has done this that the other National chains can't be far behind. I had had those LT265's installed at Sam's Club several years ago.

Brian
brian, it gets even worse! some 6 years ago costco insisted on the position of the single tire i needed to replace. i forget if it was only to go on the front or rear. the best match wear wise was a tire on the other axle.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #79
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
i did not mean to be inflammatory at all. i am usually neutral on most subjects, but i work with lawyers all day and do legal writing as part of my job. I don't have access to a lexis Nexis account otherwise i would be happy to cite case law for you.

Quote:
"worthless legal opinions"
I'm going to have to say this is your opinion. Generally, lawyers bill upwards of $250/hr. So there is actually some value to having an actual lawyer(s) opine on the subject.

someone is asking for our (the forums') help making a decision that (at least one of us) sees as having potential dangerous consequences.

So if you can support the opinion of an expert FOR towing with a Honda Odyssey, Why can't you hear arguments AGAINST?

Again, "trolling" is not my intent. INFORMING is my intent. I'll butt out now.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
i did not mean to be inflammatory at all. i am usually neutral on most subjects, but i work with lawyers all day and do legal writing as part of my job. I don't have access to a lexis Nexis account otherwise i would be happy to cite case law for you.

I'm going to have to say this is your opinion. Generally, lawyers bill upwards of $250/hr. So there is actually some value to having an actual lawyer(s) opine on the subject.

someone is asking for our (the forums') help making a decision that (at least one of us) sees as having potential dangerous consequences.

So if you can support the opinion of an expert FOR towing with a Honda Odyssey, Why can't you hear arguments AGAINST?

Again, "trolling" is not my intent. INFORMING is my intent. I'll butt out now.
I think having opinions expressed from both sides of the discussion is a healthy exercise. I do not consider your posts to be the posts of a troll. I am not an expert and have made errors in the past because I only exposed myself to one side of a discussion. People make decisions based on information they gather from the various threads on this forum. I believe more information results in a better decision. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
But this "discussion" has been done innumerable times already the past few years in other threads. It is trolling as the subject of "liability" would have been better appended to one of those others if some new information was pertaining.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #82
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am thinking that if Costco has done this that the other National chains can't be far behind. I had had those LT265's installed at Sam's Club several years ago.
Well, Sam's is at it now, too. I ran into this the last time I got new tires.

ridiculous. corporate lawyers run amok...but they're doing their job, trying to do whatever to avoid lawsuits. Because, you know...you could be sued. For anything, by anyone.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #83
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Speaking of trolling, I was going to comment about the article in the Winnipeg Free Press on the Burbot, but now I don't dare.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #84
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchinson View Post
I think I'm finally coming around to the idea of letting Can-Am set up a TV for us since I'm sick of the 15mpg I get with my '06 Explorer.

My question is what do you think about towing a '63 Globetrotter with a 2013 Escape 2.0l Ecoboost and 6-speed automatic? It would have 17" rims with fairly low profile tires and (I suppose) the class II tow package as starters.

The globetrotter is currently being refurbished and will probably weight a little more than when it left the factory (~3200 lbs vs 2990 lbs). Most of our towing from here out will be with 2 adults and a dog since our daughters aren't going to be at home much longer.

We probably won't tow more than 4,000 miles a year with it.

Thank you.
Matt

I have a 2010 Ford escape and it is my least favorite car of all time.
Transmission failed at 17,000 miles, and numerous other issues. I have a Honda odyssey at over 200,000 miles and a Honda crv close to 200,000 and both of these cars COMBINED spent far less time in the shop for repairs than my Ford Escape this past year. I like and have owned Ford trucks but never wil buy a Ford car again, going back to Honda.

Complete strangers will come up to me in a parking lot and ask if I have issues with the Ford Escape, they all want to tell me about their problems with their own Ford Escapes. It's a club you don't want to be a part of!

Closed Thread