Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
McKinney , Texas
Has anyone modified a 1970 sovereign hitch with sway control?

I have a Sovereign with an original hitch that has the built in sway bars. My TV is now an F250 that is lifted. I need to drop down at least 6 to pull the trailer level and not drag butt down the road! I took the hitch to a neighbor that can basically weld anything. He can weld up a drop using the old ball assembly, but I am just checking to see if anyone has modified on of these hitches. Its a solid chunk of 2 x 2 steel and will take a lot of welding and mods to make it safe. Failing that I guess I would have to buy a new sway bar system-which I dont want to do as the old one is so heavy duty and kinda cool..

Airwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thumbs up Reconfiguring Welded Hitch Head

Greetings Airwalla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwalla View Post
I have a Sovereign with an original hitch that has the built in sway bars. My TV is now an F250 that is lifted. I need to drop down at least 6 to pull the trailer level and not drag butt down the road! I took the hitch to a neighbor that can basically weld anything. He can weld up a drop using the old ball assembly, but I am just checking to see if anyone has modified on of these hitches. Its a solid chunk of 2 x 2 steel and will take a lot of welding and mods to make it safe. Failing that I guess I would have to buy a new sway bar system-which I dont want to do as the old one is so heavy duty and kinda cool..
What you suggest was commonplace when our Vintage Airstreams were new, but in recent years, the process of reconfiguring a welded hitch head has become a rarely performed art. The usual problem is finding a welder with the knowledge/experience to get the tilt of the hitch head correct prior to solidly welding the unit -- this is an adjustment that is quite easy with the bolt together hitch heads commonly in use today -- but in the welded hitch head the art of the welder is often expressed in the precision of the hitch head angle. Granted, the hitch head angle may not be as critical when the tow vehicle is 3/4-ton pickup as it was when the usual tow vehicle was the full-size family sedan.

Even if you find that you need to go with a new adjustable hitch head, you may be able to continue to utilize your weight distribution bars as these bars haven't changed drastically in the years since your coach was new. I still use a set of bars from my welded hitch head configured in 1979 even though I am using a recent model adjustable hitch head.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
McKinney , Texas
Its true. There are very few people that I would trust to do that job
Airwalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign