Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
For the OP (and others I guess), Andrew T set us up to tow a 2011 28' International with a 2011 Toyota Sienna. He did as he's outlined in his posts; modified the hitch, added extra transmission cooling, a brake controller, sway control and a weight distribution system.

Despite the trailer weighing more than twice the manufacturer's tow rating, the setup tows confidently and efficiently. We average around 12 mpg (US) and I've never experienced any sway, despite some potentially sway inducing situations. It stops without drama and handles highway or slow twisty roads with ease. It certainly won't break any speed records on hills but when I tow I'm on vacation so I can live with that. Perhaps most pertinent, and Rednax has already alluded to this, I have a daily driver that averages 28 mpg when not towing.

Last year we drove from Ontario to Florida and home via New Orleans over a period of eighteen days. I'm happy to report that the Sienna worked perfectly on that trip and all others.

So, will a Honda Odyssey, which is very similar to the Sienna, work? Properly set up, yes it will.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks Andrew, I really appreciate your answer!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
So, if you were going to pick any minivan to use as a tow vehicle, which one would it be? and why?

I was reading the latest ASL article by Andy T on "power", and applied the formula to my pickup truck. care to guess what the numbers were? lol!

For kicks, I dug up numbers on a dodge caravan--very similar profile the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave.

From the comments in this thread, it sounds like the mini's are all pretty similar, but I'm just wonderin' if there's one that stands out for any particular reason.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Chuck

There is no clear winner. I like the rear suspension of the Odyssey better than the rest but I prefer the selectable 6 speed transmission in the others. If you want all wheel drive then the Sienna is the only choice. The Caravan is the best value and the stow and go seats are great.

We put 52000 miles on our 08 Town and Country and now have about the same on our 2011 Caravan. Most of those miles are towing, hundreds of short test drives etc. Neither has needed a repair as yet even on the original brakes. The 2011 3.6 Litre has a little less low end torque than the 08 4.0 Litre but the fuel economy is amazing for the size of vehicle it is.

We have a customer who travels extensively with a 30' Classic with 200,000 miles on a 2002 Odyssey and other who has well over 100,000 on a 2004 Sienna also with a 30 Classic. We have customers with the Quest and Hyundia/Kia but no long term use history with either as of yet.

The Quest is interesting in that it has a longer wheel base and full independent suspension like the Odyssey however towing with the CVT transmission is a different experience.

If you are thinking of a used van don't get a Chrysler before 2008 and make sure a 08-10 has the 6 speed transmission, the 3.0 liter came with a 4 speed. The Ford Freestar from 04-08 did a great job for us as did the GM vans but only those with the 3.9 litre engines.

A little of the SUV/Pickup mentality of "big mushy tires sell better" has been creeping into the van segment so we do often change to a lower profile tire on these though it would not be at all critical with your 23'. It makes such a difference that even if I never towed anything I would change the tire size when the time came for new ones.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
What about a 2013 Ford Escape

I think I'm finally coming around to the idea of letting Can-Am set up a TV for us since I'm sick of the 15mpg I get with my '06 Explorer.

My question is what do you think about towing a '63 Globetrotter with a 2013 Escape 2.0l Ecoboost and 6-speed automatic? It would have 17" rims with fairly low profile tires and (I suppose) the class II tow package as starters.

The globetrotter is currently being refurbished and will probably weight a little more than when it left the factory (~3200 lbs vs 2990 lbs). Most of our towing from here out will be with 2 adults and a dog since our daughters aren't going to be at home much longer.

We probably won't tow more than 4,000 miles a year with it.

Thank you.
Matt
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We may still buy a Honda Oddysey, but I won't tow the long, long trailer with it. Maybe a second pickup. I'm thinking a used Ram 1/2 ton regular cab with an 8' box and the 5.7. My plan is to take my motorcycle with me in the bed of the pickup while towing the Airstream. I cannot do that with my current pickup- 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with the 5.5' box.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Mike View Post
2dabeach is right. If you have a 30' Classic like your profile indicates, then there is no chance you could use a Honda anything! Honda Ridgeline has a tow rating a little higher than the Pilot but is not even close to 7000#!

I wouldn't tow above the rated weight. It could be very dangerous in addition to being hopelessly useless on a moderately steep hill.

We chose an older Airstream due to the lower weight compared to new models. We got the largest one we could safely tow. With the Oddessy you are probably limited to a 16' Bambi.

You need a proper truck I'm sorry to say; not a minivan.
Remember folks, it's against forum rules to hold a contrary opinion on any towing thread.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 04-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Remember folks, it's against forum rules to hold a contrary opinion on any towing thread.

Bob
If that were the case, towing threads would be much less... entertaining...
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If that were the case, towing threads would be much less... entertaining...
An Odyssey on an odyssey could very well be an Odyssey, a long and eventful or adventurous journey......figurative.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I was hoping to dodge that whole thing with a Caravan. More appropriately named....and the people who've actually used them think they are just grand.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I don't Sienna problems towing with a minivan....

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

AHH....LEVITY at last!

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
An Odyssey on an odyssey could very well be an Odyssey, a long and eventful or adventurous journey......figurative.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I was hoping to dodge that whole thing with a Caravan. More appropriately named....and the people who've actually used them think they are just grand.
So would that be an odyssey of Caravans, or a caravan of Odysseys?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Have we left out those those who are using an Escape on their Odyssey?
Bob

Two more posts will complete this hijack

RLC

RLC
Closed Thread