Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I haven't found it discussed searching for what I thought might take me to a link. Many of the new models are spec'd as 8' 5.5" wide. Most states allow trailers up to 8' 6". A chart I'm looking at shows a handful of states that have an 8' width limit. Has anyone any problem driving through those states with that limit?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There is a lot of info on the internet about that, some of it conflicting and some articles may be out of date. Internet articles often do not have dates on them and laws change frequently.

Here are some links:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which states limit RV width to 8 feet MAX?
2010 Driving Laws for the US and Canada
Is Your RV Too Wide To Legally Be On The Road Without An Oversized Load Permit? - The Fun Times Guide to RVing
State Towing Laws for RVs

After you read all that, I'm sure you will wonder what the answer is. The only way to be sure is check with state highway departments or look up the state statutes. I guess I've broken some traffic laws in the east, but I've been breaking other traffic laws since 1959. Every article I read, including ones I didn't post, said no one has heard of anyone being cited for an oversize trailer.

Gene

Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Thanks, Gene. There was some interesting reading there. I agree; many of those charts are not dated and some contradict which states have the 8' limit. I went through and overnighted in MD last year with no problem. As one mentioned, he bought his wide body trailer in MD. One would assume if he got his plates there also, the state would be blessing his rig to travel it's roads. Likewise for OR.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I got my "thank you" note from Florida DPS this week. Another $23 late fee since they received the check a day late. Then a second envelope the same day with a nice picture of the back of my trailer and license plate. Seems that at one of the toll booths coming into Orlando an attendant had waved me past the pay booth and the camera didn't catch me with the window rolled down with a twenty in my hand trying to pay. Who says it not about the money there? So $116 for ticket + $23 late fee + $20 toll violation. Priceless
Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #117
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Our new AS is in Texas. That's as far east as it's ever gonna be while we own it.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #118
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
My Airstream is registered in Maryland - no 8' limit here - or at least enforced...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #119
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Our new AS is in Texas. That's as far east as it's ever gonna be while we own it.
Man, Gringo. That's cold.

Pat
from Virginia.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
"Improper mirrors are admittedly one of my pet peeves and were I in law enforcement probably one of the things I would be tough on."

We don't make a habit of stopping and citing for equipment violations unless attitude becomes an issue on a speed stop or DWI.

On the other hand it is hard to hold back my guys after they have worked a couple of fatal accidents where the innocent victims died because the violator "couldn't see them" during a lane change. Not a frequent event but it does happen.

We do look for unsafe driving combined with tow vehicle trailer combinations (swerving, swaying across lanes, too much speed, stuff like that) which happens a lot. Often alcohol is part of that problem.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #121
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
"Improper mirrors are admittedly one of my pet peeves and were I in law enforcement probably one of the things I would be tough on."

We don't make a habit of stopping and citing for equipment violations unless attitude becomes an issue on a speed stop or DWI.

On the other hand it is hard to hold back my guys after they have worked a couple of fatal accidents where the innocent victims died because the violator "couldn't see them" during a lane change. Not a frequent event but it does happen.

We do look for unsafe driving combined with tow vehicle trailer combinations (swerving, swaying across lanes, too much speed, stuff like that) which happens a lot. Often alcohol is part of that problem.
The biggest problem I see now is the Texting Fools.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #122
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Sitting up high in a truck it's amazing what you can see. It bothers me when I see people reading books opened across their steering wheels. And it's more often then we would want to believe.

Drive safely. There's no other way.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote