Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The couple wears without grease and it wears with grease but not as quickly and does not make as much noise. My parents had a 1971 30' AS International - traveled over 240,000 miles I don't think my father ever greased the ball, he did repack the bearings once a year but that is about it. I grease mine with a very light film and use a Hitch Grip when removing the head assembly or putting it on the truck, no grease on hands or cloths and much easier than lifting the thing with two hands.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #86

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have never heard of the Hitch Grip, but that looks like something I'm going to want to add to my toolbox!

HitchGrip - Lmd Products Inc HG-712 - Trailer Towing Accessories - Camping World

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #87
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
This thread is amusing! I can see the printed label:....

AIRSTREAM BALL LUBE
Guaranteed to prevent squeaks, it will never rust, bust or collect dust. This product will give a 10 MPG improvement in fuel economy and while stationary will repel Bears, insects, snakes, and wolves. This amazing product has HUNDREDS of uses around the home. Use it instead of oil when frying chicken, on your skin to prevent sun damage, and on anything around the home or RV that squeaks, creaks, or peeps. It can be sprayed on the ground to attract Huge Nightcrawlers at your favorite fishing hole. Sprayed directly on any Airstream, it will create a high luster polished finish that looks like Chrome! Just spray and forget it. It will also instantly remove ANY dent no matter how deep on your RV making it look new again.
Our team of highly skilled AIRFORUM professionals have created the ULTIMATE lubricant that will replace just about every product you use in the Home, RV, and garage.
If you think it's too good to be true, remember, you read it here first. And after all, it is on the internet.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #88
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Humm. I hadn't really thought about it before, but has anybody thought of using either wax (parafin) or hand soap? I use them to lubricate the zippers on the MG's tonneau cover without attracting too much dust, but don't know if one or the other would be appropriate for a hitch ball. (I've always used grease on the hitch ball.)

Lynn
Old 01-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Humm. I hadn't really thought about it before, but has anybody thought of using either wax (parafin) or hand soap? I use them to lubricate the zippers on the MG's tonneau cover without attracting too much dust, but don't know if one or the other would be appropriate for a hitch ball. (I've always used grease on the hitch ball.)

Lynn
The people on the Casita forums like to use Door Ease as a ball lubricant, it's basically a wax, and it works well for them with about 300lbs of tongue weight.

I don't think it will work well with tongue weights like our Airstreams have, plus the load put on the ball from WD hitches.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman View Post
This thread is amusing! I can see the printed label:....

AIRSTREAM BALL LUBE
Guaranteed to prevent squeaks, it will never rust, bust or collect dust. This product will give a 10 MPG improvement in fuel economy and while stationary will repel Bears, insects, snakes, and wolves. This amazing product has HUNDREDS of uses around the home. Use it instead of oil when frying chicken, on your skin to prevent sun damage, and on anything around the home or RV that squeaks, creaks, or peeps. It can be sprayed on the ground to attract Huge Nightcrawlers at your favorite fishing hole. Sprayed directly on any Airstream, it will create a high luster polished finish that looks like Chrome! Just spray and forget it. It will also instantly remove ANY dent no matter how deep on your RV making it look new again.
Our team of highly skilled AIRFORUM professionals have created the ULTIMATE lubricant that will replace just about every product you use in the Home, RV, and garage.
If you think it's too good to be true, remember, you read it here first. And after all, it is on the internet.
I gotta get some and spray it on my bum knee. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Not sure if it helps the hitch or not, but it sure leaves an indelible mark on my pants every time I walk into the hitch at night. Kind of a pain ledger, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS View Post
Not sure if it helps the hitch or not, but it sure leaves an indelible mark on my pants every time I walk into the hitch at night. Kind of a pain ledger, I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I have lots of comments, but ...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Dry or Greased Balls come loose on Equal-i-zer Hitches!

I am a confirmed ball greaser of the first order. For eight years I towed a 23 foot Safari with the "?" hitch with the tension bars and chains. Never a problem. (Cannot recall the name of the hitch, but those with the chains may add the brand.)

The Airstream dealer only offered the Equalizer Hitch assembly with 1,000 pound spring arms for the 25 foot International CCD attached to the 2012 Tundra Crew Max.

While in Arizona a fellow Airstreamer with a front bed International did not grease his ball and mentioned that it had come "loose" and needed to have it tightened. Well... I figured you need to grease your ball to reduce the friction and prevent something like this to happen... ever again.

When inserting the hitch into the truck's receiver you have the two tension bar inserts flopping around so nothing felt out of the ordinary... but this time I grabbed my ball, just this one... and it was... LOOSE. I carry a socket and long handle socket wrench to avoid paying to have a ball transplant when a ball gets worn from long use. Never needed it... but I carry it along anyways. The large nut with "lock washer" was loose by 2 and a half rotations to tighten. I could move it by hand with little effort.

This was really our first long trip into the Southwestern Desert Country. All on paved roads and RV Park camping, which is not our normal camping.

CHECK YOUR BALLS BEFORE YOU LEAVE TOWN Equalizer Hitchers. Mine was loose, yours could be as well. Even by torquing I could get the ball to rotate in the hitch... so here at home I will use a second monkey wrench to keep the ball from rotating and try to get this taken care of... The ball also seems to have more wear on one side of the top ball. This I will bring up to Equalizer and the local Airstream dealership. Hopefully it is a fixable adjustment and not a common flaw. It did get my attention.

I am going to post this experience on a separate post and get any feedback from other Equalizer Hitch owner's experiences.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
^^^ Nothing worse than having a ball come loose and flop around - that's what I always say.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
^^^ Nothing worse than having a ball come loose and flop around - that's what I always say.
When correctly viewed, everything is lewd.
(Tom Lehrer, a voice from the 60's)

Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Lewd?! Moi?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #97
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Good point on the ball loosening up. That's why I weld mine in.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #98
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Hitch ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I am a Ball Greaser. Wheel bearing grease works for me.

I had a friend who said it was not necessary. It was dirty. It served no purpose other than watching an adult making a mess of the only Ball on the trailer. This is the same guy that opened his garage door with the remote... forgot to release the door locking mechanism and I helped HIM to cobble it together so they could leave on their camping trip.

His "clean method". He said he uses "wax paper".

I looked over Threads to find if someone knew how to handle a Trailer's Ball and Hitch. None. So I open this for discussion.

What works best? Slapping on a good amount of wheel bearing grease or a wax paper job on your Ball Work? Even if wax paper is the preferred method... I have four or five years of Ball Grease to use up. My wife said it was outside her "inside the trailer work". "You figure out what to do with your ball problem, not me."

You can stick to your cookie wax paper roll and I will put on the rubber glove and slap some grease on the Ball and not have to hear the squeak, squeak, squeak when trying to sneak away early in the morning from the RV Park.
I use grease on my ball.