Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Los Angeles , California
Handtruck for hitch that can push/pull 34' PA

Hello all,
I am wondering if there is some sort of hand truck that can attach to a 34ft airstream tongue to move it forward and backwards?

Thanks,
matt
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
...just do the google thing. Trailer power dolly.

Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Suggest you check out this website: /www.powermoverinc.net .... then if you're interested, give Brady a call. Once you describe EXACTLY what you want to do, you'll get a straight answer from him IF one of his power movers will work for you. I have a sloping driveway along with a narrow set of doors that I gotta move my 28 footer through without bending the aluminum. I have one of his 5 wheel power movers...zero problems, ruggedly built, and he customized it so I can use my ProPride 3P hitch -- either via the stinger, or with a mount he made specifically for my trailer. Very personalized service, and he guarantees satisfaction.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
I guess you would need to consider if you are wanting to move your trailer on gravel or concrete, too?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow, are these things hugely expensive? I did not know anything like this existed!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
My driveway is around 55 feet long. It is gravel and has an up slope to it. Brady considered all this before he recommended the appropriate mover. Yup, this is not an inexpensive solution....but backing 28' up a 30 foot concrete driveway, through a set of 12' wide gates then up the additional 55 ft of sloped gravel is not for the faint of heart....and if I consider being to the left or right by around 18' off center through those two gates, we are talking about several thousands of dollars of aluminum on a brand new trailer. Do the math. Or park the trailer someplace where you pay monthly rental and don't have it available to load, or unload, or use it as extra sleeping space for family/company. Everyone's situation is different, right/
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you have a tractor you can put a 3pt hitch attachment on it. I made one and it works great. You just back up to the trailer raise the hitch and go. Once you get use to towing a big rig with your two vehicle you can back that sucker up and turn pretty well with it. I can get my 31 footer through my gate and I am not sure it is 12 foot wide. I have to make a 90 degree turn off the road to get through the gate. You can get into trouble with the caddy thing as well and it probably can't stop the trailer if it starts moving too fast.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Smile Too narrow?

This fellow may need a little more width.

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
Hello all,
I am wondering if there is some sort of hand truck that can attach to a 34ft airstream tongue to move it forward and backwards?

Thanks,
matt
The product exists, both manual and powered. I had a small, manual one, with small, solid wheels (about 8x1 or 1.5), and I used it to position a small HiLo into it's parking spot. It was up to the challenge as long as I was on concrete. One time I slipped off the pavement, into gravel, and that was it. The small wheel dug in, and the axle bent. If you're not on a paved surface, make sure you have large, pneumatic tires, and that the model you select will handle your tongue weight...many of them won't, including the powered ones. In any event, I wouldn't try to muscle a trailer of any size uphill on a gravel driveway. A powered dolly with large, pneumatic wheels should be fine on pavement, but I'd concerned about gravel as some of these devices also have two caster-like wheels.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote