Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Harness

So. We have a 1970 globetrotter. Getting into the restoration side of things. Now the wiring harness??? How do I know if it is the old AS pattern or the new standard. Currently right now all I have is right brake light and signal light working. No green light on trailer brake either. Any and all advice appreciated. Tow vehicle is a 2006 f150 5.4 and I know my running lights don't work.( keep blowing fuses)
Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I presume you have not had the lights working before?
You can troubleshoot most with a test light and not blow fuses (destructive not the best method to test).

That age of AS will have had a new "umbilical cord" installed. So, no telling what the PO did. I recommend probing the end to map out the functions. Then begin the debug.

Sometimes shorts develop inside the plug and fuses try to Protect.

If all well in the plug and cable, check where it enters the shell. May be chafed there. Find where the connections are made inside the AS... Chances are some wires have grounded over the years...

P. S. Using a test lamp will only use 1.5 volts and should not damage any wiring because it is low voltage.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I just changed my trailer plug and during the process had a short across some of the pins. Using a jump wire I determined that besides the short in the plug there were some fuses blown in the TV. Trial and error will determine which pins in the plug correspond the what on the trailer. Good luck !

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is times like these that the shop manual for your year oftrailer will be very handy. Check ebay, and search the Forums for sources (there was just a thread discussing sources for shop/mainenance manuals).

Anway, as-built, the pin configuration on your trailer is not compatible with modern pin arrangements from your tow vehicle. So, if you just plug your TV straight into trailer, you should not expect to have all your lights working properly. Now, the previous owner may have already dealt with this situation, either by accessing the back of the plug at the front of the trailer and reconfiguring the wiring in the plug, or by building a custom whip (umbilical) that adapts the old AS wiring configuration to the new standard. It will be hard to tell without geting a volt-ohm meter, and checking your umbilical from end to end and then having a look at the back of the plug mounted on the trailer to see how it is wired.

I have attached two files, one shows the wiring configuration in my '73 (yours might be the same), and the other shows the modern pin configuration. Start by getting this issue sorted out. ONce you know what color wire goes to what lights, it will be easier to troubleshoot if you have a bad bulb, nicked wires, etc.

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream wiring.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	235183   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin connector wiring.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	235184  

Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. One thing I was thinking of doing was hooking up a battery charger then using leads of that and power each individual wire to see what it powers and then draw a map of it from there and I should get a good idea of what wires are what. Any downside to this?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNCampers View Post
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. One thing I was thinking of doing was hooking up a battery charger then using leads of that and power each individual wire to see what it powers and then draw a map of it from there and I should get a good idea of what wires are what. Any downside to this?
A battery charger can put more power than you really need.. Here is what I suggested:
Amazon.com: ATD Tools 5513 Heavy-Duty Circuit Tester: Automotive

Now... if you have VOM meter, that will work best. But, for simple circuit checking, please consider this process.... you can add extra lengths of wire to meet your needs, too..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Thank you again...

I do have a tester and that I have used on many points through out the trailer. My goal though is to power each line and see if the lights do in fact light up. I could just use a car battery if that would work as well. The lenses were off on the back for a time so there could be some corrosion as well but for only one light to work and the brake not connect I suspect the wiring is wrong.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
So based on what I have read and what folks on here have said the only thing that will match up is the right hand turn signal and right brake light. The whole mirror image thing may be throwing me off but that is what I have determined.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:40 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Calgary , Alberta
Hey Y'all

So I took an old battery charger to map out what the trailer wiring harness would lead too. Here are my conclusions. Only one real surprise. Well it was not the current standard for sure.

Red- left turn brake
Brown- right turn brake
Green- running lights
Black- back up lights
Blue- 12v or power
Yellow- brake controller
White- ground

So now I will re-wire the trailer end to match the truck and then cross my fingers or hope the folks behind me know I mean to turn right even though the reverse lights are on!