Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm surprised at some of the comments here.

The rig on the video simply demonstrates what happens when you remove weight from the tongue and place it at the back of a towed vehicle. The "tow vehicle" is irrelevant because the oscillation induced is around the pivot point on the ball. It wouldn't matter what you were towing with, that oscillation would occur anyway under the conditions set up in the test.

How a heavy tow vehicle would handle that level of oscillation might be interesting to see, but a heavy Airstream swinging that wildly at speed is going to defeat any tow vehicle.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #16
Paul Zmann

Currently Looking...
Garland , Texas
One question, are you going to move all of your belongings fro the couch on the front of the trailer to the headboard at the back of the trailer? Pots, pans, food, clothes etc. if the would have demonstrated the weight distribution by using 3 weights moving the fro front, to the middle, and to the back it would be more realistic. One weight in the front, one in the middle, & one in the back to demonstrate the benefits of a distributed load. Being a retired engineer, it is showing two extremes worst case fore, worst case aft. There are all kinds of distributions that would actually help in towing.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I do understand the premise, having experienced trailer sway as a young know it all pup. Luckily I knew enough to accelerate to an uphill section.

I wonder how some modern tow vehicles vehicle stability control programme will be able to control trailer sway. Doesn't Ford have some form of anti trailer sway with the new F-150, or is it GM or RAM? Found it, Toyota may also have something on the Tundra.

I also wonder how long it will be before your trailer will have stability control, to interact in conjunction with the TV's control? Maybe something for Airstream and a TV manufacturer to consider.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Heavier tow vehicle would not be affected, as a big dump truck pulling a pup trailer,Max loaded on truck with 4 axles is 55,500 and a 3 axle pup at max is 43,500, the truck is the leader and the pup follows, there is no tail wagging the dog...
Old 10-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Seems to me the video is intentionally "dramatic for effect". If you did lift everything off the tongue and put it in the back of the trailer, which you'd never do, but IF you did, the results would be pretty bad.

So the lesson is - don't hang stuff off the back of your trailer, don't be too light on the tongue, and balance the load.

Having said all that - there's been some speculation here about heavier tow vehicles not being affected or virtual pivot point projection hitches not being affected - it would be great to see models of those as well just to test those theories. Anyone know how to set that up? I wonder if a trade school would take that on as a project?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Seems to me the video is intentionally "dramatic for effect". If you did lift everything off the tongue and put it in the back of the trailer, which you'd never do, but IF you did, the results would be pretty bad.

So the lesson is - don't hang stuff off the back of your trailer, don't be too light on the tongue, and balance the load.

Having said all that - there's been some speculation here about heavier tow vehicles not being affected or virtual pivot point projection hitches not being affected - it would be great to see models of those as well just to test those theories. Anyone know how to set that up? I wonder if a trade school would take that on as a project?
I have almost 2 million miles with 3 and 4 axle dump trucks pulling 2 and 3 axle pup trailers, off the pintal hitch behind the rear axle ,all on skinny roads, the truck is always heavier than than the trailer, by as much as 10,000 lbs the tail never wags the dog, only one time, I dumped the truck and went down the highway with a loaded pup five miles, at 35 mph , the trailer weighed 43,500 and the truck at 27500 , it was on the scary side and I never let that happen again, also their is not a lot of weight on the pintal hitch, if you unhitched the loaded pup, you most likely will have to find 2 fat boys to push it down back down on the hitch , my dodge weighs 8850 and there are 7400 on the trailer axles and it handles very nice, Ii is not a KW and pup but it is good...
Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Seems like Propride or other 4 bar linkage hitch manufactures should make up a model like this treadmill and use it to demonstrate the advantage of their products at RV shows or put a video on their Websites. Action (demonstrations) are better than words. Seeing is believing.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I saw this on Facebook and it did catch my attention. While it is extreme, I do think it still has some merit and not a bad visual for folks new to towing.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Dayton , Ohio
Isuzusweet, At least Ram & Chevy and probably the other two also have anti-sway on their trucks much like the Ford system. Some of the newer AS also have some type of anti sway with brake control and it works in conjunction with the trucks anti sway. I felt them work one night on an icy bridge in WY and was impressed. No drama but I realized they caught it before I did and had I not had them that it may have became a white knuckle experience.
Delivering Airstreams from Mfg 2 dealers RAM EcoDiesel factory brake controller, tow mirrors, hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12,000, Andersen 4" drop/rise no sway WDH, TLC axle to frame air bags mini compressor, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max RAM 1500 GCAR 7,800, CVWR 15,950
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
What type of anti sway do the new AS have? Never heard of that.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Your never looked at the TUSON device? Read Andrew Thomsons review.

And just about anyone can install it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You people just don't get it. That is an excellent demonstration of tongue weight and how it effects sway control. It has nothing to do with the placement of the axles or the load limit of the TV.

It is all boiled down to the design considerations for a trailer that the tongue weight should be between 10 and 12% of the trailer weight. Violate that and you have a problem. Now some will post that they have loaded heavy to the rear and have a WD hitch that works. It has worked so far but when that trailer wants to go into oscillation they will become believers if they live through it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
10-15%.

Higher is "better", but it's on a flattened curve past 15%. But not below 10% for a travel trailer.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
What effect is mounting a generator, and other materials on the back of a trailer? How about overweight. I am sometimes amazed with the amount of baggage that is loaded onto trailers, fifth wheeler and yes motor homes. Someday trailers, 5th wheelers and busses will be required to pull into weight stations.
Probably right after they start enforcing speed limits for buses and vehicles towing trailers. I'm amazed how fast tour buses are driven.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote