Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
Gvwr

This is my first posting, which I think needs to be here. I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe, went to the dealer today to find out what limit I can tow. I can tow between 6400 and 6600 pounds.
My question is, looking at the new specs of Airstreams, if you go back 8-10 years, will the same size Airstreams still have the newer GVWR? I would like to get a used 25', but having a problem establishing the weight going back 8-10 years.
I hope my question is not too confusing.
Thanks for any input.
AVL Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Document Archive

Search here:
https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/
for the year and model and you should be able to find weights, dimensions, etc.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Rancho Cordova , California
After looking at the link provided above, a 2008 model year in the 25ft region, it looks do able, but you might find yourself at the trucks tow limits fairly quickly.

Unless I am reading the charts wrong, the trailer empty weights look to be in the 5100-5900 pound area depending on model. Assuming your actual tow capacity is 6600 pounds, that is going to leave you between 700-1500 pounds of gear, water and equipment, to add to it before you max out (depending on the model you select.)

You may be able to re-gear your Tahoe for additional towing capacity, perhaps your dealer could answer that question and provide you the information.
J-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog View Post
After looking at the link provided above, a 2008 model year in the 25ft region, it looks do able, but you might find yourself at the trucks tow limits fairly quickly.

Unless I am reading the charts wrong, the trailer empty weights look to be in the 5100-5900 pound area depending on model. Assuming your actual tow capacity is 6600 pounds, that is going to leave you between 700-1500 pounds of gear, water and equipment, to add to it before you max out (depending on the model you select.)

You may be able to re-gear your Tahoe for additional towing capacity, perhaps your dealer could answer that question and provide you the information.

Thank you
Old 05-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum and wishing you success in the search for your Airstream!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Welcome to the forum and wishing you success in the search for your Airstream!

Thank you. I just wish my Tahoe had a larger tow rating. I hate to compromise on what I want to buy.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
I'm thinking your Tahoe does not have a factory tow package if that is the rating.

My 2009 Tahoe has the tow package and is rated to tow 8,600 lbs. Our 2007 25' Safari weighs right at 5,000 dry. After factoring in payloads and tongue weight though, we are still well within our specs.

But even with all that, after towing our Safari home, hubby went and got a Ford 250 (he traded in his car to do this) because he just felt the Tahoe was wimpy for the trailer...don't get me wrong. We kept to the 55 speed limit and we had some hills and curves, but he kept wondering what would happen in the Smokies and really felt out west we would be pushing that Tahoe to it's limits to get the job done and it would do her in quickly.

The other dilemma is the wheel base of the Tahoe, which is pretty short if compared to our truck. It is something else to consider.

I seriously think if you go with a 25', you will be quickly at or over your ratings unless you get some additional towing upgrades to your Tahoe. If not, I think I would consider the Sports at 22' and under.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
When evaluating a potential tow vehicle, don't just look at the published "towing capacity" of the tow vehicle. While important, that statistic basically states the tow vehicle's engine and transmission's capabilities to pull something. The other equally important specification is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. Remember that once you hitch up your Airstream, you will generally be adding between 500 and 1,200 pounds of "cargo" to the tow vehicle via the weight of the trailer on the tongue. When you consider the weight of the stuff already in your tow vehicle, including the occupants and a full tank of fuel, often this amount of weight on the tongue becomes an issue (especially for SUVs and 1/2 ton trucks with caps and all "the bells and whistles.") Note also that Airstream's published "tongue weights" are notoriously low in real life. It's best to get an actual weight of your Airstream's tongue weight when it is fully loaded for travel. Too much weight on the back of the tow vehicle can have a very detrimental impact on emergency handling as well as damaging the suspension. A weight distribution hitch can help somewhat with this by sending some of the weight to the tow vehicle's front axle and to a lesser extent back to the trailer itself, but it cannot make the hitch weight "go away."
Old 05-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
I'm thinking your Tahoe does not have a factory tow package if that is the rating.

My 2009 Tahoe has the tow package and is rated to tow 8,600 lbs. Our 2007 25' Safari weighs right at 5,000 dry. After factoring in payloads and tongue weight though, we are still well within our specs.

But even with all that, after towing our Safari home, hubby went and got a Ford 250 (he traded in his car to do this) because he just felt the Tahoe was wimpy for the trailer...don't get me wrong. We kept to the 55 speed limit and we had some hills and curves, but he kept wondering what would happen in the Smokies and really felt out west we would be pushing that Tahoe to it's limits to get the job done and it would do her in quickly.

The other dilemma is the wheel base of the Tahoe, which is pretty short if compared to our truck. It is something else to consider.

I seriously think if you go with a 25', you will be quickly at or over your ratings unless you get some additional towing upgrades to your Tahoe. If not, I think I would consider the Sports at 22' and under.

Thanks for the input. I am going back out to the dealer today to kick some ideas around. I drove a truck my whole life and when I retired last year, I traded it in for the Tahoe, which I love.
I have my homework to do.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL Man View Post
Thanks for the input. I am going back out to the dealer today to kick some ideas around. I drove a truck my whole life and when I retired last year, I traded it in for the Tahoe, which I love.
I have my homework to do.
I wish you much luck in your trailer search and gaining ground in the towing department. Lots of people tow with Tahoes and are extremely happy with their setup. I'm sure your dealer can help you get what you need so you can get the trailer you desire.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a older 25'. A 1988 model. The listed dry weight is 5100 lbs. I doubt if that weight even includes accessories like the awnings. When we travel the actual weight is 6300 lbs. I have looked at the weight labels on a newer, wide body, 25' and they are heavier. I think you will be looking at 7000 lbs plus for a 25' on the road.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
When evaluating a potential tow vehicle, don't just look at the published "towing capacity" of the tow vehicle. While important, that statistic basically states the tow vehicle's engine and transmission's capabilities to pull something. The other equally important specification is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. Remember that once you hitch up your Airstream, you will generally be adding between 500 and 1,200 pounds of "cargo" to the tow vehicle via the weight of the trailer on the tongue. When you consider the weight of the stuff already in your tow vehicle, including the occupants and a full tank of fuel, often this amount of weight on the tongue becomes an issue (especially for SUVs and 1/2 ton trucks with caps and all "the bells and whistles.") Note also that Airstream's published "tongue weights" are notoriously low in real life. It's best to get an actual weight of your Airstream's tongue weight when it is fully loaded for travel. Too much weight on the back of the tow vehicle can have a very detrimental impact on emergency handling as well as damaging the suspension. A weight distribution hitch can help somewhat with this by sending some of the weight to the tow vehicle's front axle and to a lesser extent back to the trailer itself, but it cannot make the hitch weight "go away."

Thank you for your input Bob. There is a whole bunch to decide on, also, I live in Western N.C. And know just coming up the mountain will be important.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Vintage trailers tend to be a lot lighter for a given length. My 1967 Overlander 26 ft (really 27 ft long) weighed 4700 lbs on a truck scale loaded with gear but empty tanks. Camping weight is about 5000 lbs.
Having said that, I prefer to tow it with my F-150 rather than my wife's SUV, mainly due wheelbase and braking capacity.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

I just came back from my Chevy dealer, who pulled the sheet from my sale last June.
It seems my real axle has a 3.42 ratio and the GVWR is 8400 lbs.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
That's much closer to what my Tahoe can do. At least your payload is larger. I truly believe that helps. It won't help with a longer wheel base, but with a proper WD hitch setup, that will help too. I'm sure it can tow it and with brake controller, will stop it....but I believe on the NC mountains, you'll def know it's behind you. Still, 8400 is much better than 6,100.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL Man View Post
I just came back from my Chevy dealer, who pulled the sheet from my sale last June.
It seems my real axle has a 3.42 ratio and the GVWR is 8400 lbs.
Look at your owner's manual. There is a chart in it that will give you the GCWR and Maximum Trailer Weight, based on the body, engine, transmission type, and gear ratio. There are placards on the driver's door that tell you the payload capacity and the GVWR for your specific vehicle.

I think you are confusing the numbers for GVWR, maximum tow capacity, and GCRW.

My Silverado 1500 with the Max Trailering package has a GVWR of 7,200, and a Maximum Trailer Weight capacity of 11,100, and a GCWR of 16,700.

My 2000 25' Safari's GVWR is 6,400, but generally weighs over 6,000 when loaded to go camping.

At the maximum trailer weight, payload is limited to only a small person as a driver, nothing else. (because the weight of the empty truck, the weight of the driver, and 10% tongue weight of the trailer will max out both gross weight and payload of the tow vehicle) As payload (passengers, or cargo, or tongue weight) is added to the tow vehicle, it's ability to tow is decreased.

You need to know all three numbers, and not exceed any one of them.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Look at your owner's manual. There is a chart in it that will give you the GCWR and Maximum Trailer Weight, based on the body, engine, transmission type, and gear ratio. There are placards on the driver's door that tell you the payload capacity and the GVWR for your specific vehicle.

I think you are confusing the numbers for GVWR, maximum tow capacity, and GCRW.

My Silverado 1500 with the Max Trailering package has a GVWR of 7,200, and a Maximum Trailer Weight capacity of 11,100, and a GCWR of 16,700.

My 2000 25' Safari's GVWR is 6,400, but generally weighs over 6,000 when loaded to go camping.

At the maximum trailer weight, payload is limited to only a small person as a driver, nothing else. (because the weight of the empty truck, the weight of the driver, and 10% tongue weight of the trailer will max out both gross weight and payload of the tow vehicle) As payload (passengers, or cargo, or tongue weight) is added to the tow vehicle, it's ability to tow is decreased.

You need to know all three numbers, and not exceed any one of them.

Thanks AW