Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hard lessons to learn.....

Saw this on eBay:

eBay Motors: Crashed Airstream 27' Overlander for parts or resto? (item 220151481377 end time Sep-23-07 06:01:49 PDT)

27' Airstream (vintage) towed by a small SUV. This is a prime example of why folks say get the right tool for the job. If you care enough to go out and buy a trailer, make sure you have the proper tow gear and tow vehicle. SO many times on this forum we hear about how folks push the envelope, thinking it won't happen to me.....this auction clearly shows it can happen and does happen when you do the WRONG thing. Valuable lessons can be learned from this........
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yep...the SECOND recent example. Another member was in a horrific accident a couple of weeks back. I am pretty sure they would not tow a 25' with a 1/2 ton again...
Thank God they survived.
All those in the market for an AS and/or new TV should make note of these incidents. "It won't happen to me" just doesn't cut it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Surprising number of intact windows. I'm sure there are a lot of other "goodies," maybe even the frame and some interior stuff. NY is just to far to go from Colorado.

Zep
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Yep...the SECOND recent example. Another member was in a horrific accident a couple of weeks back. I am pretty sure they would not tow a 25' with a 1/2 ton again...
Thank God they survived.
All those in the market for an AS and/or new TV should make note of these incidents. "It won't happen to me" just doesn't cut it.
Different names, different dates, different locations, same old story.

Why have a load eqaulizing hitch?

Why do I have to have a proper rated load equalizing hitch?

Why have a sway control?

Why can't I tow it without brakes?

Why can't I use an under rated tow vehicle?

Why can't I use an over rated tow vehicle?

And more recently, why can't I tow my trailer and use my cell phone or text messages at the same time?

In 1970, I headed a research program for Caravanner Insurane Company, the old insrance division of Airstream.

That program, proved and documented, what causes loss of control accidents, specifically towing an Airstream trailer.

We proved and identified that in over 90 percent of those losses, the cause of the those accidents, were unnecessary and avoidable.

Granted, a small percentage still happens, and cannot be proven "why." But that percentage is less than 10 percent.

People are people, some who wish to skirt the laws of Physics, because they consider themselves to be immune from towing problems.

My advice to those, then and now, is the same.

Have lots of liability insurance, have a great insurance policy on yourself, and make sure that your will or living trust is up to date.

Facts are facts, and opinions are opinions.

But opinions, never override facts, or Physics.

This may seem harsh, but it is facts.

Those facts that have stood the test of time, for almost 40 years.

Giving sympathy to those that have lost control of their rigs, is certainly being very nice, and a lot easier to do, instead of having to offer mourning as I had to do, with the families of some of those victims.

That was a part of my job, back then, that I wll never forget.

Life is so short. Do everything you can to preserve it. Your family will love you for it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Boy I HATE to see a thread like this right before I'm heading out on a trip!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Me too, Stephanie!

I am now confused. You shouldn't pull a 25' with a 1/2 ton pickup? We did for years. Please explain.

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
A 70’s, or older vintage, is much lighter than the newer AS’s. A 25’ can be as much as 1000# heavier (or more…look at the AS specs). The tongue weight on my 25’ when loaded is over 1000#. Add to the TV a few passengers, some fuel, firewood, the dog, etc. this is too much to SAFELY handle with ANY ½ ton. I don’t care if it is built on Krypton. Lots of Folks do it and get away with, as Andy noted. That doesn’t mean it is a good idea. I don’t over load my boat (s), I would not put 3 on my motorcycle, I will not load my TV to the max just because I might be ok for this trip. It looks like this guy survived, and so did a couple of weeks ago. I’ll bet neither one wants to repeat that moment. For those of you who have already forgot Gardenofjoys’ horror show; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/our-loss-35568.html

Put the odds in your favor, and yes, an “accident” may still happen.
I don’t want to infer that you need a 1 ton truck to pull a Bambi. But as Andy stated; get a proper TV, hitch, drive safely, and do your maintenance, and do not push the weight limits of your TV. Do all the things that are in your control.

Bill