1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Not a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Yikes!

I'm happy to hear no one was hurt.

So, what is the wheel base vs. torque matter?

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering...will I be able to tow my 28' Ambassador with a '64 Suburban?
Hi Yukionna, I have my hands full when I tow the 22' Safari with the Burb. Yes, It's a single axle and a duel axle is more forgiving. But, the short wheel base and coil spring rear suspention will not support a trailer that big. You will have enough power to pull the trailer. I just think that its not a good fit. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fun of your 64 Suburban.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
It might be salvagable for a frame-off restoration, but I'm not making any promises.
Only if I can find that Titanium Mastercard someone mentioned in another thread! (preferably in someone else's name)

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
Greeneville , Tennessee
Funny how when there is a 3/4 ton truck attached to one of these wrecks the cause is always a "mystery".
Old 09-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
I also am glad noone was hurt (and no other vehicles were involved), but somehow I don't think that this trailer was their "beloved" Airstream...but I certainly cringe to think of ours on it's side. In this accident, I feel that the "gust of wind" put the trailer into a tail-wagging-the-dog position, and the accident was the result of many variables (speed probably contributed greatly).

I am glad that this info was shared. It is a reminder of the vulnerability while traveling, and helps me remember that trying to save 1/2 hour on my next trip may have unexpected consequences.

I am working toward a safer TV/trailer setup. Towing my 31' Excella, I have a 3/4 ton diesel with 8' bed and extended cab, and use weight distribution. I am researching HAHAs or other advanced systems as well, but cannot afford them yet. I am trying to control what I can control, because there are so many things out there that will work against me on the road. (I was going to say "may" work against me, but I feel that sooner or later, something will surprise me. It's like motorcyclists where there are two kinds: those that have fallen, and those that will.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
Funny how when there is a 3/4 ton truck attached to one of these wrecks the cause is always a "mystery".
I have only seen one 3/4 ton truck accident posted, and that was a spin-out on ice (other than one other, which was a rear-ending by a tractor-trailer). As I have searched and read posts/threads with accident info, I have found many with smaller or shorter vehicles. Your profile doesn't show what tow vehicle you have, but with a 31' AS, I assume that you have a 3/4 ton or larger.
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think all Airstreams are beloved...or at least they should be or they should be passed on to someone who will love them!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsmtnlab
regardless of the truck (unless maybe its a navistar MXT), you're gonna need to pay close attention to hitch equipment and loading....

quiping on this picture was easy...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
The owner's manual for my 1979 31' International shows it hooked up to an El Camino. Makes you wonder how they ever towed them back then.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Mine shows a 2 door Olds - that would have had a 112 inch wheel base. Surely they didn't tow with that.......
Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Mine shows a 2 door Olds - that would have had a 112 inch wheel base. Surely they didn't tow with that.......

Wally used a bicycle.

There are many factors that can be involved with a loss of control accident.

Speed, is just one of them.

Andy
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Yikes!

I'm happy to hear no one was hurt.

So, what is the wheel base vs. torque matter?

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering...will I be able to tow my 28' Ambassador with a '64 Suburban?
I'm just thinking it's the case of the tail wagging the dog.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
El Caminos had big engines back then. I'm sure a towing package was more than a hitch and transmission cooler like you get today. I'd think there were other upgrades, even though I have not idea. But, they were body on frame construction. You don't see that too often today. I know unit-bodies can tow, but I'm not convinced they do it as well as traditional body-on-frame construction.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Speed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Wally used a bicycle.

There are many factors that can be involved with a loss of control accident.

Speed, is just one of them.

Andy
SPEED... no truer word was ever spoken. My Aunt Jean had two or three Airstreams over a 20 year period starting in the mid 50's. Back then she expected to tow at about 40-50mph max. AND the roads were a lot less crowded. She stayed in the right hand lane and pulled OFF the road at a rest stop or gas station if she was creating a big backup behind her.

She always towed her streams with station wagons, (I think the biggest one was a 28') and she always went down hill slowly - saying "gravity is NOT our friend when going downhill. It's a lot easier to stop a trailer going downhill at 40 than at 60.

Paula
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
This is also being discussed on RV.NET. The seller is a member at that site, and indicates that while he "knew" better . . . .

That said, I might have driven this rig across town in a quiet hour of the morning, but that'd be about it. I feel truly bad for him, he'd just bought it if I understand correctly.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I am 100% positive that the formula of a wheelbase of 110" for the first 20' of trailer and 4" per foot thereafter is inacccurate most of the time. Physics tells me this formula misleads. To really solve this problem I would want to know 1. Speed being traveled; 2. Weight of tow vehicle vs. weight of trailer; 3. Width of tow vehicle; 4. Number of tires-4 or 6 of tow vehicle; 5. Where are tires located on trailer as to its length; 6. How is weight balanced on trailer; 7. Condition of tires and road surface; and 8. How much surface area (tall) is exposed to side forces. OK, I'm fussy and a bit of a geek but somebody will get killed if they rely on a simple formula when so many other factors have to come in play.

For instance, remember the famous pic of the French racing cyclist towing an AS. On flat ground he would not generate enough speed (4-5 mph, maybe) to cause the trailer to ever sway under any circumstances so the tow vehicle/ bicycle is safe; run the speed to 20 mph and he's in the ditch. Without looking at any other factor than speed, the faster you tow the larger your tow vehicle has to be to counteract trailer wind resistance that increases much more rapidly than even a modest increase in speed would seem to indicate.

That said our friend the Xterra may have been safe at 35 mph (or not) towing the trailer but at real highway speeds he was doomed to fail. For all of the above and for all other reasons that escape me but which are nonetheless present ditch that simplistic formula.